Spawn Camping Deterrent Idea

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Wishlist' started by JON10395, January 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

And here comes Hudson with a even better thought out idea after reading all of this. I actually really like this idea better. Though how does that work for an enemy firebase?

Now that I think about it this would kind of change how some tactics work, in a way, since when the enemy's ball is down those who can fly/jump high get onto the ring from the front opening and use skills from the ring on the ball and turrets. The Assault would only get off one bomb while on the ring and same for the Tank's product grenade, Sniper's Flak.
  2. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

If I read this right, you could still throw ice traps on spawn doors, back off, shoot, rinse and repeat. Same goes for most other classes that have a solid spawn camping advantage.

Back on the remark about turning it off in O.T., It is the strategy of MANY players Oxy ;) to drop the ball and let the bots do the work. Maybe if the ball drops, turn it off....
  3. DeadStretch

Jon with a rebuttal! Damn I'm conflicted...
  4. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

What about this:

Most of us know what Uber did to fix the Assault from being able to fly onto the spawn room. For those who don't, when you get to a certain altitude, the fly skill drains completely. So we know it's not too far out of Uber's reach to make ONE skill drain when going somewhere they are not supposed to go.

Class/Skill specific Skill Drain Aura.
  5. AmazeTheory

AmazeTheory New Member

Herp derp.

You can still spawn camp with out skills.

Supports can throw bombs to doors from far away. (Likewise with assaults)
    Gunners can stand right in front waiting, still doing strong damage. (Supports could heal while doing so).
    Assassins can still wait outside without invis and just time the grapple right. Or keep firing shurikens at the doors.
    Tanks can still have deadly close range for JetGun and spin attack.

Also most maps you can still spawn kill (slightly less hard but same annoyance and keeps them back/dead). You can put fire bases on the ground at the moneyball where many people will drop to save the ball. Firebases placed at bot spawns, pushing your bots, and Jackbots to the moneyball. When our team is so pushed and there is like 2 Jacks in the ball, I've seen 3-5 enemy pros fall down from spawn right onto the Jackbot only to get blasted off the map.

In a way having great control of the map and area on the enemy's side is worse than just waiting outside doors. It forces them to come out, to save the ball, and try get kills, to make ground to your own side of the map. Only when they come out and try to move a lane, there's 2 firebases controlling the mid and the lane. There's a gunner with the hight advantage and controlling the ejector. Something I do a lot is place Sniper traps beside turret buy spots, then SMG/Grapple to death. Much more frustrating imo.
  6. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

Glad you could chime in with that nugget!

What I propose would be a solution to make spawn campers on your spawn ring NOT have the advantage. You can't outright fix douchebagery and I know that.
  7. AmazeTheory

AmazeTheory New Member

Fair enough. Not having an advantage would be good. But it won't stop it. If the players being spawn killed are bad, they'll just keep running out. Outskilling someone even without skills is possible...

Spawn killing/camping in this kind of game just can't not happen.
  8. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

I can agree with that. However, I think this would deter a fair amount of people from doing it. I'm sure most can agree that helping is better than hurting.
  9. InsolubleFluff

InsolubleFluff New Member

Skill Drain is an incredibly poor idea based on the fact that it is annoying for players that come on to the spawn ring simply to run away from people attacking them in enemy bases or if you are legitimately chasing somebody and they run to their spawn ring.

Like two of us have now said, spawn killing not being done on the spawn ring will not end spawn killing, it will just move it to entrances and exits where you have no cover and a long way to run before you get any.

I think simply getting better at the game would be a solid argument. Or leaving that match is possible too...
  10. DeadStretch

Technically you CAN NOT spawn kill in MNC since you have a whole safe room to yourself which you can choose to leave at anytime. Waiting or placing a bomb/trap/firebase right at they exit is what we consider spawn killing in MNC. If you are able to control the spawn exits from a distance then kudos to you but that is just one exit and even 3 seconds of breathing is enough to make some space for you team.

Skill drain or slow recovery is a great idea simply for the fact that bombs, ice traps and even firebases can't be placed to kill farm the spawning enemy team. If your sole purpose is to control spawning Pros your weaponry should be more then enough to prevent the enemy team from taking out your Moneyball destroyers.
  11. Providence

Providence New Member

Skill drain is a bad idea because bombs can still be thrown from under the ring.The solution should be simple and not detract from gameplay for either side.
  12. DeadStretch

If the solution should be simple then what is it? How about this each team spawns on opposite sides of the map that should be enough to deter spawn campers.

See we are trying to help you.
  13. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Not sure if this has been suggested before, but what about adding a burn for being on the enemy spawn ring? Like what they did for the tops of the bot spawns, but not as severe. More like while you are on the enemy spawn ring, you are on fire like from the tank's afterburn. It would force the enemy team to eventually drop from the spawn ring instead of staying up there. But not negate your ability to go up there and kill someone if need be, just be quick about it.

Maybe combine it with increased skill cooldown/drain and it would be in the enemy team's best interest not to stay up there too long.
  14. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

So, you think it is an "incredibly poor" idea because you want to chase someone who is running away from you while you are in their base that, I would assume, has no other defenses just to kill someone?
    You're right. I retract. How annoying!

Go push bots. The person you were chasing is running away.

Based on that comment, it seems you are part of the problem here. However, I hope you forgive me if I made a false assumption.

And I'm pretty sure if spawn killing doesn't take place on the spawn ring, it's not spawn killing. That sir is kill farming. Like I said before, I don't have a fix for douchebagery.
    Think of it this way Fluff. If your team has surrounded the enemy base and are not spawn killing because you are "not on the spawn ring", your team has already taken out their turrets and are working for the objective anyway. I'm fine with that. We're talking about matches that go into overtime because all you want to do is kill people as they exit their spawn.

New solution to spawn killing straight from Insoluble Fluff: Get Better, Or Quit.
    That's awesome! I 'm glad we're making progress. :|

Providence, if you are throwing a bomb or ice trap from under the ring, your team has taken out rockets and working objective. After that, you are suppressing pros.

Hostile, I like that idea. I just don't think you should need to take damage for being up there. There are times where you are in the enemy base and need to get up there to escape from enemy fire. I would be "annoyed" if I was running from an Assault, had a sliver of health and died at the hands of a spawn ring. :x
  15. Scented Midget

Scented Midget New Member

*not serious
    **serious
    *Wouldn't that have been a good idea when you raged on me? Sorry to derail your thread Jon, just lurking through muddy waters again ;)
    Like your mom?
    Get better at marble game.

**In all seriousness(**), I support this idea, but as a gunner I never deploy on a spawn ring and still kick some major tale spawn killing people. I actually never deploy.
    Myself, not being a competent at idea making can't think of anything other than maybe slowing down the Rate of Fire on guns by 50% and slowing down skill regeneration by 50%.
    So even if they do get a bomb or an ice trap on your door, it will take a damn while for them to recharge their skills, plus their RoF is slowed giving you the upper hand.
    Thoughts Jon?
  16. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

I think slowing RoF is WAY too much.

Just a little help for people who come in here and call this a bad idea because it "won't stop spawn camping":

17. Richy Woo

Richy Woo New Member

All these ideas seem a little to complicated to me, Here is a simple little idea that I came up with that would help when your stuck in your base.

During the Re-spawn Countdown, for about 50-100 dollars, give pros the ability to hold down the left or right trigger and re-spawn inside the left or right bot entry point's rather than their base. This allows for some sneaky defensive flanking tactics and makes it a whole lot harder for your enemies to fully lock your base down.
  18. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

What I said seems complicated?

So to remove a camping sniper, you have to pay $50-$100 to spawn somewhere else and go try to remove the sniper. Remember, if unsuccessful, you are going to be $50-$100 poorer and spawn killed, AGAIN. Let's not forget that you are not just trying to remove 1 player from his "camp-site", you need to fight through anyone that tried to stop you.
    Or, a large portion of your team (4-6 players) will do this and your team will have just spent $200-$600 for a chance to push out.
    Last edited: January 5, 2011
  19. Richy Woo

Richy Woo New Member

Yes
  20. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

Noted.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.