So No Subs, ever?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by sigmud2, January 11, 2015.

1. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

I am quite certain that a kickstarter feature list is in no way a legally binding contract.
    philoscience, EdWood and MrTBSC like this.
  2. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

What would have to be done as a class-action in order to make it affordable. I really do think something like this needs to be deter the scammers. Class-action would lease deter some people from doing it. Hopefully it would be successful.:)
  3. sigmud2

sigmud2 Member

I really hope this thread doesn't turn into a legality thread :(
  4. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Your post is too late, it already happened! :D
  5. lokiCML

I spoke with a lawyer about contracts and they are highly contextual. It really does depend on a multitude of things like the behaviour of contracting parties, statutory law, previous case law, etc. It is not just what is written its the whole context that matters. In the end it really matters what the court thinks.:)
  6. lokiCML

Sorry about that.:(
  7. radongog

Nothing to feel sorry about...
    They´ve got moral boundings to deliver a game that meets the original vision. They reached that goal. Now they are aiming for the stretched goals, but they aren´t legally bound in any way!
    ...now you know why you don´t have to feel sorry about: I´m on that topic as well! :cool:
  8. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Subs.... I'd love to see them again. In Beta, I lost a match because I built a sub rather than a leviathan. :D they were utterly useless and acted like ships with a different model.

However, naval's getting the goods so maybe subs are on their way back!
  9. lokiCML

The thing is because Uber accepted the pledges they are and the stretch goals are equal to the initial funding goal when it comes to obligations. :)
  10. radongog

Yeeees...
    ...no! It´s about trust, not about obligations. You believe in them to do so, but legally there is nothing to force it in current laws! Oh, and if they´d fail we wouldn´t have any possibility to get our money back. Risk of failing as a part of crowdfunding, like it or not! But really: Who would want a refund? PA already is a great game.
    (anyways, I don´t think there is any Dollar left from the original foundings. I guess even everything gained from early access-phase is already gone! I hope we´ll see another HumanResources-Kickstarter soon. Or one for something EVEN MORE AWESOME!)
  11. lokiCML

Please go back and read my other posts for greater context.;)
    Last edited: January 12, 2015
  12. radongog

I´ve read all your stuff in this thread and really don´t get what you´re hinting at...
  13. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

your question has been generaly been answered

SOON ... ... ....
  14. lokiCML

I'm not hinting at anything. I'm saying Uber were entered into a contract with every single backer and now has obligations to them. The thing about trust is it can only go so far and it can be broken. Once it's broken it is a least seven times harder to recover trust.:)
  15. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

considering release that trust has long been damaged ... this has nothing to do with that contract you talk about but uber simply have to regaining peoples trust .. their obligations to kickstarter are officialy over with the release of PA ..
  16. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

I guess there is a difference between pledging and buying something.
  17. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

For your argument to hold up, you'd need to be able to prove a loss as a result of not including subs. It is after all a sub point of a stretch goal and not the main goal of the project.

If there is any evidence that you have been able to use the product (e.g. several hundred hours of game time on steam) then any resulting damages would be almost nothing. Only someone who pledged for the game specifically for the inclusion of subs would really have an argument, which strikes me as unlikely given subs are neither unique or a key selling point of the game, beyond being part of the wider goal for the naval layer...
  18. lokiCML

I was responding to radongog's post word he was talking about trust. Uber's kickstarter obligations are finished when all backers received their proper pledge tier and stretch goals are completely finished.;)
  19. lokiCML

I can see why you're confused. I was merely addressing radongog's first quote in that post. Hopefully that clarifies.;) Now Galactic War on the other hand I specifically pledged for it. I haven't been able to play it due to a disability. Sorian's AI is to good I do not have enough time to respond to it. So I stopped playing PA because of this. What is wrong with putting two more difficulty settings like easy into GW or the resource modifier which already exists in skirmish mode. I also made a thread about it.:(
  20. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

But if i had money to burn on lawyer (ie money for waste) I would rather give it to uber than sue them.
    This time as a contract: for eg "I give you 500k you implement submarines and fix naval"

Ps.
    It is not Uber fault that they miscalculated funds needed for PA and complexity of this project. Well they kind of tried to jump higher than they can, and almost succeed. We rather should applaud them for trying hard.