"Review" by Rock Paper Shotgun

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by unimatrx, September 17, 2014.

1. realwar

realwar Member

2. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

I guess IGN didn't get their payoff lol, the whole review is "I don't like spheres grrr"
    Nicb1 and squishypon3 like this.
  3. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

lol, better go back to your GotY press-forward simulators, IGN.
  4. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

squishypon3 likes this.
  5. icycalm

Why are you exasperated, Tehtrekd? I thought you liked journalists.
  6. realwar

realwar Member

I do agree that the reviewer whining about that was stupid. However, he had a good point, "and promo videos explaining the rudiments of RTS games are not substitutes for a tutorial." First with SMNC, and now with PA. Tutorials aren't a waste of time, Uber.
  7. icycalm

They were in the 80s and the 90s. Uber is old-school.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  8. epicblaster117

Yeah there are many things missing in the game that were promised, and I would rate the game just about average, but it seemed very focus on stating that spheres are terrible for some reason.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

more like first impressions than review imo ... but still nice to read ...
    squishypon3 and realwar like this.
  10. subedii

subedii New Member

I actually agree with the IGN review. Thing is, I also agree with the RPS review.

I feel they're addressing two different things. The RPS review misses out some clear flaws that the IGN one notes (poor implementation of singleplayer, no saving etc.). But they also have a much better idea of how the general game is supposed to flow and the areas where it does work.

It's almost like they're both talking about opposite aspects of the same game and ignoring the rest.
  11. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

It's a shame that the IGN review will contribute to the metacritic score, and the RPS one won't, though. Sigh. Or am I wrong?
    squishypon3 likes this.
  12. MrTBSC

screw metacritic .. scores are for the butt ...
  13. epicblaster117

Even though many people blindly use them to judge a buying decision, metacritic sucks, but that doesn't make it any less important.
    squishypon3 and drz1 like this.
  14. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

review reads like someone got their *** handed to them in MP, well its not him its the game and round planets, just look at the opening paragraph, professional review... my ******* ***. What a ****
  15. MrTBSC

what about metacritic is important? it throws together a number of scores and reviews and calculates a average out of it ... great ... what does that help? F.A. !
    what else does it do? ... it is somewhat of a databank to peoples reviews and impressions ... that helps better but does that make metacritic important? no it doesn´t ... what is important are the reviews and impressions themselves
    not the scores but what you get informationwise out of it .. how many people state about similar or same problems of the game, what content do they like .. and as such you can read out the biggest strengths and flaws of the product ... THAT is what matters ...
    metacritic by itself is not important at all ... people just needlessly make it important giving it power it doesn´t deserve at all ...
    Last edited: September 18, 2014
  16. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

:D
    squishypon3 likes this.
  17. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

I must say I liked the IGN review. Not because it shat on the game, it's because it's right. We were expecting much more from this. Currently everything DOES feel like it's half baked. Seeing that PA has plans for the ongoing support I'll probably be sticking around for a while hoping that things improve, but I really didn't expect a full release to happen when the game is still lacking in a lot of things. This game is a diamond in the rough, buried deep beneath the ground. I can only hope Ubers full mod support will actually be given enough attention so other people can go and fix the game (like FA -> FAF).
    bradaz85 and epicblaster117 like this.
  18. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Why should we care about reviews ?
    Honestly if we have backed this game and supported Uber, it's obviously because we were waiting for something different from all these same boring AAA games reviewed by IGN. Well this is the case for me. I mostly play indie games, because while not being perfect in the first place, they are the only one to provide all the fun i'm looking for.
    Last games i recently played : PA, Broforce, Defense grid 2, Space run.
    I don't care about reviews, what really matters is if i enjoy a game. Reviewers will never tell me what i should play or not.
    And by the way, PA has been in Steam top-10/20/30 since the official launch.
    Something keeps on my mind since the very beginning of the kickstarter : Uber has allways been clear on this, this game development is an on going process, and official release exists as a first milestone.
    unimatrx and icycalm like this.
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I don't trust IGN.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    10/10 IGN: "It was good."
    epicblaster117 and cptconundrum like this.
  20. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I lolled. :)