Spawn Camping Deterrent Idea

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Wishlist' started by JON10395, January 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InsolubleFluff

InsolubleFluff New Member

1. I play assassin and am usually in the opponents base any ways, turrets don't scare me because I have cloak, so I can easily just bomb up on to their spawn ring and grab an un-suspecting gunner or assault, however, you're suggesting that I should be penalized for going on to this ring?

2. I rage quitted? I don't do that very often, I usually just leave a game if my friends invite me to another game. I'll usually try to stick around a bit if I die so it doesn't seem like I'm rage quitting if I'm not, so if you could please let me know the scenario, that'd be great.

3. I was being spawn killed yesterday and I still managed to get out of my base, kill the spawn killers and push my bots. Sure I had more deaths than I usually would, but I still came out with a positive KD, so I hardly see why this is a problem. It's literally a case of, if people are playing as dicks, leave. The game isn't about winning, it's about having fun. Say I'm wrong all you like, but you clearly don't know why you bought the game in the first place if you think it's about always winning :)!
  2. sxd24

sxd24 Member

How about Jon's idea plus an added ShaveIce effect? ShaveIces already deter pros by themselves, and it would give your team an advantage over those on the spawn ring, who are now slowed AND have no ready skills.

Just a thought.
  3. DistinctQuantic

DistinctQuantic New Member

I actually like the ShaveIce effect idea (with maybe just a bit of an extended range [really only several feet] beyond that top ring, and would only be an asset on Spunky and I suppose G3). It would make it more difficult for campers to run to cover behind the glass barriers, giving the oppressed team a little extra time to fight off the aggressor(s), and/or entice them to flee from the ring. Of course, there's still the conflict of skill usage on the ring, which brings me to my own idea.

Perhaps a sort of skill retrogradation could be implemented. Like, once something crosses that ring-line, everything reverts to level 1. Sure, you could throw a level 3 bomb/airstrike from the ground or surrounding areas, but once it lands, it only has the power of the level 1 version. Cloak goes back to its crappy base, deploys don't add crits, damage reduction, or infinite ammo. Ice traps... well they'll be level 1 ice traps, which is still better than skill drain and duration from the higher levels. Now with firebases, even a 1.1 isn't much of a threat, but I'm not too sure what can be done if they're used below the base/ring (if they're off to the side, an airstrike can take care of them). I don't know, work with it what you will.

My other thought is that maybe when an enemy is on the upper ring, their endorsements all become bronze. It would definitely give that team an advantage that the oppressors wouldn't want to face.

If I read through everything correctly, the subject at hand is the problem of players actually being on the ring and the usage of skills to spawn-camp, so here's my two cents on the matter. I'm not too familiar with being on the barrel-end of this situation ^.-
  4. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

1.No, not penalized, discouraged from camping.

2.I'm confused... Did someone here say you rage-quit?

If it's about this:
    Then this:
    3.Good for you.

Please don't presume to know how or why I bought this game. I bought this game because I wanted it. That's all you need to know.

You have voiced the same opinion 3 times. I get it, you don't like the idea. I'm fine with that. I'm not trying to please YOU, I'm trying to come up with an idea that will deter people from doing something that is generally frowned upon.

BTW Fluff, this ^^^ was all RHETORICAL. Like I said, you have stated three times that you don't like the idea. Everyone who is trying to help knows you don't like it. Don't feel like you NEED to post here. If you see a better idea, post there. If you have a better idea, start a thread. Hell, even start an "ANTI-JON'S IDEA" thread.

Moving on:

SXD, I like your Shaveice idea. I do believe it would be a little too much combined with skill drain though. One or the other. ;)

DistinctQuantic, thank you for bringing ideas to solve a problem that exists in MNC. Your ideas are definitely fresh and well thought out. In fact I love them. I'm just not too sure how easy it would be to implement them. You see, Shaveice and Skill-drain are already a part of the game and team-based. They would be much easier to add to the spawn ring.
  5. AtomGone

AtomGone New Member

I dunno, after reading through everybody's points and ideas, the best one is still the obvious interior ejector. It would destroy turrets and traps and knock pros about. It would still have a delay, so it couldn't be abused too badly and seriously, not having $50 to use it would be quite rare, and is easily made up, but at least it's a bit of a cost.

The button should be placed opposite wall of the center spawn bay door, so you have to turn around upon spawn to use it. I also personally like the idea of a view screen there of the spawn ring, so you can see it go off.
  6. TOM12121112

TOM12121112 New Member

ejectors do not destroy bombs.icetraps, and even if they would, they would not get rid of deployed gunners. AND i can see it easily being abused to stop people from shooting your ball.
  7. AtomGone

AtomGone New Member

First off - Special Ejector that destroys traps - done.

2ndly - Deployed Gunners can be gotten around already by picking a different exit, besides, I've rarely seen a deployed gunner aiming at the door and killing spawning in pros, I'm sure it happens but just don't take the middle door, and drop down to avoid the guy. Also, the ejector can do damage to the gunner at least, making it easier for the newly spawned players to kill him, or encourage him to GTFO.

Finally - Abused? Really, as long as there's a solid delay on it, not really. At best an ejector can be used once a minute I think? In Overtime, that could get used exactly twice, IF the OT went to the wire. That's hardly abuse-able.

But fine, I had a better idea that functions similarly: Spawn-Ring Trap floor.

Basically, similar to an ejector, but the Spawn ring floors fold down dropping anyone and everything on it, but doesn't do damage. Basically it's a classic trad door concept that everyone's familiar with from the one in Mr. Burns' office. It removes traps AND Firebases AND deployed Tanks/Guners from at least the ring, but won't kill weaker pros who wander in. It wouldn't be terribly useful for much but to clear enemies off the ring, but it would still have a minute delay to prevent over use.

Problem solved.
  8. TOM12121112

TOM12121112 New Member

im suprised you are unaware of the deployed gunner thing. probably the second most common spawnkilling next to icetraps. all they have to do is deploy on top of the glass wall and the ejectors wouldnt work; AND they can see all three doors when they do this.
  9. DistinctQuantic

DistinctQuantic New Member

Thanks. And yeah, that's what I was trying to figure out too with the upgraded skill denial. But my logic with the bronze endorsement deal was that if they can make 'em all gold with bacon, then the ring could act as a big, sunny side up egg that does just the opposite - degrade your strength. It could just be a threshold type of trigger, although I'm not exactly sure how much work is involved with integrating one. But I suppose it would have to act the same way a skill-drain or ShaveIce effect would.

Problem not solved. When the ring opens, hovering classes could do just that and wait for the ring to close again. So what next? Extend the ring's open time to outlast the hovering units? Then the entrenched team has no where to walk out to, the camping team can sit by the lift pads waiting for it to close again, get right back on when it does. And not to forget the glass at the end of the ring which would cause some very awkward transitions. But still a viable idea nonetheless.
  10. Kolcro

Kolcro New Member

The best ways to deter the spawn campers is if people have a "back-door" out of the spawn area.

I have seen suggestions for jump pads and teleporters, and I believe the proper combination of both of these would give the necessary exits to the spawn without spoiling the early/mid game spawning.
  11. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Jon, what took you so long to be active on the forums? Everything you post is an instant win. I don't know what's better you being active or your signature?
  12. Providence

Providence New Member

Ejector idea does seem to be the simplest and best idea so far. As for the shave ice and skill drain, I don't like it but if it is implemented, it should be disabled if moneyball shield goes down and when it goes to overtime obviously.
  13. AARPS

AARPS New Member

I really like that idea, it's nice because it takes advantage of what is already there.
    Actually I like that, the freeze ring, the drain ring, the flame ring and the ejector but I think Richy Woo's is probably the strongest. Given that you see a lot of gunners deploy on the glass, the ring based defenses wouldn't help as much as a remote spawn.

What about after x amount of deaths x time you spawn with juice? So like 3 deaths in a minute (or maybe it needs to be deeper - 3 deaths within 15 seconds of spawning in a minute - or how ever the details work out.) But after the *trigger* you spawn already juicing and get a chance to clear out the offender?
  14. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

Stuff like this...
    And this...
    Maybe the fact that I had to do this...
    Ya know what? THIS IS WHY! :|
  15. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

We're exploring some backdoor solutions. Yes I used exploring and backdoor in the same sentence. Twice.
  16. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

Yay! I'm so glad I can drop this. Thanks Eka! I'm sure we'll all love the backdoor ;)
  17. AmazeTheory

AmazeTheory New Member

Surely there will be a way to camp both doors if teams are organized and good?
  18. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

It will be harder to do but we'll see with our testing.
  19. AmazeTheory

AmazeTheory New Member

God speed.
  20. F5in

F5in New Member

Some of the ideas in this topic are really bad, especially the ejector one. If they implement that, I can just sit in my spawn and wait for people so I can eject them. WOOH, FLAWLESS EVERY MATCH.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.