Server In 1.0

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tehtrekd, July 26, 2014.

1. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

This is from the neutrino reddit thread, people who seem to know that PA is a failure. Im not concerned that Uber
    will lack the succes to put in the features they havent added yet.

http://www.reddit.com/r/planetaryan...ibf2/planetary_annihilation_qa_with_neutrino/

[–]BoliverTurnbuckle 8 point 3 dage siden

Has PA met sales expectations thus far? I know Scathis recently went over the failure of SMNC at market, but it seems that PA has done much better.

[–]uber_neutrinoUber Employee 10 point 3 dage siden

More than met.
    cola_colin likes this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

It doesn't happen when I play FA, only the first one. But yes, I believe that was the point, eventually though it just gets ridiculously slow motion. This happens when you get up to the unit cap most often. :p
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That kind of info should not be hidden in some reddit threads. :)
    lokiCML and Fr33Lancer like this.
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Same thing happens in SupCom 2.
  5. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

It sounds like they are aiming for it at least. (from reddit)
  6. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

"Eventually"

That doesn't mean that it will be in for launch. We've already known it will be in eventually. The people who are going to cause the outrage won't care. As far as they're concerned, this is bait and switch. Both the KS and the uberent game page say that the game is DRM free. The steam page says it as well and says that only in early access is an internet connection required. This is a disaster waiting to happen, and happen it will if 1.0 doesn't allow for even a limited offline mode.
    lokiCML, brianpurkiss, tohron and 2 others like this.
  7. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

How many times have I played a match in FA or Supcom 2 without experiencing some form of lag?

The answer: NONE!

I always experience lag at some point in a match, even with a rig that can play at max settings.

But the problem does not lie in my system; it lies in the game engine itself.

- The Moho Engine, used in FA, can only run on one CPU core no matter how many cores a CPU can have.
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well yeah, they never said offline mode and no drm won't be in the game, it will, just maybe not at release. :p
  9. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

I know Uber hates to say "when" but if they release 1.0 without offline play, they could announce that they'll include it with the next update. That way people know it's coming, and reasonably soon. That said, I'd suggest that they not pull a "SOON" on the offline play - that vague CYA stuff causes problems. If people know it's on deck they'll mostly be cool with delays.
  10. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

I was concerned that they were going to go back on their claims of there being an offline mode.

I am fine with early access being always online to help the developers with data collection to improve their game, but I have had my internet go down several times in the last few months and it is EXTREMELY frustrating. When this game is released I should not have to be always connected to their servers to play this game. Especially now that they will have a boxed version.

I, and most others, consider it DRM. And if they release this as it is currently without the server, that is not "DRM Free." Always online is the one of the most obnoxious DRM techniques.
  11. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Sorry but to have no offline mode at release when they've constantly stated for the past year durring alpha/beta and gamma to those who ask about it that it wont be till release because they were "worried" about piracy is complete crap then in my book. I think a lot of people have been MORE then bloody patient with this game when it comes to playing offline because of sheer lack of performance which should all but gone in offline mode, there is no bandwidth restriction and to release a game, an RTS game that DOESNT have offline mode at launch, be prepared to get your asses kicked by reviewers thats all I can say. Early access, pre alpha, alpha, beta, gamma is fair game, once a game goes GOLD that is a WHOLE different ball game, The game is obviously not finished, the lava still looks like a POS to me and is clearly the worst planet type of all of them even though Uber tend not to, they can't even get the lighting right on lava for heaven sake, its bloody orange!! with ZERO illumination.

I'm not uber, I'm not the ceo, i haven't had a hand in making this game and far from saying that this game was anything of easy to make, far from it, but you cannot release a game half finished, you will get wipe-washed by the media and slew of un happy customers and you'll end up with a bad rep like Sword of the stars devs who never fully recovered after a botched release. If all the features that were promised by the kickstarter aren't there at release I will be gob-smacked!! For the love of god do not release it till its done...

One of the only reasons I backed this game so so early was that it was going to have offline mode. So am I aloud to get a refund now then? probably not huh? I dont have a fast internet conenction, I cannot get a fast connection in my area, online only for an RTS game just simply isn't what I paid for. I don't want this to turn into some sort of sim city situation where I'm waiting over a fking year to play the game I paid to play.
    Last edited: July 26, 2014
    andy06r, cola_colin and tehtrekd like this.
  12. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

The majority of people and reviewers don't see the difference.

They see a "finished" game that is lacking a bunch of promised features. There will be lots of backlash.

And I also know a lot of people who don't believe PA will be updated after 1.0 release because of what happened to MNC/SMNC.
  13. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Actually they have, you look at any of the streams one of the most common asked questions is if this game will be online and it has always been an astounding YES, DRM another issue, but the core game Uber has always stated it will have offline mode.... "Eventually" is not at release and at any time they get around to it.
    stuart98 likes this.
  14. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

They're not holding it back cause they're worried about piracy. They're holding it back because it isn't done.

They have the server working on a specific set of hardware, they have never released it to try it on the plethora of client systems out there. The server release is going to need a test version and *months* of testing before it can be deemed finished and public ready- having a team of skilled programmers operate it successfully in a controlled environment is a very different proposition to ensuring it works on whatever the players happen to try it on and is potentially a support nightmare if not tested first. Lets be realistic here- for Uber to be able to release the server there would need to be a PTE version or some other test version out with people now, so unless they're doing a secret invite only type thing with a few choice players then as far as I can tell that doesn't exist- ergo it isn't going to be available at 1.0.

I get your point about potential bad reviews- however to be fair that is only in light of poor information. Provided Uber make it very clear what is to be expected for 1.0 and what is a 'free future update' type deal they'll be fine. Having a game that is online only isn't exactly a big deal these days, most of the games I now play are online. What might get them stick though is having things like "epic 40 player battles" and "offline play" listed as features at release when they're not included. All it needs is a slight tweak to the info and they should be ok:

"Epic 10 player battles, with upcoming support for 20 and later 40 players in the works" and

"Internet connection required to play; Game server will be released for offline play, local LAN parties and private servers in a free update"

Those cover the fact of 1: What you get at version 1.0 and 2: What is going to happen and that the update adding those features will be free.

I think people can live with that.
    maxcomander, lokiCML and cptconundrum like this.
  15. kjotak109

Let's just hope that PA doesn't turn into a case of "false marketing..."

What exactly happened to MNC and SMNC, by the way?
  16. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Jon talked extensively about the server, 1.0, and being DRM-free in the posts you're linking, so I don't think it's necessary to talk about our vision on these specific components. What I can add is that we've had our most senior engineer working on the server release for some time. It's rough, complicated and laborious work, as you can imagine. We're going to deliver, but the precise when is tough at the moment. Either it'll be at launch or very close.
    radongog, ooshr32, Remy561 and 22 others like this.
  17. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

Thank you, sirs.
  18. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Thanks for letting us know it is being actively worked on. This is the kind of behind the scenes information that helps to clear up a lot of the misunderstandings.
  19. kjotak109

Thank you, sir, for letting me know about offline progress. I feel much more relaxed now.
  20. tohron

tohron Active Member

Thanks for the reply.

I'd just like to state that it's in Uber's interest to make sure the offline mode is ready at release, even if that means waiting a bit (though, given the need to announce a release date in advance, that's easier said than done - hence, better to err on the the side of caution). Just a few days of server problems at release could seriously hurt PA's public image.
    lokiCML and kjotak109 like this.