Some changes in how we use PTE

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, November 10, 2014.

1. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Ehh, sounds a bit over rationalized to me. IF the pathing worked, this kind of map would be awesome.
  2. foxzorz

foxzorz New Member

I like the way this is going, but I can't help but feel that lots of small plateaus joined together in order to create choke points just looks messy in my opinion, it's actually really confusing as I can't tell where I can squeeze through or where I can't due to the annoying little rubble bits that fill in the gaps. It plays with my eyes :/

They should fully join up and be big singular terrain entities. Like in supcom, where you'd have big plateaus and mountains forming the terrain, not just lots of little mountains scrunched together to make a mountain.

My thoughts anyway :)
    ViolentMind likes this.
  3. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Which is part of the reason I liked the alpha plateaus and mesas - they had less of those annoying little rocks to them making them much easier to read pathing wise.
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

You're right, but you need to watch some of the old Beta games, where expansion was king.
    Murcanic likes this.
  5. mered4

*Waiting for my PTE*

Anyone else? :D
    Murcanic likes this.
  6. jables

jables Uber Employee

Still working on getting builds changed to allow for this sort of testing. We are shooting for today. I will let you know if we think it will slip. We are currently working on an issue that will mess up a lot of modding stuff if we release it now, so holding off until we get that taken care of (yay trying to merge code when everything isn't finished :p )
    LmalukoBR, Murcanic, Remy561 and 8 others like this.
  7. superouman

superouman Post Master General

!patch
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Actually hhe might have taken part I'm some, though maybe he was only around in Alpha, I can't remember when IG fell.
  9. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

You are letting mods get in the way of releasing the PTE? The PTE is supposed to be there for testing changes, not a stable environment in which mods will work.
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

If it only takes an hour or two to fix it I don't see why they should not fix it, if it is an issue that affects a lot of people. And i.e. no ui mods working at all would affect a lot of pte-playing people, as they are very likely to use ui mods.

Though even generalized: It's not a good idea to rush some build by ignoring an issue that can be fixed within that short time frame and will have to be fixed asap anyway. It takes time to push builds after all. Don't want to push now and 2 hours later push again, if it can be prevented.
    stuart98 and squishypon3 like this.
  11. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I'm sure modders would disagree. Remember, Uber is obligated to support modders, and so they are.
    stuart98 likes this.
  12. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Well that depends on if they're worried about mods breaking or modding infrastructure getting in.
    stuart98 and Planktum like this.
  13. mered4

If i don't have hotbuild, I have trouble playing effectively. :(
    Please, at least make hotbuild work.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  14. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Oh, that's all they have to do, make pathfinding vastly superior to anything in existence today. Well then, Uber, make it so!
    pieman2906, Bsport and elodea like this.
  15. mered4

The impossible? It's just a word.
  16. Quitch

So is budget.
    pieman2906 and elodea like this.
  17. cola_colin

I tbh don't think it is that far off already. You just have to accept that you should not give move commands over long distances. That's the norm i.e. in FA, long distance move with big armies is rarely a good idea there.
  18. Quitch

Why? I can do it now so it seems pretty evident I don't need to accept anything of the sort.

Great, so they fixed a horrible FA limitation. Sounds good to me.
  19. mered4

Accept your fate. Use the Shift key.
  20. cola_colin

or just repeat the move commands you give every few seconds. Like I do. No difference between those 2 map types for me. Can't see the limitation. 2k hours of FA have burnt into my brain: "unit needs to be given shorter move commands if there are any sort of obstacles in the way"