1. dmii

dmii Member

Which hopefully will not happen. Where is the fun in a forced 20 minute buildup with nothing notable happening?
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Until we know more details about how Interplanetary Transport is handled, impossible to say, but I have some theories on that particular subject.

Mike
  3. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

If you don't like getting rushed then build up enough defense to counter it then let the game progress to mid-late.

Don't be one of those guys who only plays 20 min no rush with no air no arty and no nuke.
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I like no arty no nuke games!

But I also like no research station games!
  5. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Me too, I like to call that game mode “Forged Alliance”. :p
  6. RCIX

RCIX Member

Some of us come for more than 10 minute rush fests where the point is to force a victor as fast as possible. =p
  7. eukanuba

And the unresolvable "debate" between 'rushnoobs' and 'turtlenoobs' starts again with aplomb!
  8. RCIX

RCIX Member

[​IMG]
  9. eukanuba

You tell me, it seems there are lots of people on both sides who are very militant in their views.
  10. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

I always set it as a challenge for all my friends to break my defence in TA and SupCom FA/2. I took on 3v1 in SupCom and SupCom2 and still won my games pretty regularly.

I hope there is at least some way I can replicate the feat in Planetary Annihilation.
  11. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Play people only used to the AI ;p

Mike
  12. CrixOMix

CrixOMix Member

Not sure if early aggresion should be able to end games early, but it should be able to cripple their economy while yours booms, therefore granting you the win in the early-mid game.
  13. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

It would seem foolish to be able to 'cripple' your enemy with an early rush, and then have to wait another 20 minutes to build up enough forces to take him out.

If you die in the first 8 minutes it's likely the enemy had already gotten an advantage which would have killed you in 28 minutes. Consider it a plus all around that you get a chance to learn how to do those first 8 minutes, 3x faster!
  14. calxllum

calxllum Member

Trivial matters mean nothing. All these points people bring up, they mean nothing in the face of scale. The can go from planet to planet and crash them together.
  15. bubba41102

bubba41102 Member

im fine with econmy collapse but rushing to kill is the thing i am talking bou
  16. seniorpino

seniorpino New Member

I reckon the game will be proper balanced and thus that will mean that when an opponent is able to take you out the game at an early stadium, that will just mean that the opponent is better than you.
    In a good balanced game, rushing (while coming out as a victor per engagement) is actually not that easy. In PA (it being a TA style game) a unsuccessful rush at the enemy leaves the enemy with your wreckage.
    By scouting out what your opponent is doing, you should know if you should built more offensive or defensive units, that's all part of the game including: rushing, turtling and everything in between.

Also there might even be a rush-counter to set to the minutes you desire like a lot of other RTS around.
  17. bubba41102

bubba41102 Member

well thank you and thank god there will not be asteroid rushes (depening on how long it takes to get to asteroids) that would be crazy.
  18. seniorpino

seniorpino New Member

I'm pretty sure destroying stuff with asteroids is lategame tech, like nukes. Also in the kickstarter video you see asteroid defense system (they might even work against smaller asteroids or with more defenses even against the big ones).
    Rushing for endgame tech leaves you open to attack because you're obviously spending less money on other stuff (like defenses or an army).
    Again, rushing should never be an issue in a balanced RTS game and that is aside rush-timers or non-rush games which there will probably also be.
  19. eukanuba

But if your economy has collapsed then it is just a matter of time before you are killed. How is it better to drag that out?

There comes a point in RTS games (and especially in this particular family) that there is absolutely no way back. That point can come as early as one player's early expansion being denied, as long as it is followed up on properly by the opponent.

"Strategy" and "tactics" are all well and good, but the fact is that most games are decided on numbers alone. It's only when you have extremely well-matched players that strategy or tactics come into it at all, and if I'm going to be killed by weight of numbers I would rather that once it's clear I have been crippled, the death comes sooner rather than later.
  20. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I think the challenge isn't preventing rushing. It's making rushing neither better nor worse than turtling.

Both should be viable yes?