Setting up a community dedicated-monster-of-a-server

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cola_colin, October 10, 2014.

1. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

Well as far as my own tests running dedicated server I've found that the server binary does not use much ram or cpu in linux when running --headless. In fact it uses less than CoherentUI. Ive ran games with 8 ai's on absurd with the dedicated server running on my laptop and its only at 50% usage while my desktop cpu is maxed out running PA and CoherentUI. I wonder does the flowfield pathfinding still run on the server and does the ai run on the server binary, if so neither is using that much cpu. The problem with playing local server is running the server on the same machine PA, coherentui goes beserk and spawns a cluster F#$@k of threads all over the place this can of course be fixed by --single-process. I can't even write a replay with --software-ui enabled, the server binary fails to write it if running on the same machine as coherent running in software mode. I bet with a server with 8 cores you could easily run multiple games.