Sniper's grapple OP?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by Bambam Bm, August 20, 2010.

1. faits

faits New Member

As an assassin you need to look for freeze traps before closing on a sniper. If you get caught in one and the sniper headshots you, it's over. If he's dumb enough to close on you for a grapple, and doesn't have his traps leveled up to sap skills, hit your own grapple. At that point it's a free kill for you. (The devs have confirmed that it was intentional that you can still grapple while frozen)

If you know the sniper has his freeze traps out (either from seeing them or from previously getting trapped in one), use your bomb jump to get over them. Land behind him. Kill him.

The sniper's grapple DOES seem overpowered for a class that is the best at long range and has the uzi for decent medium range, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to counter him.
  2. Bambam Bm

Bambam Bm New Member

I agree but traps does pushback ur grapple time, making it unable to grapple for 2-3 sec, by which a good sniper would have already grappled you by then. And as the sniper's grapple is a little slow, they can click their grapple before there even in range of you, make their grapple always hit first (unless theyve yet to master this skill).
  3. DelVega

DelVega New Member

Faits its true, as an assassin, you need to look for traps. But once you've found them, then what? lol. If they're well placed (i.e. closely surrounding the sniper) then the grapple is out of the question. Smoke jumping could work but only if the sniper has strayed away from the traps. But if not, smoke jumping into the traps would be the same as walking into them. As stated by Bam Level 3 prevents your grapple/abilities etc.

All you can do is shoot your shurikens and hope he stands still. If you miss, run. lol

Don't me wrong, some snipers roam around the map, not using traps and are easy kills. But were talking about the ones "tactfully" camping an area with traps.

With that said, it seems Freeze traps lvl 3 plus the snipers grapple lvl 2 mean the assassin is NOT the counter.

So who is?
  4. xCOLONEL QUESOx

xCOLONEL QUESOx New Member

Ha, this is fantastically true ;)
  5. StriderHoang

StriderHoang New Member

From where the discussion has been going, I think I'm fine with the grapple considering he doesn't have much to do at close range, but a sniper 'tactfully" camping is traps is a big headache.

I wish the traps had a larger hitbox so they can be disabled by one of any class' weapon. What do you think of this dynamic? You should be rewarded for thinking ahead about the possibility that the sniper has laid down traps and have a chance to disable them. Meanwhile, the sniper has time to actually turn around to check his six and have a chance to react accordingly to an assassin trying to disable a trap she has taken the time to spot.

The assassin is punished for not checking her surroundings and is frozen. Otherwise, the sniper is punished for not checking his surroundings and noticing that the assassin has taken the time (a few vital seconds) to disable his trap so she could assassinate him.

This situation can apply for any class, especially if the sniper has laid down a literal minefield, making hovering over them a pain.
  6. Geminosity

Geminosity New Member

As an Assassin, I didn't pay snipers much heed until I came across one or two competent ones. The first was the craziest because he would run up and front-grapple me out of the blue. I'm usually pretty situationally aware so I was surprised anyone got on the drop on me at all, let alone a ranged character trying and very much succeeding at beating me at my own game :p

The traps are also annoying because the few that seem to realise they have them also tend to upgrade them. I've only once successfully grappled one while iced, but reading this explains the other times it failed... always wondered why my grapple wasn't even going off :3

The thing I find odd is that the sniper has both this crazy grapple and the traps. The traps are in many ways the snipers ultimate 'stay away' ability so having the grapple ontop of that seems a little overkill. That said I'm not willing to really sit and say it's overpowered or anything like that because I've not played snipes myself but it did surprise me once I discovered it.
  7. Wutang85

Wutang85 New Member

The key to killing an Assassin is kill them from Medium Range....

it's harder for them to scope you because of the view and how close you are, and you are too care too grapple..

Yea they have the smg, but it's more for close-medium, rather than medium/medium-long range...

At least playing as an Assault, that is what I found.....

they are pesky though.
  8. Bambam Bm

Bambam Bm New Member

Why should a Sniper have the strongest grapple in the game? They are primarily a long ranged class, not a close ranged class. You would think the Assassin would have the strongest grapple as it's her specialty, giving the Sniper the strongest grapple is silly.
  9. obscurement

obscurement New Member

Yes, it is bad. The counter to a sniper is to get close, with that they're deadly at close range too. It'd be like if an assassin had a sniper rifle instead of the weeny shuriken gun.
  10. faits

faits New Member

shuriken gun needs a scope and an accuracy buff

uber are you listening
  11. faits

faits New Member

also, if any one gets in range of assassin's cloak they need to have their skills drained (how did you guys miss this one it is essential for balance)
  12. obscurement

obscurement New Member

Hell. Yes.
  13. Red Rain

Red Rain New Member

their grapple seems as strong as an assassin's back grapple + it has a throw. way way too strong
  14. Warskull

Warskull New Member

Another big thing is that snipers seems to have the best hitbox in the game. They are tall and thin and really don't give you much of a target, if there is a little lag it can be extremely difficult to hit them. You probably aren't hitting them with a shuriken launcher unless they are standing completely still.
  15. Amaranth

Amaranth New Member

Ground Pound and similar AoE effects will disarm the trap.
  16. Rawfulll

Rawfulll New Member

Yeah just like the assassin can disable the tr-

lol nvm bro.
  17. Warskull

Warskull New Member

Ground pound doesn't work. The only reliable options to disable traps are Assault's bomb and Support's air strike. You can technically use product bomb and grenade launcher, but they aren't viable in a real game. Mortar is slightly better off, but still bad enough that a sniper will kill you before you disarm his trap.
  18. Bambam Bm

Bambam Bm New Member

Just playing as a sniper now. I find it hilarious my grapple is stronger than an Assassin's, so hilarious it should either lower the dmg, or remove the throw. either or.
  19. Unic0rnSunshine

Unic0rnSunshine New Member

As a more offensive Sniper (who does NOT use traps above Level 1. EVEREVEREVER), I think the grapple's fine, since it helps the sniper be more of a help to the team instead of being forced to hang back to help at all.
  20. Bambam Bm

Bambam Bm New Member

I can see your point, i would agree grapple would be fine with level 1 traps, but anything higher, the grapple is overpowered.