Scale Megathread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, June 24, 2013.

?

The size of units and structures in PA should be :

1. Decreased a Whole Lot

122 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Increased

37 vote(s)
    6.6%
  3. Left as they are

132 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Decreased

271 vote(s)
    48.2%
  1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Re: SCALE MEGATHREAD NEW POLL !!

I could photoshop an image of the mountains ten times biggers onto that planet if you want XD hint : it wouldn't fit
  2. pantsburgh

pantsburgh Active Member

I expect this is the better solution.

Planet size is irrelevant; planets can already be tiny or huge.

Unit scale vs feature scale is the problem. Scaling the units down has all kinds of implications - texel density, gravity scale, zoom levels, and who knows how much else (Uber's programmers, that's who). If the features get upsized then all of that is preserved, and only the features need to be redone. Since most or all of the art isn't finished anyway that seems like a non-issue.

TLDR: So really it's a decision between 1) remake all unit art + make coding changes or 2) remake all terrain feature art.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

did people actualy think about the possible consequenses of stuff being shrunk and
    other stuff looking bigger ? ...
    as has been said in an interview shrinking units/structures
    may make the planets bigger ...
    this may also mean making units take longer to travel around with unchanged speed making the game lasting unnessecarily longer for people that want quick matches unless even smaller planets are made ... which may aswell lead to the same scaling problem again just with the other stuff looking too big this time ...
    i say people should wait until bigger planets are available for better comparison
    ... as has been said many times already ... alpha ... of course stuff is subjekt to change ...
  4. tatsujb

mrtbsc, you arrive weeks late, read over the whole thread you'll see we answered comments like yours and Jon Mavor commented two times to say he was in favor of unit size shrinking but he would like the idea to be more clear cut and precise.

Col Jessep cleverly pointed out our brain subconciously uses trees as metersticks and the trees should be reducd in size to give all terrain features (which are NOT shrunken when on smaller planets) a feel of greater size ultimately resulting in us interpreting the units as smaller.

In response to you post no, units being shrunken do not make them move slower, that is not how code works, their speed coeffiecent is not contained within their model files.

yes this would mean that the shrunken unit would seem to move faster, then again I find this really would be a plus.
    Last edited: September 21, 2013
  5. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

... ... sry what ??? why trees? aren´t they meant to be used by small units in comparison
    to be hidden in forrests? how much smaller do you want them to be???
    i´m not intrested in micromashine units ...
    i rather compare the units themselfes to their enviroment then vice versa

depends on the sizedecrease though ... hey superspeedy minibulldog !!!! ... not realy preferable ...
    Last edited: July 12, 2013
  6. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

If this is the case, and all terrain features are not shrunken on smaller planets, then I do believe that there is .. a problem (?) with scale, but what to DO about it..

I do realize if you photoshopped a bunch of mountains large enough to make the units and structures in x1 look like their size in x0.3.. they would seriously be making the planet look less like a planet and more like.. more like..
    ..uh

a spikey.. round thing.. of doom ... ?

.. you know that actually does sound pretty awesome. See what you did, Tatsu? Now I'm all reminiscent of those Total Annihilation maps where they had those huge massive rock spikes that just kind of stuck into the air.. hahaha
  7. pantsburgh

pantsburgh Active Member

This is a non-issue. We already have tiny planets that the current terrain features won't fit on (moons, asteroids). At some point you have to say "this planet is too small for this feature" regardless of whether the features change size or not.

Wouldn't that mean we compare units to the trees and see the units as larger too? That doesn't really take its own logic full circle.
  8. PrinceAAwe

PrinceAAwe Member

Re: SCALE MEGATHREAD (now with quick poll!)

lol yea i voted for larger scale by mistake :oops:
    but Definitely they should decrease the scale a whole lot! it looks so much more awesome :D
  9. pureriffs

pureriffs Member

I am happy for the scale to be reduced. It sure does look better. The 0.7 one at least. The others are too small.

The only thing i am worried about is the length of the games. a 1v1 lasts about 30 mins atm. But when more worlds are brought in, this game length is going to increase. If the units are smaller and the worlds arebigger the games will last even longer?
    Unless you redue planet size, in which case what is the point?
    You fight most of the time zoomed out anyway. You only really look up close when ur building.

I am also for different sized units, ie t2/3 power plants being much bigger than t1. Not just 2 stuck together. It shows very quickly here is an important structure to attack and was quite expensive to build.
    I really liked this idea of scale from sup com. Same with the point defence as apposed to the t3 pd in pa having 3 barrels instead of 2. What was the name of the bigish laser defence turret in ta? was it the annihilator? give me this =)

Early days though and to be fair i am loving it. i just hope lots of people play it and there will be a competative community.
  10. veta

veta Active Member

unit speed should be increased to compensate
  11. tatsujb

Re: SCALE MEGATHREAD (now with quick poll!)

Fear not you may correct your vote at any time.
  12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

That's the route to issues many had with SupCom unit scaling/speeds.

Mike
  13. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

The speed is maybe off with supcom, but it's some virtual speed.

More importantly, the scale feels right.

And we are talking of unit going around a planet in some seconds no matter the speed is (faster than superman?), so...
  14. veta

veta Active Member

yup. this is a pick your poison situation.
  15. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Oooooooorrrrrr we wait until we have more than just the smaller planet to play on before we start suggesting scale changes?
  16. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

As stated several times in this thread, the features (trees, ...) won't change with planet size.
  17. veta

veta Active Member

indeed, this has nothing to do with planet size per se
  18. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

agreed. Although this has been talked about earlier in the thread.

I would be more interested to know at this juncture, weather the lowest zoom level could be decreased (IE made lower to the ground). I just don't feel like I can get close enough sometimes!
  19. veta

veta Active Member

try pressing M and using WASDRF to navigate
  20. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

scale issues in SupCom? SupCom scale feels perfect imho. The number might have been horribly wrong, but it looks good.
    tatsujb likes this.