'Smurfing' on the ladder... very un sporting!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cdrkf, December 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

There's not even the slightest doubt in my mind what the solution is. The same that a real sport would use. Ban the players involved immediately for life. Two top-10 level players playing from the same IP? Send passport copies and livestreams to Uber or both get banned for life. And for a start, ban the three known smurfs posting in this thread. Ban ban ban until everyone who is screwing with the 1v1 rankings is disgraced and out of the game. And keep banning until people learn to be honest and not continue crapping all over the concept of rank.
  2. icycalm

Even if you didn't catch everyone, you'd catch loads and scare the hell out of all the others. Cops don't catch all criminals either, but we still have the police. And it works.
  3. icycalm

Even better, don't ban them from the ENTIRE game, only from the 1v1 ranked mode.
    Last edited by a moderator: January 2, 2015
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

And the thread has been officially derailed. For good. Let's end this now - the conclusion was reached back on page one.

@cwarner7264

Could you please lock this?

An agreement from all to sit on this would be great :D
    Bsport and cptconundrum like this.
  5. icycalm

The view that radical views should not be allowed to be heard is a radical view.
  6. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

The view that posts should stick to the forum rules, isn't.
  7. icycalm

So which posts don't then? Do you have some particular instance of transgression to rectify, or is this yet another attempt from the mods at harassing me because I am going against your friends?
  8. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

At the moment, there is no official rule about it, so on what grounds should they be banned?

Which leads me back to: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...r-very-un-sporting.66861/page-10#post-1050198
    igncom1 likes this.
  9. icycalm

Dude. We are talking about creating NEW rules here. They should be banned on the grounds of the new rule that I am proposing should be created.
  10. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

In this instance, Raevn actually beat me to removing your inference of mental illness towards several of this thread's participants. Your posts are moderated against the same criteria as those of anyone else on the forum.
    stuart98 likes this.
  11. icycalm

That has not been my experience. Maybe when I make a stink about it, others' abuse is removed too. But usually all that is removed are my abusive replies to my abusers. Their posts are usually left unaltered. But whatever. I know I won't get anywhere with this.

As for mental illness, can I at least discuss it WITHOUT addressing specific people? Because that is what I believe is at the bottom of all this. Every other solution is tackling symptoms, unless the medical reality at the bottom of the problem is, first acknowledged, and then addressed.
  12. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I don't think there will be an agreement. People who don't smurf have to scrape their principles together and stay on 1 account even tough it is more tempting every day to also start smurfing. Smurfs will continue to say that they think taking 1 extra ladder spot for themselves is totally cool and they will continue to not give a **** about what others think.

For me this is the conclusion: **** 1v1 laddering. The only way i can be sure i wont play with a smurf. I seriously hope now that soon the 1v1 matchmaking will be only smurfs vs smurfs asap with the 1 man top 10. Please enjoy the ruined experience.
    cdrkf, igncom1 and icycalm like this.
  13. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Just pointing out that while I disagree completely with the anti-smurf sentiment here, I haven't even logged in to my other account since this thread started out of respect for opinions like yours.
  14. icycalm

You know what, maybe I DO have a proposal to make that's not too radical.

cdrkf and mot and I buy Yaegz 8 more accounts. Yaegz proceeds to occupy the entire top 10 on his own. Then the smurfs get a dose of their own medicine, and see how they like it. And then we discuss this anew. How about it? I am game to buy Yaegz 2-3 new accounts.

Name the accounts Yaegz1, Yaegz2, etc. to make the point even more blatantly obvious.
    neurogenesis and elodea like this.
  15. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

I've been trying to stay away from this thread as tbh its poison, between the personal attacks, witch hunting and downright hostility, I'm pretty disappointed in the mods for not closing the thread because, frankly I feel this thread crossed the line some pages back in what i see as acceptable in a forum community, hell I've seen threads on this very forum closed for ALOT less.

Now on the subject of smurfing, the anti-smurfing crowd, your getting hung up on the wrong issue, smurfing is nothing but a symptom of a deeper issues with the ranking/leader boards.

So instead of saying, well guys theres a fundamental issue with the ranking/leader boards thats become apparent recently, how can we improve it. You chose to get the pitch forks and go on a witch hunt.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: January 2, 2015
  16. cptconundrum

There would be no impact on the quality of the matchmaking system. I do always approve of throwing more money at Uber though, so go for it.
    Obscillesk, stuart98 and elodea like this.
  17. icycalm

Do you see though that there would be an impact on the quality of the ranking system?
  18. icycalm

For the record, I believe that cptconundrum is mistaken when he says that he doesn't mind. I believe he might even stop playing ranked 1v1s altogether if we did my little experiment (i.e. he would do the same thing that mot has done and cdrkf is considering doing). Which is why I say that we should do this experiment for reals, not merely as a thought-experiment.
  19. cptconundrum

As we have shown already here, the quality of the ranking system is already poor. The ranking can come out totally different using other ranking algorithms and the choice to use this one was pretty arbitrary. The ranking sytem can't ever be expected to do much more than just give a general idea of skill.
  20. icycalm

Then why do you care enough about the rank to the point of not playing when you are not feeling perfectly in shape? Or not trying out risky builds on your main account? Your justifications for your actions don't match up with your actual actions, as has been pointed out repeatedly in this thread (mostly in posts that went unacknowledged and unanswered). Which is why I am saying that you (together with elodea, et al) are confused about your actual motivations, and could use a practical demonstration of what the anti-smurfers are alleging.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.