SO Comm rush is still prevalent

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by beer4blood, January 17, 2014.

1. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Whoa, what? I can say fucked but I can't say ****?
  2. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

And a good counter comm rush is to flank bots around the tanks and eat the combat meds, or bomb the combat meds, or use pelters to eat the tanks and combat meds, and maybe even use bots to raid the enemies eco, particularly his power, so that his supply line is as equally as damaged as yours is becoming, and perhaps bomb the enemy trickle of tanks that is trickling into your base, and definitely meet his commander head-on somewhere that isn't your base

You shouldn't meet the commander on the outskirts of your base. You should meet the commander on the outskirts of his base. There are many many map seeds that are perfectly set up for commander rushes. He's pushing you. Push him back.

I held two commanders off, with their assisting fabbers and an assisting tank army, with one commander, by using exactly those tactics. I actually pushed them back to their base.

It's pretty easy to see a commander that isn't in your opponents base. Find him, and go into maximum defensive mode. Your enemy is being aggressive early on. There is nothing wrong with that. The only reason he is charging his commander at you is because he needs the commander to be a damage magnet and remove any defences you throw up.

Isn't that the essence of an RTS? Whatever your opponent is doing, you need to find out so you can counter it?

The commander isn't particularly OP once he gets overextended. I don't think this is an example of a cheesy tactic. You just need to overextend your opponents commander, once you've done that, you win. It could be refined

I think a problem that has been raised in this thread is health and metal.

I think health and metal cost should be separated. I don't think you should ever spend economy to heal units in an RTS. I understand that such an idea seems crazy, and I understand that in real life it costs money to heal people in a hospital. PM me if you have queries, I don't think they are relevant to this discussion.

Basically, I think that combat fabbers should add a certain amount of health back to a units health pool. I don't think they should cost metal to do so.

I think their "healing ability" should be a weapon, I think it should fall under the same energy requirements that bombers/pelters do.

If you compare most units to the commander, the commander is one of few whose healing rate is more than 1 health per second, sitting at 8.33
  3. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

you say tomato i say tahmahto. ido indeed know what cheese is apparently your definition is slightly different. cheese is easily exploited with a nice pay off. just like the old wall glitch, just like air units now killing air factories by firing at the units coming fresh off the line. sorry i dont see it cool to exact something that the game probably isnt intended for at the end product. your comm has weapns to defend against the early rush, to protect himself. add a few fabs or combat medand now hes an upgraded sc2 comm or the mods of TA that made your comm and ultimate warfighter. those were even better than this inmy opinion, because at least it only happened late game instead of 5 minutes in
    Last edited: January 19, 2014