Remove commander Sniping

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ohhhshiny, July 28, 2013.

1. SatanPetitCul

SatanPetitCul Active Member

If you send units without air cover across a huge distance, you deserve to lose. That just stupid. You want to have AA tanks in order to counterbalance your bad tactical choice ?

Seriously, you count on chance to win a battle ? what kind of RTS player are you ?

EDIT:

If you need air cover, build AA, damn it !
    It like complaining about the fact that fabricators cannot defend them-self and they get killed by a single scout. You will not claim that fabricators need lasers ? don't you ? you will just defend the Fabs with tanks/turrets or whatever. It is exactly the same here.
    Last edited: July 31, 2013
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

No, we want tanks to be able to kill a LONE bomber going up against a shed-load of tanks.

Tanks sitting there like lemons and not even trying to fight back looks stupid and reinforces arbitrary Starcraftian "hard" counters.

Having an immutable rock-paper-scissors approach to things isn't strategy either you know?
  3. SatanPetitCul

If you are able to build a shed-load of tank, but you forget to build some anti-air, it is an error ! After some game you will get use, don't worry ;)
  4. nanolathe

Correct, and it is not one that should not be able to be punished by ONE bomber.

Oh, and knock-off the patronising tone. You're fully aware that I know what I'm talking about, so trying to imply that I can't play RTS games or that I'm a "noob" is unbecoming.
  5. SatanPetitCul

1 submarine can sink a lot of boat, even in TA. Nobody ever ask that ALL ships need anti-submarine torpedos.
  6. nanolathe

Hah! Ships can force-fire on the ocean in TA and SupCom/FA and kill Subs. They never needed torpedoes. Any ship can kill a sub.

If one Sub was able to kill a lot of your ships, then you weren't aware of this very easy-to-pull-off counter.

You could say that your counter-argument has, quite literally, been blown out of the water
    :lol:
  7. SatanPetitCul

You convince me, let s have tank shooting at sky, or even stars... i don t care.
  8. nanolathe

Don't worry, after some game you will get use.
    :D
  9. randathamane

randathamane New Member

satanpetitcul, you've missed the point.

You need to have a tier 2 ground unit that can target air units otherwise air becomes way overpowered. It's a realistic and fair option to include in the game to ensure that air, sea and land are all balanced out.

oh and on a side note...

I reserve the right to express an opinion without being insulted.
  10. SatanPetitCul

Really sorry if you felt insulted, it was not the purpose. I should not have been rude.

I totally agree with that. Efficient AA ground units are needed. I just think that tank (the one makes to shoot at ground) should not be able to shoot planes.

Anyway this specific point is now obsolete :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4kvsGCCTuo#t=18m45s
  11. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

If you do not know what a HARD counter is: Mutalisk vs. Marauder. Dropship vs. Marine.

Everything else where units can exchange blows is a SOFT counter. Zergling vs. Marine vs. Zealot is a soft counter. A rock dragged behind an alley getting beat down by 5 papers is a soft counter.

Starcraft causes most hard counters to be deliberately slow. A slow hard counter allows more time for other factors to change the pace of battle.
    A hard counter is 100%, absolute, and battle is always going to resolve in a singular way. It basically defines the game in very concrete terms. That's booooooooooooooooring.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are numerous factors to control unit balance. Firepower density is one such example. A unit with high range, high damage, and small size can pack into a lethal deathball. A unit with high range, low damage, and large size can not. The TA Samson is a perfect example of good AA. Its lumbering form renders it very weak against ground, without ever having to remove its ability to attack ground. Things like this provide indirect control over where a unit excels and when.

Range is a HUGE factor against hitting air. It takes a strong gun to hit high altitude, so all short range units are instantly disqualified. Uber can also increase the altitude of aircraft to further limit ground units.
  12. nanolathe

I think you mean 5 rocks against 1 paper.
    ;)
  13. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMxzU6hxrNA
  14. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

So long as that paper is worth as much as those 5 rocks, it's fine.
  15. nanolathe

I'm just sayin' that "one paper > one rock". There's no need for five paper to gang up on one rock. That's not a soft counter. That's overkill.
    :p