Simulation

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Spooky, August 20, 2012.

1. Spooky

Spooky Member

One of the most important things for me in games like Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander is the simulation aspect of the game. This wasn't really covered yet by the interview or the preview yet, as far as I observed (only a fleeting mention of "simulation" in the interview when talking about the server-client architecture). So I simply wanted to confirm (officially) that Planetary Annihilation uses the same type of simulation, that is found in Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander where

• projectiles are individual entities,
    • that travel over a simulated trajectory (depending on the type of projectile, e.g. ballistic)
    • and can properly collide with anything in their path (with sensible exceptions, just as we had in Supreme Commander as well)
    • and thus are not predetermined to hit a designated unit (like in StarCraft etc.),
    • but rather all the actions in the game have an emergent effect.
    Last edited: August 20, 2012
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Given that Uber is awesome, and some of the staff come from TA and SupCom heritage, I think this is going to be the case.

However, I too would very much like to have this confirmed by Uber.
  3. luukdeman111

luukdeman111 Member

I also hope planet, asteroid an spaceship movement is going te be accurately simulated. So you can use fields of gravity to accelerate and things like that
  4. xedi

xedi Active Member

Neutrino confirmed there would be ballistic simulation on reddit here.
  5. ferigad

ferigad Member

I am just happy when bullets are blocked from Mountains and Missiles detonates when they hit somethin, enemy or not. Wouldnt say that is Simulation, just tactical deep. If i wanna play a simulation i go for Europa Universalis 3 ^^

Or play a ultra realistic mod in SupCom or so. What i try to say is... some things yes, but as long as it is playable and has the basic features from the Gunshell movement we know from TA or SC1, its tottaly okay.

Edit: Well i guess then this discussion is solved. :>
  6. Spooky

Spooky Member

Very well, thanks ;)
  7. JWest

JWest Active Member

Happy to hear this. It was always fun seeing artillery taking down a Czar in SupCom :lol:
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Or a Nuck hitting an ASF Blob! xD

Mike
  9. Nelec

Nelec Member

Infact, will there be nukes in PA, is that confirmed? Or is it just the KEW :?:
  10. KNight

I don't think it's been confirmed, but I think its likely, they do show Anti-KEW silos, I'm sure they could also interdict Nucks, might actually be interesting to use Nucks to deplete teh silos before your KEW gets in range.

And if not, Mods! xD

Mike
  11. ferigad

ferigad Member

But a very good chance, in the video he mentioned "Nukes and Rocketmissiles and..." and so on. So i guess they will bring in that good old classic style too.
  12. Nelec

Nelec Member

I think if this is in supcom now, it will definitely be in PA, even the trailer showed a simulation when the two armies collided.
  13. KNight

That wasn't a trailer, that was a Game Visualization, basically it wasn't gameplay footage, but a pre-rendered cinematic detailing how they plan to make the game look and feel.

Mike