Server In 1.0

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tehtrekd, July 26, 2014.

1. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

I'm bored of seeing threads like this.
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Isn't the whole point of being an Early Access user to discuss things like this?
    nlaush and janusbifrons like this.
  3. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Hardly. The 'point' of an early access user, if you want to call it that, is to have early access to the game before official release (not that such a 'point' is relevant these days).

The point of an early access user is most definitely not to whinge every time new information is given to them.

Uber are delaying the Server release which, and let's be totally honest here, will not kill the game. If they catch flak then they catch flak. They wouldn't the first company in the world to do so, and they certainly won't be the last.

---

As I said before... I'm finding myself increasingly tired of " DOOOOM! " threads.
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Yeah I also think people need to consider, if you are requesting a major feature, that isn't at least in testing on pte, then basically it isn't going to be in for launch.

The sever is a big feature and it will require testing before its implemented. We would already have it now if it was a 1.0 feature.

As long as it does get released, I have no problem with when really. Uber have said it is coming, and I think they've proven themselves to follow through on things so it is coming :)
    lokiCML likes this.
  5. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

I guess a lot of people will buy the game just because the game concept sound awesome, they won't investigate in advance into details like whether there is offline mode or matchmaking, how much game content is there, whether the interplanetary gameplay is already in a good direction, and to what degree the developers have solved the challenges of UI and pathfinding etc.

So from a business perspective, it's not that bad to release the game in such a state, especially if the game starve for money for further development.
  6. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Maybe uber simply wants to have all players running on their own dedicated servers to ensure possible 1.0 issues related to server are not going to be mixed up with pure client issues. And remember each single planet is a single thread. This means a player attempting to run both client ans server at thé same time on a low end machine will simply have a bad expérience from the very beginning. This possibly means hundreds of unhappy players not making thé différence between local game and local client-server games. Uber may have to simplement features to control whether its OK for the machine to handle the worload for both client and server. Client is multi threaded and server also is. How do you handle the server and client threads priorities when CPU is exhausted ? Client and server might simply not be ready for this, thus explaining why server will not be available for 1.0.
    Anyway it's obvious uber thinks they have to push 1.0 asap, which means cutting out features and delay them post release.
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

As I said already I personally have no issues with fact that server won't be available right on release because there is multiple reasons why this isn't good idea at all. So I personally all for Uber here as long as server release isn't delayed for too long (e.g less than half of year for sure, lol).

Developers does use client and server all the time. Only missing part @neutrino said about it's some API for UberNet / PlayFab so players servers can be added to global list.

Do you seriously think that PA sim is a lot heavier than SupCom sim for example?

One core of server on Amazon EC2 isn't more powerful than any single core CPU for sure.

Only reason why OS is found it's because they handle such scheduling tasks for you and they do that well.

PS: Again, I don't see anything wrong with delay because everything what's good for Uber (from financial point of view) is good for PA, but two theories above just looks bad. :p
  8. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

I'm just going to copy paste something that I posted in another thread. (I don't mind if this is deleted due to not wanting a duplicate post from another thread, just wanted to share my thoughts with more people.)

9. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Uber Dont delay plz go without looking + to anithing ....
  10. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree. There is just no point in rushing this, and a release without offline-mode, one of the advertised features, has no right in being called version 1.0.

Doing that is making a statement 'the game is released and basically finished', and releasing a always-on game when you developed a game on the base of trust, including the promise of making it drm-free, is just a really bad thing to do.

There can be reasons, versions might be pure semantics, there could be excuses, but in the end stands that you did not hold that promise and lied to your supporters. It's that easy.

And that's not even mentioning a possible '1.0' store version...
  11. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Jumping on board this by simply saying;

I have slow, back-water Internets; I haven't played a lot of the alpha or the beta because of this.

I have been hanging out for offline mode this entire time.
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I am starting to wonder what exactly will be in 1.0?
    Potentially no servers, no ladders, no chats.
    Sure servers and ladders are not 100% confirmed to be not in. But up until a while ago it was quite clearly said that those features are 100% vital and will be in. Now that's not sure anymore. Doesn't look good.

So all features I have been waiting for seem to be likely to be crossed out and hopefully only delayed. Am I to expect a 1.0 release by next week? Cause that would sort of explain it. Though I wonder where even the point is in saying "1.0" when so many features that originally were expected to be 1.0 are not in it. Like we have been telling people "the game will be drm free on 1.0" all the time, because that was promised on multiple occasions. No servers in 1.0 will actually not only make a small part of multiplayer-nerds angry, but a LOT more people.

Let's ask the positive question:
    What features ARE considered vital for 1.0 by Uber?
    Cause tbh. all features that I think were vital for a release version are not sure to be in anymore. If someone asked me: What's a feature we can expect on release all I could say now would be: Dunno. Maybe another reworked lobby UI?
  13. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, Amazon release date is 23rd of September (source).
    That's a roughly 2 months. But it is summer and holidays, so it counts more like 1 month.
    I can understand the feature lock and the bug-fixing priority.
    Pretty sure Uber will initiate (if not already) on the side, the other major features people are expecting, so it would be available shortly (1-2 months) after release.
  14. Geers

Geers Post Master General

So people will be even more pissed when they find that stuff is missing.
  15. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

I think we need a little more communication on Uber's part about what exactly is going to be excluded from v1.0, and why they're making that decision, no matter how poor it is.

But if they do happen to exclude offline from v1.0, that's going to be a mistake that they might not recover from.Uber doesn't have the financial backing that Blizzard and the Simcity dev(Firaxis?) do. Not having offline will give the game, especially after promising DRM-free, such a horrible reputation, that it will wind up doing more bad than good in the long run.I want to see PA be a success, and this is giving me pause. I play PA when I can, but if there's no offline mode, Im not touching PA until there is, simply because my connection is too spotty. And I want to play PA. I really do.Uber;
    Please communicate with us. In a time like this, there's a lot of doubts, and a lot of confusion, and someone needs to be out here keeping the masses calm. Your early access community is starting to catch on fire, and you're the only ones with the fire extinguisher. I understand that resources are limited, but please take out a few minutes to address our concerns.
  16. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Neutrino spent more than a day this week, answering questions on reddit, and here in Ladder / Global Chat threads.
    He already explained their choice multiple times ...

You guys want always more communication, but what people doesn't seem to get, is that the more they do, the less stuff gets done !
    lokiCML, cwarner7264 and BulletMagnet like this.
  17. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Also, some people interpret a simple difference of opinion on a subject as lack of communication.
    lokiCML and Fr33Lancer like this.
  18. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

While I absolutely agree with this statement, I feel like this topic is pretty interesting in comparison to Uber's stance on matchmaking and ladders.

They are quite certain that many people are mostly interested in playing vs the ai and I am quite sure that they are right.
    But those very people will be extremely pissed off if they can't play the game without internet connection....
    It's not like the Steam Hub wasn't full of people who publicly try to make others boycott PA because of "always-online-drm"...

But apparently Uber is still selling enough copies of PA (I recall Neutrino saying that PA has been selling better than expected so far), so we might overestimate the issue.
    lokiCML likes this.
  19. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

I am bored of seeing posts like this...
    nlaush likes this.
  20. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Neutrino said that 1.0 is basically what we have now plus polish, bug fixes, and maybe a surprise feature.