Should aircraft be able to travel through teleporters?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by darkalbino, March 21, 2014.

1. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

I think just about anything should be able to travel though the teleporters, air, nukes, land units, catapults etc.. but only if the telepoerter is moved to t2 and cost a lot more. I think teleporters should be used for holding a spot not invading it.
    vyolin likes this.
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

You crazy son.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

planes through teleporters - no
    transport planes via orbital planecarriers that have to get to the airlayer - yes
    shotforce13 likes this.
  4. Antiglow

I know I am but is this game not about crazy. ;)
  5. MrTBSC

massdestruction yes ... not crazy ... crazy is serious sam ... ... .... god damn headless suicide zombies ... ... i can still hear them screaming ... -_-
  6. Geers

Geers Post Master General

How do they scream if they have no head?
  7. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

You've never had Serious Sam PTSD... You couldn't understand...
  8. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

My point is valid.

Not realistic== Bad for gamers.
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

==?
  10. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Tongue in cheek reference to posts in another thread that pissed people off.

In this case, headless screaming zombies causes PTSD
  11. Antiglow

It's amazing how one post can derail an entire thread...

but back to the original topic, as I said before, I think that teleporters should be moved to t2 and cost about as much as a nuke launcher and its missile. Anything can pass through it, aircraft, ships, land units, nukes etc.. and that would be fine because it would take a long time to build and it would be used defensively to hold points on planets (as it should be). You would use things like the unit cannon, big interplanetary transports, or just chuck an asteroid to invade planets and set up a teleporter later to hold it.

And to anyone that thinks nukes are a little too much, think about it, that's not that much different than interplanetary nukes...
  12. MrTBSC

the only thing you need to know is that they can ... and run torwards you with bomb ... and that it is a horrible experience ...

back to topic ...
    i may have said it already but imo planes should be transported oly by orbital carriers ... or maybe orbital launcher single pods in one-way rockets ...
    ships to me are more like semistructures .... i´m not sure about those ....
    i honestly wouldn´t want teleporters for everything it sounds somewhat cheap ...
  13. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

I don't really like teleporters at all, they feel too cheap of a solution for planetary invasion. But if they make it to the final game then they should be able to teleport ground and air units and I agree that they should be much more expensive and fragile. It really sucks to take your home planet and have 200-300 aircraft floating around with nothing to kill. Air unit stacking (and orbital) does need to be limited to 2-3 unit stacks in my opinion. An air spam will still come at you faster than a tank spam but will have some limitation.
  14. doctoraxel

doctoraxel Active Member

As a mid/late-game invasion tool I'm still holding out for some kind of durable, large-capacity dropship. Teleporters as they are currently imagined should be more of a safe-territory transport system, or a sneaky/harassing attack system at best. The throughput of teleporters should definitely be limited.

That said I think you should be able to send whatever you damn well please through them, aircraft included. (maaaaaybe not nukes. =P)
  15. nightbasilisk

nightbasilisk Active Member

Personally I don't like how moving to another planet is so "easy peasy" and that you can even share resources between planets. You should have to invest resource to send resources and you should also have to invest in actually teleporting stuff not have it be just "free interplanetary teleportation." Your commander unit should not even be liftable and cost stupid amounts of energy to send though a teleporter. You would still be able to rush it by just building energy storage but it wouldn't be "well I decided I'm going to be annoying and run to this planet with out any consequence on myself, bye."
  16. doctoraxel

doctoraxel Active Member

I think moving the teleporter to a higher tier and increasing its cost would help alleviate this a lot, but I agree.

It also seems hecka silly to me that orbital fabbers can build teleporters on the ground - I realize that may be a placeholder, though, and I'm looking forward to it working differently.
  17. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

that's actually an interesting idea.
  18. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

Are you able to actually build them with orbital fabbers with the current build?
    I couldn't do it last night, sent 20+ fabbers to build a teleporter and they sprayed green stuff at it but did nothing ever got built. Prehaps just a bug that will be fixed soon.
  19. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

I think it could be cool if you could build a building launcher where you would build say a teleporter or a halley and send it to a planet it would land and you could use it (perhaps halley should have a cool down xD) but it would be a new idea of invasion with a teleporter descending onto a planet and then releasing an army :)
  20. doctoraxel

doctoraxel Active Member

I am a big fan of the idea of single-use systems launched from the orbital launcher. Like some kind of one-way disposable rocket that you load a bunch of units into and just point at another world. Or 'unpacking' structures like a teleporter endpoint / factory / firebase.

The way the orbital launcher currently functions makes it a bit limiting IMO - I think 'storing up' on launch vehicles would offer a lot more options. So basically if you have a launch vehicle, you can then choose what you're going to launch with it (avenger, bunches of units, deployable fab, et cetera) and THEN send it up.