Shield generators

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by gaynessteel, April 22, 2013.

?

Should shields be in the game?

1. Yes like in supcom or supcom:FA

67 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. Can be toggled before a game starts

63 vote(s)
    30.7%
  3. No

75 vote(s)
    36.6%
  1. mecatronico

mecatronico New Member

@Nanolathe

"StarWars' slow buildup "2nd life bar shield"; Interesting, until you realise that it's more powerful for static defence than what we have already in SupCom's Bubble shield. I can imagine stacking lots of these together being insane if their effects combine... if they don't they're just rather dull. They make buildings just take twice the effort to kill?.. yay? It promotes building static point defence over mobile tanks... or keeping your mobile tanks immobile. No thanks."

First, yes, you cannot stack the shields.

Second why promoting building static point defence is a big problem ? Theiy are shields that is the point, to be a static defence, besides there was a mobile generator as well to send with your tanks, the radius of the field was of course smaller but it worked the same way. Dont this mobile generator covers the problem of keeping your mobile tanks immobile? In the game you didnt need to deploy it for it to work, it was always on even on the move, as long as your units where inside the radius they where shielded.

As for it being rather dull, I just don`t understand what you want, think of they like a wall, walls are in the game, they are very simple and dull, but no one think this is a problem, the shields dont need to be awesome, just like the walls they just need to work.
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

No, walls are not "dull". They fundamentally change the battlefield by creating impassible terrain and can block shots wholesale. They are also destroyable and reclaimable by both yourself and your enemy. In the heat of battle a section of wall can provide cover from incoming fire, negating it completely.

Walls encourage the players thought on positioning and maneuvering. Shields do not.

Walls are simple, but have a great deal of tactical depth associated with them.
    Shields on the other hand are complex by comparison (friendly shots pass through while enemies don't), but don't really promote tactical depth beyond being harder to kill if you're under one.

Second: "Why promoting building static point defence is a big problem?"
    Slows the pace of the game. Depends on whether you enjoy shields basically forcing a slower paced game as to whether you enjoy shields as SupCom implemented them.
  3. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

What? No, that's perfectly fine. It establishes a diminishing return mechanic, which is a nice way to reel in a powerful unit or mechanic. It's just not really appropriate here. If something needs more health, give it more health. If it takes damage, repair it. EZPZ.
    Nononononono. Stay away from overly complicated rules. It's a step in the wrong direction. If anything, you're showing more and more problems with shields that further justify removing them.

Why do you get a shield? To protect your base from ordnance. What else can do the role? An anti ordnance weapon. It's simple, it blocks exactly what you want, and it doesn't overstep its bounds. It renders Supcom shields obsolete.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I have mentioned one other type of shield that works as a special Comm device. The shield has no HP, but damage is instead deducted directly from the energy bar(with some modifier, of course). It is unique, can't be justified by any other mechanic, and is far more in line with the Scifi depiction of shields. More importantly, it doesn't scale, which means it can only really be justified on a single unit(it scales in strength very well, but doesn't scale in numbers). The Commander is a perfect fit for the tech. Add it to anything more, and things get messy very quickly.
  4. mecatronico

mecatronico New Member

@Nanolathe

Well, I will agree with you, that may be my problem, since I prefer a slower pace in the game I don't mind the shields, but since this type of shields are as you say dull and don't change the game to much, why cant we put they in the game as an option before the start of the match? To put the Bubble shield as a toggable option is hard becouse it change to many variables and balance, but this "second life bar shield"can be added without many problems, at least I think so.

P.s.: I am liking the discussions on this forum a lot, but it is difficult to me to participate since I am using a phone(and not a good one) to post and I am in the middle of work.
  5. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

How does a unit being its own counter lead to diminishing returns? It leads to the opposite. If your opponent has lots of Unit X, your best move is build some X of your own. His response? Build more X until both of you are doing nothing but sinking your entire economy into X.
  6. thgr8houdini

thgr8houdini Member

I didn't mind shields that much, but also don't have a problem with them not being in PA. I do feel like there should be some kind of arty defense besides just the scout it and blow it up option. Brought it up here:

http://forums.uberent.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=44757

Some people like the idea of a point defense system, some don't. I think it would be a nice thing to have and could be balanced well by the devs to use a fair bit of energy and maybe only block certain types of ordnance
  7. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

I meant this rather literally. A unit that loses efficiency in large numbers, in effect, is countering itself.