'Smurfing' on the ladder... very un sporting!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cdrkf, December 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

I am sorry but I don't understand what you are talking about. If it was just a post or two, I'd make an effort, but since it's most of them, and since you post so much, I hope you will excuse me if I give up the effort.
    jamesw100 likes this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well If I learn from you my idea of illusion is the correct definition, and in 20 years it'll be in the websters dictionary! You'll see! /s

Anyway yes the game isn't physically there, but it exists, you can play it, and you can master it. The skill is real, and everything the player does and wins is real.

I also noticed you completely ignored everything else I said, guess you just can't come up with a counter argument and instead you attempt to attack my intelligence.
  3. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

So, the account you're all talking about is currently #4 platinum. That's #63 out of about 2500 people that have finished their 5 placement matches. I don't really consider an account in the top 3% to be all that low ranked.
    xankar, stuart98 and reptarking like this.
  4. squishypon3

You said there have been studies that show that competetive RTS players are some of the creepiest people on Earth. That is false you cannot test that, there is no scientific measurement for "creepy" what you find creepy someone else might find exciting
    Last edited: December 30, 2014
  5. icycalm

What counter-argument do you want? Your stuff is nonsense. Yes I am the best art critic in the world. And yes, being the best at an illusion is not a worthwhile achievement. Art criticism is not an illusion, it merely ANALYZES them. I don't know how much more plainly to put this.
    Last edited: December 30, 2014
    jamesw100 likes this.
  6. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Smurfing on the ladder is lame and should be frowned upon. Smurfing anywhere else is amazing and should only be done more.
    brianpurkiss, jonasmod and icycalm like this.
  7. squishypon3

Why should analyzing an illusion mean ANYTHING? There is absolutely no skill involved as it's all COMPLETELY subjective. You could say whatever you want. Heck how does one be the best art critic? Please explain that to me, how does one have the best opinion?
    Last edited by a moderator: December 30, 2014
    xankar and elodea like this.
  8. icycalm

I am sorry, I cannot explain anything to you. :( I sincerely wish I could.
    jamesw100 likes this.
  9. squishypon3

Because all your explanations are false, and your refusal to even try just means you have failed to come up with reasonable or realistic (let alone comprehensible) explanations.
    naginacz, xankar and elodea like this.
  10. icycalm

Okay.
    jamesw100 likes this.
  11. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Don't think you get what i'm doing here.

I am consistently doing high risk cheese after cheese after cheese and letting the rankings take me wherever they shall. There is no purposefully losing games down to bronze to troll people, nor am i ever playing properly at an uber level of skill with boring low risk build orders. If i wanted to do that, i would not be playing on the smurf.

These things were made clear as day in my posts here. The play matches the rank, end of story. I don't at all appreciate the absurd witch hunting levelled at me.
    xankar, cptconundrum and stuart98 like this.
  12. icycalm

But don't you at least see that your actions hurt the player who made the thread? Are you so devoid of empathy for a lower ranked player who, due to no fault of his own, suddenly dropped 20+ hard-earned spots on the ladder by your actions, actions which are frowned upon by other top players, and which would have got you kicked out of every sporting league in the world for life?

You don't "appreciate" the "witch hunt", but cdrkf doesn't appreciate your actions to such an extent that HE IS EVEN CONSIDERING GIVING UP ON RANKED 1V1S ALTOGETHER.

The funny thing -- which is at the same time more than a little tragic -- is that both your and cdrkf's actions are motivated by the same basic feeling: your obsession with your rank. You smurf to avoid dropping down in rank, and cdrkf resents your smurfing because it causes him to drop down in rank. But neither of you can see this, and empathize with one another. Empathy and psychology have no place on the ladder, and especially its highest part: all that matters is rank.
  13. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Alright guys settle down. To make sure we all hate smurfing the same I will start a clan that is only for smurf blood.
    no main accounts allowed. Let's just hate on this clan.

Smurf Central is now recruiting. In order to join you need a uber/high platinum account as your main and need your smurf in gold or lower. Sorry @elodea both your accounts are to good. You need a third.... Also all members of Smurf Central shall change there name weekly to one of the names of another membe the week before. Welcome to Smurf Central, be prepared for the best bronze 5 man team ever assembled
  14. reptarking

@elodea your right about the don't like me feels
  15. sodusentinelx

sodusentinelx Member

I'm not necessarily "witch-hunting" you in specific, but smurfing as the grand theme here. I'm not saying your intentions are to hurt other people's "feelings" but this is a side-effect whether you like it or not. You try high-risk builds, as icycalm here said before, with a smurf, to avoid your own rank to drop. I might have not emphasiszed enough that i wasn't talking about you specifically about the on-purpose losing, as i'm not saying YOU are doing that, but there are people that do (and SC2 being a prime example sadly). If it starts here, only at 2000 people playing ranked, then how will it be if PA ever reaches 200k players (and let's say it hopefully does).

I understand some motives of the smurf-account, i really do, but please take in consideration that this isn't always as funny on the receiving end ;)
  16. icycalm

It's okay, I will take back my likes from your posts if they are hurting you that much.
    jamesw100 likes this.
  17. elodea

elodea Post Master General

There are only 4 other uber players i know who actually have a real alternate account. As a percentage, that is 0.2%. No i didn't misplace a decimal.

2000 people or 200,000 people, the chances of the avg player to be matched against a smurf is 0.1% assuming 50% time split. That is, 1 game every 10,000. Remind me again what the big fuss is about?

And that is assuming that the smurf is purposefully losing games to place in the 50% percentile, which all 4 smurfs i know about are NOT.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  18. icycalm

The big fuss is that you smurf to avoid falling 2-3 spots, while you are being dismissive of cdrkf's complaint that your smurfing cost him 25 spots.

That's what the big fuss is about.
    vyolin and jamesw100 like this.
  19. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

20. reptarking

Eh. I think pa smurfing in the infants of ranked should be more worrying not because they are smurfing but because there is such a giant gap from top 30 players who are so inactive compared to the rest. Of the top 10 players in my mind 2-3 of them have played in last 3 days. The top players are getting bored and stopping and if they fall off then this game will never keep pushing itself to a higher and higher skill. If PA stalls out with the skill cap where we are now I'll be sad because I know that there is so much more room for even higher skill.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.