Should we even bother?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bengeocth, September 7, 2014.

1. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Meh, if the people who don't like this game are anything like the people who are anti vax, or anti climate change, or anti evolution, it won't make a blind bit of difference if you have the offline mode working in two days. They will just find some other reason to be against it.
    Not EVERYONE is like that, obviously, and a majority will just be happy when offline is in. But there are people out there who there is no point trying to convince.
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I haven't since the start. I really don't like the idea of shouting into the wind. My voice will have no effect there and I know it. I don't hope to reinvent civility and discipline in a place that's never seen any.
  3. enderdude

enderdude Member

classic has been complaining about his Linux since day one, classic, dont complain if you have a linux, its obviously not worth it...
  4. classic1977

classic1977 Member

It's totally worth it, its a much better OS, and I need it for my job. Don't tell me not to complain about a OS uber purports to support. If I was using WINE to pay on an unsupported OS you'd have an argument, as it is you just sounds like an idiot. Valve games work excellent on Linux, how the hell was I to know of Uber's incompetence ahead of purchase?
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  5. felipec

felipec Active Member

As uber stated, they are losing money simple because there aren't enough linux users out there that justify the investment. Their mistake was to support linux in the first place. Still, i hope they fix whatever is broken with PA in linux.
  6. Geers

Geers Post Master General

By avoiding a comparison between a multi-million dollar company and a Kickstarter project?
    ace63, EdWood, squishypon3 and 2 others like this.
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Ironic because they actually got the guy who worked on making valve games work for Linux. :p

( at least Dota 2)
  8. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I wouldn't call it a mistake. They didn't choose to support Linux for financial reasons, they knew what they were doing.

Here's hoping that if something big happens with Steam boxes / Steam OS that PA is well positioned to take a strong place there.
    drz1 likes this.
  9. classic1977

classic1977 Member

BUT THEY DID CHOOSE TO SUPPORT LINUX. I BOUGHT IT FOR THAT REASON.
    EdWood and cwarner7264 like this.
  10. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Exactly :) I know there are plenty of people glad they chose to make PA work for Mac and Linux. No mistakes to see here, folks.
  11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I see it as a first installment. Go watch the first "Breaking Bad". Good concept, not very flashy. It's development took off though and got flashy because of interest.

That is where my faith in interest is, with something I enjoy in function now.

Ask for reviews, yeah, give it some good and informed views.

Then it will be a contest between this:

0/10 Developers just pumped monkey **** into my computer through an internet wire.

0/10 This didn't even work for me, uninstalled it.

0/10 Supcom is better.

0/10 I thought there would be offline mode and unit cannons.

0/10 The game should stay in beta forever.

8/10 -- A first installment in a continuing development for a fresh game in a stale genre.
    --Pros- Procedural maps, multiple playfields orbiting one another as planet surfaces, large volume unit armies and sprawling bases, carpet-spamming or world-ending superweapons take your pick, games record entire timeline with rewatch midgame possible, linux support, continued development
    --Cons- Internet required with plans to release offline, no detailed mapmaker just seed generation style editor, runs a maximum speed on a server without improved high end performance per expensive computers, savegame not yet provided and linked to the game recording feature, opengl with quirky technical troubleshoots
    --Opinion- I enjoyed playing it, similar to TA, plays differently than most rts, a freshener to someone who's played much supcom, takes some creativity to create games, can AI coop stomp or multiplay team or free for all, modifications and a mod manager improve quality and variety.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Technically they do as you can physically play the game just... not the best.

They've got the guy who helped valve get some source games onto linux, so I have faith in 'em.

(I duel boot Zorin and Windows :D )
  13. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I was under the impression that they fixed linux to a reliably working state. It will still dump out of a game occasionally. Sometimes I will dump out of a game in Call of Duty Classic though, on Windows XP.

Does linux genuinely not work? Have you been to their support forum? They have a large support forum, a lot of positive people talking about 1.0 working, so I assume they can make it work.

BTW, Linux is a more promising platform, the collaborative of Linux provides a variety more things that Windows just provides a one way track for. Windows pretty much locks you to dependence on Windows, anything they decide not to do for you is your loss. Linux will always support everything because it accept the openess to.

Linux does what win-don't.
  14. CounterFact

CounterFact Active Member

Reading some of the steam reviews makes me feel like it's the bug report page for PA. Who in his right mind writes a "review" afther playing less than 10 hours, more so describes only bugs in what he calls a "review".
    The only fair (negative) points I've seen is about offline play and server performance. But the offline play one is written by people who can't read. Oh the irony, can't read a couple of paragraphs, writes a 2 page review...
  15. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

The game runs fine on linux though (*since the UI update at any rate). I play mainly on Windows (due to my library of other, non linux compatible games) however PA wasn't notably worse under linux for me at least. The problems under linux are common to all platforms I believe (slow loby, sim slow down etc).