Setting up a community dedicated-monster-of-a-server

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cola_colin, October 10, 2014.

1. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

2. snierke

snierke Active Member

Im in. $10 a month.
    cola_colin likes this.
  3. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

Count me in, 10$ a month. :)
    cola_colin likes this.
  4. valheria

valheria Active Member

I speak from past experience.. But how do i know you wont ban people from using a server they funded just because you don't like them after a argument?
  5. valheria

valheria Active Member

also why don't you use a dual cpu xeon chip? Surely that would be better suited to a workload like that?
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...1v3-x2-ddr4-quad-lan-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'd be open to chipping into a dedicated large game server....
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

So AWS now has the full price for the fun yesterday: 4.55$
    Also interesting, it says it used ~12GB bandwidth over 4h of usage. Well I guess 1-2gb is from downloading the game, the rest is playing.
    I am not quite sure what really is "the best thing" to use anymore after the games yesterday. Since the game does in fact use many cores when confronted with many players, but it seems to have only one simulation thread from what garat told us we'd need a lot of cores to put the "per player" load on, but at the same time we need one super powerful core we can put the simulation on. Also @exterminans has probably a point when he says that it can profit from as much memory bandwidth as it can get.

EDIT:
    Also I don't ban anybody. There isn't even a ban system anywhere. I can't ban you xD
  8. valheria

valheria Active Member

People always find a genius way of banning people mate : )
  9. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Wait until the sim has been parallelized. Nothing else you could do. Especially everything traversing that tree structure needs to run in parallel since that is going to leverage the memory access problem. Btw.: It isn't memory bandwidth which is limiting - at least that would be very much surprising - but memory latency, or in other terms the time where the CPU is virtually idle because it has to wait for a main memory access to return any result at all.
  10. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

If they're given cause to do so.... I mean cola strikes me as pretty straight forward from what I've seen on the forum. He wouldn't ban someone to troll them. Now if someone started doing something to ruin the fun for everyone else, then I guess he'd be forced to take action.

That's a separate issue to funding though. As the person sending funds you have the ability to cancel the payment. So if for whatever reason you can no longer get access, don't pay!
  11. valheria

valheria Active Member

Exactly.. What right does he have to ban a person who possibly funded 500+ pounds towards the creation of the server just because he does not like someone. All it would take is for him to say so and so was being a massive problem ruining the fun for everyone with presented "evidence" then the guy is banned for life in a second from a machine he funded out of his hard earned cash. Fact is i know people who have been banned like that by "decent" people so don't try tell me that this problem would not exist. So if cola is going to get any serious backers he needs to lay down all the details regarding guaranteed access..
    If someone puts money into this then they need to have guaranteed access for as long as the machine exists.. No matter how much of a douche bag the guy is because that is what is morally right on any level..
  12. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

You're giving money to a stranger on the Internet. Yes, there is risk involved.
    cwarner7264, cdrkf, ooshr32 and 5 others like this.
  13. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Do you think banning someone and then losing the trust of all other people who are tipping is worth it for 10$? I think not.
  14. nevr0n

nevr0n New Member

Yeah, try to not be a douchebag and you should be fine...
    peewee1000, cdrkf and squishypon3 like this.
  15. cola_colin

I think *I hope* everyone donating a few $ realizes that no matter what server we get it won't be able to make a 10 fps sim speed. However as I said before this is about the fun of throwing the best hardware we can get at PA. Yes I also would like uber to put in a lot more work into optimization, but we can only wait for that. So why not play around with the best hardware one can get until then? ;)

Also even now a "big" server is basically required to play "big" games. uber's servers won't allow it and private internet connections are not gonna make it.
    Last edited: October 12, 2014
  16. cola_colin

I won't ban unless you try to use it to install malware on everybodys computer or similar and even then I'll have the issue that I really can't ban you. PA Stats has no way to tell who you are. PA has no drm. Banning a person would be not easy to get right.
    But yeah Quitch is right: You are giving money to a stranger on the internet. You'll have to decide yourself if my past behavior is worth the risk or not.
  17. icycalm

And then you can even ban them from the forum so they can't complain :)

But yeah, as cdrkf said, no one's paying up front, we are paying monthly, so if you get banned stop paying. I think whoever can't understand this simple fact should get banned :)

Another thing I wanted to ask. We played two 32-player games yesterday, and we could be playing them (or larger games) every day if we wanted. Doesn't that mean that Uber has sort of delivered on the 40-player battles promise? Can't they say "40+ player battles (with dedicated server rental)", or something of the kind on the Steam page now?
  18. cola_colin

Well to be fair the game run at like 1/5th of the desired game speed.
    tatsujb likes this.
  19. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

No, because you aren't even able to join them without pastats. It'd be like if they advertised it as having matchmaking, or a ladder, or a TA inspired balance.
  20. icycalm

Is there any way to make them viewable to people without PA Stats?