Should resources be tracked per planet/moon

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by RealTimeShepherd, September 16, 2012.

?

Should resources be tracked per celestial body

1. Yes

162 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. No

238 vote(s)
    59.5%
  1. gleming

gleming New Member

Also, as was pointed out in the asteroid vs asteroid thread I believe, the issue of making a fortified beachfront may not be nearly as complicated as people may be believing. I am picturing that a fortified beachfront would only need to be made in such a hurry when you know you will be fighting a large battle, and that a small asteroid would not have a large enough defensive force to hold back an invasion of a size capable of creating or needing such a beachfront (Nor would it be worth devoting that many resources to hold as a small asteroid shouldn't be of as much strategic importance as a large army. And a large asteroid would be large enough that you could land without there being forces in the area and have time to set up before the first enemy units arrive. I just don't see a situation where you need to have the capability to use your full construction force on an enemy planet immediately. Such a situation would most likely involve a turtling player and we all know that turtling is generally a waste of resources and can now easily be countered by using an asteroid.

And if engineers carried enough resources to deploy walls and turrets and probably a radar setup then you would have a beachfront pretty fast anyways. Not to mention you could probably send small buildings from another planet/asteroid to help.
  2. mecharius

mecharius New Member

The platforms should be vulnerable for a period of time until defenses can be constructed. Though while the platform is in transit would be the best time to try to bombard the defending planet with units lobbed from the unit cannon to soften it up and distract it. That way if the enemy player focuses on the platform the units dropped will be able to run unchecked. It never really made sense that you would send a commander/sub-commander to a planet then have to rebuild a launch facility to get back into space. I'd be all for having many options, with their own limitations, for getting between planets. I think using the SupCom explosion teleport could be a powerful way of surprising an enemy.
  3. vectorjohn

vectorjohn Member

If engineers have their own resources, I would treat them basically like a small resource storage building (the mass / energy storage things that increase your limit). When they leave an area, they reduce the maximum and current value of the economy they left and add it to the economy they show up at. They wouldn't carry enough to seriously harm a big economy. Maybe it could be a togglable option (like cloaking in SupCom) that is off by default.

I don't think this has to make turtling too good. Like other RTS games, if someone chooses to turtle they are probably going to lose because their enemy will build to strong an economy, so I don't think that really matters. But strong defenses can always be balanced with other changes to the game that have been mentioned, such as artillery (which you're going to need regardless, unless you plan on landing engineers and not being noticed at all for 5 minutes).
  4. PKC

PKC New Member

game is RTS, not 4X.
  5. vectorjohn

vectorjohn Member

comment is pointless, and doesn't even say which option you like or why.
  6. mecharius

mecharius New Member

I think something along the lines of my Orbital Module idea would fix the storage issues, as it would come stocked with a default storage ability, say 2k of each. That or something like the idea that whenever you have units on a planetary body(asteroid, moon, planet, etc) you get at least 100 storage of energy and mass along with 1-1 production of each, not counting the resource production that the (sub)/commander or engineer would provide. TA and SupCom shows support for this, as you start with a basic store of resources with only your commander making more. As you build more engineers the storage doesn't increase until you build more storage buildings. This would make a reason to use the OM's as they supply larger immediate capacity but make bigger targets. Meaning that you could also do the smaller harder to track/target (sub)/commander or engineer drop at the same time thus distracting the enemy thinking the important unit is on the OM thus getting it there quicker and possibly safer.
  7. PKC

PKC New Member

is self explanatory, if you're not a moron. im sorry you're a moron.
  8. sstagg1

sstagg1 Member

4X is hardly used anymore... Don't blame your own laziness for not defining some obscure reference as someone's lack of intelligence.

EDIT: Means 'explore, expand, exploit, exterminate', 4 ex's. 4X.
  9. gleming

gleming New Member

They are also quite fun, and with Galactic War PA may end up being similar, so taking some traits from the 4X genre might not be a bad idea.
  10. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

Oh really now? RTS'es can easily be 4X games as well, so indeed, you said absolutely nothing with that post.
  11. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

The more I think about this the more I feel that adding these 4X elements into the game would slow the action down. TA and subsequently sup com were about massive explosions, massive armies, massive units and massive economies.

I don't see how there is room for so much complexity in the game as it will just detract from the core values of the previous games that Uber hold dear. The solutions to these problems (and they are real issues) need to be simple and streamlined so as they happen without the player having to dedicate too much time to them.

Galactic economy (as opposed to planetary) is one way to limit the complexity. And no one has talked about resource sharing between allied commanders yet? How could you make that work on a galactic scale any other way without it becoming so complicated that it takes over the game?

Personally I would like to see battles fought planet by planet until the enemy is eradicated from the solar system. If you can't take their planet, then by all means obliterate it. But please don't let it descend into rock slinging and resource management sim.
  12. gleming

gleming New Member

This brings up another point if only unintentionally, in SupCom FA trading resources was incredibly poor and non-intuitive. I hope such a system in PA would be better handled.
  13. rick104547

rick104547 Member

Too much micro so not good idea.
  14. RealTimeShepherd

RealTimeShepherd Member

Please read my comments on page 3 regarding micro, and why there needn't be any micro

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=37176&start=20

Remember you can always change your vote ;)
  15. RealTimeShepherd

RealTimeShepherd Member

OK, so I think I've gained an idea of the general consensus, and basically the Yes vote currently stands at 37%, so a little over 1 in 3 would like a system like this.

So, I have a question for the developers...

Would it be possible to have localised resources as an option? If not at the very least can it be made moddable?

My concern is that something as fundamental as the economic model, may be written into the game in such a way as to make it almost impossible to alter with mods. I don't believe for example that SC:FA could be modded to have separate economies per island.

All the players who want experimentals and factions can clearly wait for the mods. As there is a significant minority who would enjoy localised resources, would it be at all possible to open this feature up for modding?

Muchas Gracias! :D
  16. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

I think this pretty accurately sums up why local economy is a bad idea. What point would there be?

I'd much rather see a better way of sharing or even combining the resources with allied commanders for mutual gain.
  17. RealTimeShepherd

RealTimeShepherd Member

I'm not sure why a game not sporting a feature sums up why that feature is a bad idea...

Anyway, my point is that some people would enjoy the additional depth/complexity/challenge etc. OK it's not for everyone, but if it is moddable or an option then surely everyone is happy...?

For the record, I do agree with you that we could do with better ways of sharing resources between allies.
  18. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

I'm pretty sure that if it was what people wanted then it would have been done already in SC or SC:FA. I guess if you could mod it in then who am I to tell you what you can and can't have? I just feel that really it is moving away from the TA and SC archetype and it's just another way of diverting resources away from developing other, more important parts of the game.
  19. gleming

gleming New Member

I feel that it wouldn't take many development resources to leave it easily mod-able if it wasn't an in-game option. This would also allow for the creation of some interesting custom games.
  20. RealTimeShepherd

RealTimeShepherd Member

Yeah, I guess my worry is that it was essentially unmoddable in SC:FA because it was fundamentally built into the engine. While now in PA the general setup of multiple planets seems to lend itself more to separate economies.

The idea of mining mass on one side of the solar system and building units with it on the other side just doesn't sit right with me!

Anyway, I trust Mavor and the others to come up with something fantastic which is why I pledged in the first place :cool: