Runs on Imac?

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by badfucatus, August 10, 2014.

1. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

Hi all,

Something kinda horrible has happened to me since the beginning of the year. The only upshot is that I'm getting a bit of cash to spend soon. So having been a PC freak for years, I thought I might treat myself to a spanky new Imac. Reasons include windows 8, and my sad love affair with my iphone 5c.
    Of course I'm getting this for work reasons only!! I write, and illustrate.
    Still....
    I was wondering how PA would run on the beast. I'm lovestruck by the 27 inch version, 3.2 GHz, which I'm going to get with 16 Go ram.
    I'd love to run it on Uber settings... would that be possible?
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's depend on what GPU it's will include, but 2560x1440 with mobile GPUs isn't that powerful at all and drivers on OS X isn't perfect. Though in PA it's not question of settings, but of number of units and size of planets.
  3. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

Thxs for getting in touch, the card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M with 1g.
    Does anyone here have a similar machine? and If so could they give me an idea of performance?
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

First of All 1GB VRAM is already not enough for Uber settings.
    To play with "middle" or "high" level of "virtual texture" you need at least 2GB video memory.

You can as well check those links:
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce GT 755M
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
    Their benchmarks isn't best ever and might be biased (for AMD graphics), but their rating still indicate GPU segment well enough. To comfortable play PA on 1080p monitor under Windows you need one of GPUs with at least 3000 score, while GT755M have only have 1700 and under OS X drivers performance will be a bit worse.

PS: So you need something at least 2X times faster to get it work reasonable on 2560x1440.
    Last edited: August 11, 2014