Some changes in how we use PTE

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, November 10, 2014.

1. cmdrflop

cmdrflop Active Member

No, why! I wanted to go to sleep :(
  2. jables

jables Uber Employee

Gorbles, squishypon3, cdrkf and 2 others like this.
  3. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

First AI firing of the Annihilaserâ„¢

ai_laser.jpg
  4. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Oh dear God. The time is now.
  5. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Fark me.
    mjshorty and squishypon3 like this.
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Oh my, that fast assist repair kbot~
    Last edited: November 18, 2014
  7. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I know right? :D
    squishypon3 likes this.
  8. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Fast Assist Repair Kbot o_O
    squishypon3 likes this.
  9. squishypon3

U-uh, I didn't mess up, clearly you just edited my post!

hehehe...
    mjshorty likes this.
  10. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Where was it advertised as anything other than concept art?
    corteks and squishypon3 like this.
  11. squishypon3

Exactly, and if he's seen concept art from any other game he'd know that the games very rarely match or are even that close to their concept art. Concept art is meant to be pretty and give a general idea of the aesthetic or something. :p
    corteks likes this.
  12. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

Generalized understanding of concept art is generalized. Also, incorrect. Not going to go there though. You almost had me when you acted like I wasn't even in the thread. Almost.

But nope. Nope! Not taking the bait today. Sorry. :)

Sorry, I wasn't aware that PA's concept art wasn't ever used for hype. Oh wait. :p

Concept art is promotional material used internally and externally which defines the direction where the art therein is going. Here's a good read about concept art. http://www.randbin.com/what-is-concept-art/

I don't want to write some super-elongated reply as it's really unnecessary, but I don't think either of you really understand the real issue behind creating concept art that isn't going to be even close to the finished product. The entire point of concept art is to define the concept you're looking for in some type of art form. If you don't even use the concept, why would you market it as promotional material? Games that do not match the concept art walk a fine line in the grey area which comes close to the term 'false advertising'.

Now, I don't think the concept art for PA has reached the level of false advertising, don't get me wrong. The artists and terrain modelers have done a smashing job of making some wicked looking biomes.

Don't think you're going to sit here and tell me concept art has no real meaning to the final visuals of a game when it's used directly as promotional art while the game is gaining momentum. I'm not stupid, and I'm calling you on it before you try to insinuate that I don't know what I'm talking about.

If I see concept art of mesas in a desert dwarfing the units and structures below and on top of them, am I not supposed to expect something similar in-game? I realize that concept art as promotional material isn't 100% accurate to the final product which is why it's so nice to see true in-game artwork used instead. What I don't understand is why we're not allowed to take images like that as-is and somehow magically we're supposed to know this asterisk was added sometime later :

*Warning! Cramped desert mesa biome does not come cramped with mesas, or any mesas at all, nor will it come with any type of terrain features that dwarfs everything on the battlefield. Also, swirls not included because lolololol.

I totally understand a different art-style, but the mesas and other major terrain additions are not things you can easily look-over. They would change the entire course of the game, and diversify the field immensely. In the image, most everything, bar the commander, changed, but they all still exist in some way. The buildings changed visuals, but still exist. The tanks and bots both changed slightly visually, but still exist. Even the cracks in the ground easily continued to live on through the legitimate complaints of pathing. The mesas did not. Why are they any different? Are you picking and choosing what part if the image is conceptual and what isn't?

I have to question whether you take your own comments seriously, sometimes. I'm not questioning something mundane and you know it. I'm questioning why a single game-changing feature did not make it out of the image when everything else did.

Edit : Wow, I knew I should have proofread this beforehand, but damn. I can really Engrish sometimes.. Fixed some wonky sentences.
    Last edited: November 18, 2014
  13. squishypon3

@Bgrmystr2

I didn't mean to act like you weren't in the thread, at first I was going to say "you", but that'd be weird since I was actually quoting someone who had quoted you, sorry if it came off differently than intended. :S
  14. Maldor96

Maldor96 Active Member

What. Have. You. Done?
  15. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

@masonmatter dude I just wanted to say your profile pic had me mesmerized. top job there, keep on keeping on!
  16. squishypon3

I'm not sure that's him, but if it is.

Daaaang, GG buddy! X3
  17. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

So nowhere.
    corteks likes this.
  18. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

It was advertised to people, and people want what was advertised to them. It's a simple concept lost to some. :rolleyes:

You don't go to the store and buy a dishwasher expecting the box to contain a sink, soap, some bottled water, and a letter that says "figure it out", do you? Not gonna lie, I'd laugh if I got that. Well played. Still gonna return it though.
  19. squishypon3

Conceptual designs are not the final design, it's exactly as it sounds. A concept.

Edit: it's not the same as what you say, if they show a picture right there after its been created and say "this is what you'll get" they cheated you, however if you saw the concept art for this dishwasher a year ago and now you decide to buy it, and it's different. That's what we're talking about.

Concept art is created to pitch an idea a *cough* concept, no where has it ever been the final. Again, just look at other game's concept art.
    corteks likes this.
  20. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

Once you start using concept art as advertising, and market it to incentivize purchase based on it, it ceases to be the simple concept it once was. That's where the line is drawn. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, simply that it happened.

Noone should be surprised that users want to see things shown in the concept art and things from the original trailer, even, when it's purposely marketed towards them to entice purchase in the first place. That's how marketing works. You don't have to deliver on concept art, most people don't see that till post-release anyway, but you should deliver on what you marketed, otherwise the playerbase usually has something to say about it. Which.. is what you've seen here. And there. There's actually quite a lot of it that happens, I really choose not to post because so much of it is either baseless or coming in the future. Also the threads become a warzone, and those are never fun.