"Review" by Rock Paper Shotgun

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by unimatrx, September 17, 2014.

1. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

DalekDan and squishypon3 like this.
  2. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

He's almost as bad as that "Quarter to Three" loser.
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Not if you're IGN, you criticize the payment you've received for the review, not the game. ;)
    Raevn and Nicb1 like this.
  4. planktum

planktum Post Master General

Congratulating the team for "completing" the game so quickly? It's not complete or finished.
  5. squishypon3

Complete is entirely subjective.

The game is essentially complete in terms of what Uber originally wanted to do. Which is all they claim

Now of course it's not complete, no game that still updates is anyway.
  6. idsan

idsan Member

It seems like this reviewer has gone off the other end of the spectrum, compared to other reviews. He's basically lauding it with praise, throwing it "and everyone's a robot!" every now and again. A very entertaining read, but I couldn't really find any negatives mentioned; people basing their pre-game impressions from reviews like this might be disappointed with the game in its current state.
  7. planktum

Yes exactly. It's complete as far as Uber is concerned, but as far as many reviewers are concerned it's far from compete, and therefore the game is being rightfully critiqued.

You can't just discount all these reviews as being unfairly harsh. They all have the same common themes running through them, so if you and Uber want to stick your heads in the sand and make excuses, and say that the criticism is unwarranted, then I don't have much hope for this game. Uber should admit their mistakes, give people a timeline for when and what things are still going to be implemented, and calm the storm. We all knew this was going to happen when the v announced the release date. The game is not finished and we have no idea when it will be and what the finished game will look like. Uber is all about giving vague answers to everything and that leaves everything open to speculation.
  8. squishypon3

That whole 3/4ths of your post had nothing to do with what we were discussing, but I digress.

I agree, the game is definitely missing a lot, the release was early. I think the game deserves a 6/10 or 7/10. My issue is not with people having a bad opinion of the game, it's against people making completely subjective reviews. Or even reviews that downright give off misinformation.
  9. planktum

There is no such thing as an objective review. I guess you also believe that newspapers give you an objective view of the news. All reviews or journalism in general is subjective.

My review of this game...

Concept = 10/10
    Execution = 4/10
  10. squishypon3

Oh man, you sound like Icycalm. That's just false, it is possible to give an unbiased review (at least as unbiased as humanly possible), in fact- I'm writing one up as we speak.
  11. planktum

LOL, you've just proved my point. Everyone thinks their own opinion is unbiased. But it's your "own" opinion based on your own view of the world. You can't say your opinion is unbiased. That's my whole point. And if you can't understand that then you are a lost cause. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and if an opinion is unwarranted then it will be discredited by the multitude of opinions which go against it. The fact is however, many of these negative reviews are actually saying the same things, so you can't discredit them as easily.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  12. squishypon3

I'm just trying to say.. there's a difference between a professional review and an unproffesional review. Of course both do have some bias in it... But one has MUCH more than the other. A true reviewer should try their hardest to be as unbiased as possible, it's literally their job.
    drz1 likes this.
  13. planktum

Yes, but what I'm telling you is that it is literally impossible for a human being to give an unbiased opinion, even if that is their job. That's why you will get a totally different spin on a subject, depending on whether you are watching FOX news or CNN. So Uber and all the undying supporters of this game need to start listening to the naysayers. Some of the criticism is warranted.
    Last edited: September 18, 2014
  14. squishypon3

Agreed, some is, but some isnt. My proof is that I can appreciate someones thought and time that they put into a project, even though I wanted to win really badly. It's possible for me to realize why they've one.

Fox is just... Oh man, fox, don't even get me started on Fox. Not only biased, but often gives complete misinformation, or at the very least is hugely misleading. There was once a graph on Fox, they were forced to correct it because it was some very close numbers, yet of course the sident hey supported was huge whilst the other was tiny.
  15. planktum

But in the eyes of Fox they believe what they are saying is true. So hopefully you are starting to see my point.

The avid supporters of Uber are focusing on the couple of reviews which may be misinforming the public, but there are many negative reviews which do have valid points. Rather than focusing the discussion on those few reviews which are misinforming, let's start focusing on the many valid points the bulk of the negative reviewers are highlighting, so that Uber are held accountable for their mistakes and may actually start working to address them. There's no point in making excuses for Uber.
  16. squishypon3

I actually have some doubts Fox even believes what they say, haha. :p
  17. portable

portable Active Member

I can't imagine @sorian found the review all that bad.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  18. planktum

Stop avoiding the subject! :p
  19. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

It might not be the most critical or professional review, but I found it to be well written (he uses some great turns of phrase!) and humourous, and positive overall.
  20. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Lovely review, laughed a lot at this: "Like I say, I am a fleshy human. I need someone with flaws like my own to play against, so I went online to find some other meatbags to cavort with. But it turns out that the playerbase of Planetary Annihilation are AIs as well."