Should factories be on continuous build by default?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by metabolical, January 27, 2014.

?

Should factories be on continuous build by default?

1. Yes

50.2%
  2. No

41.1%
  3. Depends on the factory type

8.7%
  1. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Side note.
    If you make it a game-wide setting in the options menu.

Modders can tie that to a hotkey, so we can manually toggle this as we transition out of early game into midgame where we want stuff to be continual.

Please keep in mind that there are different play styles.
    My personal style is eco hard and army less. It's short-term pain for long-term gain.
    This style is better off with the legacy style of factory setting where infinite-loop is manually set.
  2. Mosse

Mosse Member

Could be an option in settings:
    Set Continuous Build by Default: On/Off

3. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

i would say yes, although it would be ui wise better, to put the loop button to the build tabs and not on the right. The current ui layout is not good enough^^
  4. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Voted yes, but may as well make it a toggle. I'd like being able to hotkey it.
  5. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

you can with hotbuild v2 mod ;)
  6. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

I think there's a simple reason for making it default:

Building a factory and then not using it is considered BAD use of ressources. If you set up a factory you want to use it all the time until the end of the game. I can't really imagine a situation where you wouldn't want to do that.

So yes, please make endless building queue default for factories. I'm only using endless queue anyway atm :)
  7. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

No, but make the button easier to use. I'm sure that will be fixed when the interface gets overhauled.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

How are the votes staying even??? when this poll started it was 87% in favor :( wth

are the common people allergic to intelligence or something?

Maybe they're like masochistic or something, they like extra clicks. like, for example when windows crashes OOOO they must loooove that! waiting for it to reboot and stuff, typing in your login again (making sure to chose to select and click their user rather then hit enter because hey! extra user.) starting up their programs again but, in the case of PA, rather than hit ÿ,"P", , they navigate the mouse cursor to the start button OOOO the slowness just sent shivers down my back, then click, search bar? I think not! click on "other programs", scroll wheel? pff! amature! click and drag the scroll bar of course! down we go .. oh there it is the PA folder, double-click, another folder! right click that one, "open directory", ahhhh yes! as I'd hoped!! it's all the way at the bottom! click and drag the scroll wheel, there's the icon! double click!

see?
    I'm an expert!
  9. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

Also, I'd like to be able to queue units to factories already before building the factory has started - when the factory is shown as a white wireframe. That would make it easier to mass produce factories, without having to check all the time whether a factory has been built and the next one started:

1. draw a line of 10-20 factories
    2. select all the factory wireframes
    3. queue up units and set their waypoints
    4. forget them
    proeleert, lokiCML, zaphodx and 3 others like this.
  10. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

Since the early game composition consists out of a measurable amount of units I do not want the build queue to be continuous by default. I would much rather have some kind of (infinity symbol) button integrated into the factory menu that allows me to easily set the queue of any unit to infinite. However, when building multiple unit types I think we need some kind of ratio system as well. Which allows for uneven unit compositions.
  11. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Yes! This would be a huge improvement. I want to be able to drop a bunch of factories and forget them.
  12. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

The moment it's an option it will be a key in hotbuild I promise :)
  13. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

this kinda got ignored IMO
  14. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

Well just add an Option to Default yes/no ?
    cola_colin likes this.
  15. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Personal opinion: Yes please, but I believe this should be yet again something that can be toggled in options.

As for the default PA experience, which most users will adopt (In my experience majority of users do not deviate from default unless something's broken) I'd stick with default no, unless explained in a proper tutorial, as people wouldn't understand what's going on.
  16. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

what I really want is a way to insert finite units orders to the start of an infinite queue without toggling or wiping anything.

if this was done, then I'd be fine with default being continuous.
  17. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Right now while a building is on infinite build, you can queue up single units by holding the ctl key, or queue up 5 units with ctl+shift.
    Not sure if there's a way to add units to the start of that single-unit-queue though. I think shift should do that instead of adding 5 units to the infinite queue, which doesn't really make sense.

so if I came up with modifiers, they would probably be:
    default = infinite
    ctl = single
    shift = front of single
    right click = remove from infinite
    shift right click = remove from single
    ctl right click = remove from front of single

Not sure what I would do with the ctl+shift commands though, maybe keep them as 5 units at the front or something.
    Last edited: March 10, 2014
  18. midspark

midspark Member

I think the big thing here is GUI implementation of the continuous build not being very obvious and hard to reach and the implementation of hotkeys not being very efficient.

I believe the obvious choice for this is for it to be optional and be set in the main menu like mentioned earlier, but with more shortcut keys that can further define the queue. Which again, is a hotkeys issue.
    corteks and aevs like this.
  19. zlord

zlord New Member

i never use infinitie queue, i hate to always get back to factories and pause/stop them after they already wasted ton of eco
  20. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

I think it should be an option in the setting menu.