Some changes in how we use PTE

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, November 10, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Custom symmetrical map with custom set choke points I believe. :p
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I guess those planets have hand placed brushes. That's hard to see, they should've used a simple LOL setup for demonstration purposes :D
    Basically if I understand this right you will have a map editor better than my hack in pte by tomorrow.
  3. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

e.g. Aerial-view-of-Uluru-aka-Ayres-Rock.jpg
    cms-140128-grandcanyon-6a_ee7d809aed208419725ced570f11576b.jpg
    jvickers, burntcustard and Zainny like this.
  4. cola_colin

Why does that thing remind me so much of a terrain feature in some supcom maps xD
    squishypon3 likes this.
  5. superouman

superouman Post Master General

oubghupfbdisfpduqsdfodubsfpeohbisfpoiesr
  6. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

1st: FastShippedPTEs are a good idea!
    2nd: You´ll have to advertise PTE more frequently in Kickstarter-Updates! Even the old way had too few players... :eek:
    3rd: Higher HeightRange for Maps, please!
    4th: Will the JigNuke be big enough to kill the attacking Avengers as well? Right now ten avengers can take out an entire field of Jigs with ease as long as you give them an attack queue!
    5th: See back soon! ;)
  7. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Note to self, read the whole post.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  8. squishypon3

Probably a good idea. :p
  9. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

@jables would it be possible to reduce the amount of data downloaded for updates? At 500KB/s its usually around 20 minutes or more of my Internet clogged up for the tupical update.
  10. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

Nuke jig strategy: if your opponent builds spaced jigs, buid your own jigs directly adjacent to each of his. Then neither can be destroyed without mutually depriving both sides of income. :D

Hope to see some fun findings out of these PTEs... naval testing when? :)
  11. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

That's already what the launcher does. It only downloads the (compressed) changed files. Otherwise you'd be downloading 1.4 GiB (also compressed) or so every time. That would take an hour with your speed.
  12. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

Can't wait to start seeing some badass maps from you ;) My expectations are high! :D
  13. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

I hope the nuke explosion effect is going to be adjusted for the fact that it is in space. The standard nuke explosions look silly when a commander explodes in the orbital layer.
    pieman2906, LeadfootSlim and iron71 like this.
  14. felipec

felipec Active Member

Awesome...
    Also, the pictures showed plateaus, a long time wanting feature =D
  15. cola_colin

I don't think they would make an extra effect just for an experiment with the jig, but if it turns out to work fine then yeah that would be good to have.

Plateaus work just fine engine AND pathfinding wise at least since the voxel pathfinding.
    That's actually a question.

Will it be possible to control if a brush is mergable and/or pathable? Those are quite important settings to make units walk over mountains :D
    pieman2906 likes this.
  16. squishypon3

Imagine a silly map where only some mountains are pathable, and you need to figure out which are. With dox just walking vertically up a mountain! Dilly game modes galore. :D
    corteks likes this.
  17. cola_colin

I've created just that situation in playing around with my map editor. The pathfinding makes it simple: the dox just find their way, even if you can't tell at all which brush is pathable or not, the pathfinding obviously knows. And yes dox can walk up walls if you configure the wall to be "flat ground", that's what "mergable" seems to mean.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  18. Zainny

Zainny Active Member

Can someone point of the plateaus for me in the images?

Also, if these images are examples of hand placed features, why are there numerous visible cracks running underneath mountains/hills (see bottom right of first picture, bottom & top-left of second picture) in a glitchy/unrealistic manner?

To me these maps actually generally look glitchy/broken.
  19. squishypon3

Most likely someone just throwing together a map, rather than really thinking about it.

Difference between an amateur and professional map designer. (Unless I'm assuming wrong?)

I think every map designee starts out with small basic maps and eventually builds up to something amazing. Even afamed designers like @superouman had to start somewhere. :p
  20. Zainny

Zainny Active Member

Maybe it's just me. I just expected that there wouldn't be clear and obvious glitches when jables initially wanted to highlight how these are examples of maps with hand placed features, show off the power of the new system editor, and stuff they've been playing on and wanted feedback on.
    squishypon3 likes this.