Server In 1.0

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tehtrekd, July 26, 2014.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Thanks for this :) With respect to the info on the pages (and I'm sure you've all got this covered but indulge me) *if* it isn't going to be in on the day you officially announce 1.0 please make sure that is stated because you know how, whats the word? *technical* people can get about these things?

It would be tragic for the initial coverage of PA to be turned sour due to a timing issue (and sadly as the forums have shown people can get caught up in 'whats wrong' and overlook all the great stuff you've been doing).
    MrTBSC, lokiCML, kjotak109 and 2 others like this.
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

That "or very close" is actually VERY relieving.
    I still don't think it'll go over well, but it's nice to know that the potential backlash won't last long.
    emraldis likes this.
  3. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Magnifying negative things is the only way to bring attention to them.
    If you only focus on the positive the negative will never be fixed.

EDIT: Also, WHO CHANGED MY TITLE?! *pulls out chainsaw*
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Brad did.

It might actually be beneficial if they let the backlash outpour for a week and then release it. PA will be plastered all over the place and if it's resolved as quickly as it began then the lasting effect may be beneficial.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  5. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

I changed your title. And incorrect: being negative is not a way to get our attention, like, ever.
    popededi, DalekDan, MrTBSC and 3 others like this.
  6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Heh, I didn't think of it that way. It's a risky game trying to count on bad PR to advertise your product, but if that actually works I'll be impressed and very amused.
  7. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

Just to clarify, Stardock is a multi million dollar company with 30 years in the game industry. Uber is a relatively new startup with not nearly as much capita to spare on resources like that.
    kjotak109 likes this.
  8. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

30 years in the game industry was enough to teach Stardock to learn from its mistakes, to create a Gamer's Bill of Rights, and to create an awesome RT4X game. As a result, the company became widely successful.

Given the possibilities, Uber might follow the same path if it implements offline play by release. It depends on the budget.
  9. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Well, that's good news! Would you be willing to put out a alpha beta gamma galactic launch for all of us to try and break? And I feel that if you can release it close enough to launch, people may overlook that there was any delay at all.

Good luck to Mr. Senior Engineer Guy!
  10. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

So I have a solution to this problem. It simple have the release version as 0.99 instead of 1.0. Problem Solved.;)
    stuart98, cptconundrum and cola_colin like this.
  11. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Which they quietly removed once they released Elemental. They also blamed Gas Powered Games for their own failures in Demigod's multiplayer, making out that they were stepping in to save the day when it was their own ballsup.
    kjotak109 likes this.
  12. monte93

monte93 Active Member

i approve this post and think uber should read it…
    are there here yet?...
  13. monte93

monte93 Active Member

i love the game but mexico has an abusive relationship with servers…….
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Simulation in FA is actually single-threaded so sim bottlenecked at one core only, but renderer can use separate core without any problem. If I'm remember properly @bgolus confirmed this to me on reddit year or more ago.
  15. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone doubt that you're planning to deliver the offline server in a reasonable time. It's just that people, including me, take the 1.0 - maybe unreasonably - seriously. When people complain so much about the game, it's because they care. Please delay the game if polish or offline mode aren't satisfactory at that point.
    The game is brillant, and getting bad reviews for changing numbers to early isn't good.

Makes sense, otherwise the game would run really bad on quad-cores. The problem is just, that the simulation is the by far most demanding part of the whole game. And that stuff scales like hell on bigger maps and lategame. Graphics really aren't that important, you can just tone them down.
    Last edited: July 27, 2014
  16. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

will disappointed if servers don't make it into 1.0, my games always hit bandwith or serverside procesing limits.
    way before my local mashine does (recently upgraded to ivy hex core with 32gb)
    Also having lived in a rural area, I know that not having that ability will prevent any kind of play for many...
    Having said that If that's what uber needs to do, then so be it.
    I only hope the rest of the wourld will understand.
    kjotak109 and monte93 like this.