Setting up a community dedicated-monster-of-a-server

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cola_colin, October 10, 2014.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

No replays do not generate much load at all. They work drastically different. It's like the difference between rendering a super shiny video and just playing it back.
    squishypon3 and zihuatanejo like this.
  2. stonberg

stonberg Member

£10 a month dedicated ... $ == variable? :p

Does/will the server show up on PA Stats (in-game)?
  3. Schemya

Schemya New Member

4. cola_colin

I've even considered the even cheaper version of sufi-something, but I know from experience that they can take a week or two to actually setup a server. Also I think the servers they offers are always kinda random. If they should offer a good one then it might be an option though.
  5. cola_colin

Yes, ofc
  6. stonberg

stonberg Member

7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I'm not starting a donation for this. we need something that can work. We need Uber's help. quite desperately I might add.
  8. cola_colin

Unless Uber manages to optimize the game to run on a calculator we'll need good servers nevertheless ;)
  9. tatsujb

good severs have multiple cores and threads. I was rather talking about work in that direction.....
  10. cola_colin

Well no, if they can optimize it to run perfect on a single thread, obviously nobody needs multithreading. :p
    But yeah realistically I agree multithreading has to be a thing for PA's sim in the future.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  11. stonberg

stonberg Member

In determining the most suitable type of server CPU to go for, you need to have knowledge of the parallel-to-sequential design of the process you want to run.

Chucking more cores at the problem is unlikely to give you linear returns on your investment; for example, unless a process has no sequential fraction then a single core CPU running at less than twice the speed of a dual core CPU will out perform it.

Single-thread execution speed and architecture of the CPU is a more important factor to consider than the number of cores.

Paradoxically, as you improve the efficiency of executing the parallel parts of an application by throwing more cores at it, the more the performance becomes dependent on the performance of the sequential parts, i.e. single-threaded performance.

As Intel's single threaded performance is considerably better than AMD's (as well as offering simultaneous multithreading via Hyperthreading on a single core which gives its own efficiency boost), I'd be aiming for an as-fast-as-possible Intel CPU, 4 cores max, with as much L1 cache as I could get my hands on.

To further refine this I think you need some input from Uber as to the parallel/sequential balance of their application. However, that may well be a metric which they themselves are not aware of; it's a struggle enough to get your concurrency model right when writing multithreaded applications, let alone actually designing in its parallel/sequential characteristics.

Lastly, don't go for AMD's Bulldozer architecture; too much emphasis on parallel performance IMO. Loads of cores, so more heat and therefore lower clock speed to compensate.
  12. cola_colin

Well their input is clear: The simulation is singlethreaded. Our tests seem to confirm that and add "but there is some multithreaded workload that can use 5 or so cores, in some extreme situations also 7 or so".
    So I'd say we need the fastest 6 core cpu we can get. Does anybody know a server which such a cpu?
  13. tatsujb

my pc..... :p
  14. cola_colin

Do you have an upload of 50mbit/s at least?
  15. tatsujb

I could :p should I buy it? :p
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Yis, then let me live with you. :>
    websterx01 likes this.
  17. tatsujb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

It'd be a nice change of pace from my terrible internet.

Obviously I would stay rent free, as we are like- best friends!

Right?

Right?...
  19. tatsujb

@squishypon3
    as rent you'd have to be my scribe and I could finally get to write all my forums posts by dictating them ! that would be awesome!! MUAHAHAHAHA
    squishypon3 likes this.
  20. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Holding out for a multithreading miracle is ill advised IMO. I just don't see them doing it any time soon if ever.

The work / reward calc just doesn't add up in a business sense. It'd only serve a niche within an already niche game. Better to improve the game feature wise and wait for the hardware to catch up.