Slammer spent toomuch time in the gym.

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by mot9001, January 29, 2014.

1. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

This guy got so big shoulders that its guns are too wide to target a dox.

I suggest making them able to properly hit the dox.
  2. merocky

merocky New Member

To expand this post a little, since i got a feeling mot dosent explain the completeness of the situation.
    Mot and i have been playing and testing around on a planet vs AI. We came to notice that slammers there shot wideness is to big to be able to hit a dog. The bullits pass by the dogses as if it is nothing, as soon as the dog makes a "wrong" move, it is able to be hit. But as long as it keep moving in a straight line an dog and a slammer 1v1 the tier 1 dog is able to win from the tier 2 slammer, also when it comes to group fights. Slammers seem to be WAY to inefficient against a small group of dogs, this is what we wer where playing with. A group of 10 dogs is able to stay alive way to long against a group of 5 slammers. What also came to my attention was a ubercanon of an commander is not able to hit a dog on a close or medium range. IMO i would like to see the dog grow just a slight bit so stuff like this will be less of a "problem". Having Tier 2 fighting against Tier 1 of the same unit type and being way less effcient in it then they should be is something i believe what might be a problem.

Let me know what you guys think about this.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  3. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Actually, I don't really like the idea of advanced units being direct upgrades of basic anyway. The units should be made to fill different roles than each other. Slammers are great for flanking groups of tanks, for example.
  4. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

We should just rename it to Bradbot. Then it would be very accurate.

Also Adv. is not always better than Basic.

P.S. They're Doxen, not dogs.
    Last edited: January 31, 2014
    ikickasss, stormingkiwi and Raevn like this.
  5. thetdawg3191

thetdawg3191 Active Member

my issue is that an army of T2 bots is somehow able to obliterate an equally big army of T2 tanks. their speed and fire rate makes them able to dominate battlefields. i may be a little off base here, but thats the vide i get, with lots of people spamming bots instead of tanks late game.
  6. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

Well, the leveler used to be really OP when it came to killing things. But then their dmg/dps was nerfed. It should receive a rebalance/rebuff.
  7. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

I think the Slammer should have its role changed.

Currently it feels to much like an "upgrade" to the dox and provide no added value other then replacing doxes.
    broadsideet likes this.
  8. thetdawg3191

the real danger is that, despite tanks being generally beefier and having more range than bots, an equally large bot swarm will either win, or do insane damage to the tank blob, because their speed allows them to bring ALL of their firepower to bear QUICKLY. they are also CHEAP, which means their numbers are usually GREATER. these strengths are multiplied when it goes T2.

fighting a tank column was like fighting line infantry. yes, it's gonna hurt, but it can be dealt with. (this is, of course, not counting air based solutions)

fighting a bot swarm is like fighting against the Mongol Horde. your only hope is to be far enough away to where by the time they get to you, Ghengis has died.

more realistically, nothing short of a hard-core defense can stop them. and half the time, the horde is so large they still walk through any openings they find, flank the turrets, and generally flood your base. to truly stop them is to effectively turtle yourself into a corner. or, more sadly, build your own bot swarm and fight fire with fire.

my solution would be to make bots MORE SQUISHY. for being that cheap, they should be literal cannon-fodder.

or at least make a tank be able to come out on top again....... their superior range should MEAN something, ya know?
  9. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Tanks are a lot better at breaking strong defensive lines, but bots seem really good at skirmishing. This means you should need a mix of both to attack a strong base and fight against defenses and armies.
  10. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Please lets not go down that route again. Bots are squishy enough as is - another solution has to be found.
  11. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

+1 Approval :D

Too squishy already, IMO.
  12. thetdawg3191

well then in that case...REBUFF TANKS please.now they're no match for the bot menace.
  13. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

Making bots more squishy wouldn't help much. The issue with fighting them I find is rate of fire atm. You tend to massively overkill them, making fighting large blobs difficult without your own large blob of high ROF units.

Some possible ideas:
    Increase the fire rate of laser turrets (maybe have double/triple barrel turrets fire in sequence rather than all barrels at once.)
    Give the leveller a small AOE splash (much smaller than arty piece of course, enough to damage a few nearby bots)
    Increase pounder ROF
    Increase splash radius, decrease splash damage of pelter + holkins
    iceDrop likes this.
  14. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

Dividing the Leveler's DPS by...10, was it? is almost certainly one of Scathis' "finding the edges" balance things. Any time you see nice round numbers like that is a clue.

They'll change.
  15. merocky

merocky New Member

All nice and well, but there are not many arguements about the fact that a dox can dodge uber canons, laser turrets and slammer shots. Letting a tiny group of doxes run past a laser turret makes the turret useless cause it aims at the dox itself, by the time the "laser" reaches its destination the dox has already moved passed that point. Early game sending in small bot raids of about 1-5 dox can easely be countered by a anti air turret, but as patches come and go thay are planning to patch that to make them only shoot air. Making small bot raids be able to run free inside an enemy base without problems, only ways to counter this is with units and not with stationary turrents. As far as the ubercanon goes... it shoot over the top of a dox.... nuf sed. The tier 2 slammers (wich are a upgrade to t1) are WAY less effcient at killing there lower class enemy especially if your T2 bot army isent as big. About countering a bot blop... T2 air....T2 tanks. Espesially Shellers doing 1200 DPS to main target and 600 DPS to AoE, a blast radius of 2. Getting a few shellers in your army can do so much damage to anny typ of ground army (aslong as thay have something to tank the dmg for them).
  16. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

So... 25 % more squishy or 25% less squishy. Gotta get hard squish numbers here guys.
  17. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Explosive death, range 10-20 , 5-10 damage. Watch the swarms go pop.

Their high fire rate doesn't do an internet connection any favors. Perhaps a burst-fire weapon akin to the pee wee's EMG would work better? One fire event serves multiple projectiles.
  18. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

I think laser turrets should have a higher shot velocity, maybe with the SLT as a machinegun-like thing that's particularly good against bots.
  19. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

DPS stacking has been a winning strategy since the dawn of table top gaming.

If Dox have too much synergy with Dox, the solution is to give them attributes that have poor synergy. At least 4 easy options exist: reduce range (fewer can engage), increase weapon overkill (pewpewpew removes alpha strike but adds to overkill waste), increase their difficulty with wreckage (not really effective with mobile bots), or add more hi-ex to their death(super effective with small, light weight units).

It is most unusual for the lightweight and mobile skirmisher to be used as line infantry. That role demands heavier stuff.
  20. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Agreed
    broadsideet likes this.