Some changes in how we use PTE

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, November 10, 2014.

1. jables

jables Uber Employee

I would agree if this did not break all Live usage for people using mods. We will be fixing the current issues and releasing it once it is safe to release :)
    Remy561, Planktum, elodea and 2 others like this.
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

OUCH. Yeah, please fix those. Yikes.
  3. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

"paid" and "work" in conjunction are just words too.
    pieman2906 and squishypon3 like this.
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

You might be a little too close to the problem :)
    tatsujb likes this.
  5. mered4

Patch?Patch?Patch?Patch?Patch?Patch?Patch?Patch?Patch?Patch?Patch?Patch?Patch?Patch?
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Problem? there is only a tree here
    zihuatanejo, tatsujb and Quitch like this.
  7. mered4

....a burnt tree.

Ooooh

BURN.
  8. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Are you able to use UI mods (i.e. hotbuild) in a normal match, i.e. ranked 1v1?
    I just noticed that there is a one click shortcut (in the hotbuild mod) for Turret with walls. This sort of thing is not acceptable in a competitive RTS. Starcraft 2 detects keyboard macros for this very reason. If this sort of thing is built into the standard build of the game then it's fine because everyone has access to it. Otherwise people can build mods which give them an advantage.
  9. mered4

There is, but I don't use it. I'm not cheeseball. :D
  10. Planktum

Whether you use it or not. This shouldn't be allowed and Uber (@jables) needs to make sure this is changed asap. I'm happy for people to use mods on local AI games or in lobby game which clearly state mods allowed, but not in competitive online play. There is no way this game would ever become an eSports game with this allowed.
  11. mered4

Idk. They could ask Pro to remove it. It's only a few lines of code.
  12. Planktum

I'm not talking about removing the "Turret with walls" autobuild feature in the hotbuild mod. If you want to use this mod in a modded matchup thats fine. I'm talking about removing the ability to use mods in standard games where your opponent has no idea you are using a mod.
  13. jables

jables Uber Employee

Just to update here. This will probably be pushed until tomorrow at the earliest. I want to make sure we have this fixed before it goes live. Bad enough bug we don't want it slipping out.
  14. cola_colin

Being a good player means to a) know how to play the game and b) know how to equip yourself to play at your best ability. That means you have to read into mods as well. That's the whole point. PA is not like sc2, were fighting the interface is part of the game (I don't mean that in a negative way, it is fun, but it's just a different kind of game)
    stuart98, Quitch, squishypon3 and 4 others like this.
  15. mered4

That would be terribad. Though there should be some sort of indicator for WHAT mods your opponent is using.
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. cola_colin

They are using the API that the PA server offers to clients. What kind of UI they are using should be completely irrelevant.
    The only limit might be somewhere with AI's that play at 10k APM for you. But that's pretty far away from what the AI can do right now and actually the API the client has is too limited to build any meaningful AI. The "place walls around turret" is already riding the edge of what's possible.
    stuart98, mered4 and lokiCML like this.
  17. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

First, I'm not even sure the imbawall turrets are working anymore. Used to be ALT+click, just tested and it doesn't do anything at all.
    Previously the walls blueprint were simply stacking on top of the turret, so they weren't building. And before that it was working and was awesome :D
    Maybe @proeleert can clarify this.

Second, Hotbuild is not really different from Uber's own hotkey system, at the particularity of building cycle and a much better UI for the settings ;)
  18. cola_colin

It is still working if you shift-queue it, no idea why it is broken if you omit shift. I think
  19. mered4

Slipping out, eh?
    I won't tell if you won't
  20. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

It still works but you have to make sure you are doing it right.
    Don't zoom while doing it place it in the middle of your screen. Wait a bit.