[REL] War Turtle

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by Engineer1234, August 22, 2015.

1. nDervish

nDervish New Member

Some additional information on the "corrupted zip" error:

A file is downloaded to

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\pamm_cache\com.titans.server.robintick.war_turtle_v0.008.zip

This file consistently has a size of approximately 85.5kb (as reported by the Explorer interface), but the exact size (as shown by the Properties dialog) varies from one attempt to the next. (87,567 bytes; 87,624 bytes; 87,569 bytes; etc.)

Attempting to open the file as a zip archive results in an error stating that it's an invalid archive. Opening it with notepad, however, reveals that it's not a zip archive at all - it's an HTML document!

PAMM's debug log reports the Dropbox URL that it's attempting to download the file from. Opening this link in a browser reveals it to be a 404 page. (Since this is my first post to this forum, the software won't allow me to include the link in my post, but you should be able to get it from your PAMM debug log easily enough.)

I'm not familiar with how PAMM manages its mod database, but I'd say you probably need to re-upload the file and/or update the PAMM database with the correct/new URL for the mod download.
  2. Mirolog

Mirolog Well-Known Member

lolwut. zip archive as html? can i please see it?
    Also, i think that pamm will unpack the mod to correct location, and you don't need to touch anything.
  3. MasterKane

MasterKane Member

I think that in the mentioned case PAMM downloaded an Error 404 page and saved it as .zip archive, then failed on attempt to unpack it. I don't have such a situation, probably I've installed the mod before the link got broken. Anyway, PAMM internal link to the mod should be checked.
  4. nDervish

nDervish New Member

Yes, exactly.

PAMM attempts to download the document /s/a48e99f0ucbu4o7/com.titans.server.robintick.war_turtle%200.008.zip?dl=1 from www dot dropbox dot com using https. (Again, the forum won't allow me to post a working link, but you should be able to piece the link together for yourself.)

Dropbox responds with a 404 error. If you want to see this error for yourself, you can use a browser to visit the URL I described above.

PAMM apparently doesn't do any error checking, so it doesn't notice that it received an HTTP status of 404 (document not found) instead of 200 (OK) and saves the error page with the name "com.titans.server.robintick.war_turtle 0.008.zip", because that is the name of the file it expected to receive.

PAMM then attempts to unzip "com.titans.server.robintick.war_turtle 0.008.zip" and fails because it is not the zip archive that was expected, but rather an HTML error page.
  5. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

The files are no longer in my Dropbox, I remove them from Dropbox right after uploading and publishing the mod to PAMM, and then I'm able to install the mod from PAMM succesfully, though not every try.
    The Dropbox upload is a one-time thing, PAMM doesn't keep grabbing the file from Dropbox every time you download the mod.

The probleem is with PAMM or their server somewhere,because I upload a zip once (per mod version) and then I can install it succesfully through PAMM on one try, and the next try might fail, if I retry enough times it works.
    I'm not changing the zips in between.
  6. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

PAMM does download the mod every time. If you submit a mod to the PAMM server, it will read your mod, but it will only keep the URL and the modinfo.json. PAMM is not responsible for hosting the .zip itself. It will only ever use the URL.

So if you submit you mod to PAMM and then delete it from your Dropbox, then players won't be able to install your mod. For example, PAMM gets the data for it's available mods from this link: https://pamm-mereth.rhcloud.com/api/mod
    Your mod appears there as:
    Code:
    {"context":"server","identifier":"com.pa.server.robintick.war_turtle","author":"robintick","version":"0.006","display_name":"War Turtle","description":"Buffs static defences for your turtling pleasure","dependencies":[],"build":"83796","date":"2015/07/25","forum":"https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-war-turtle.69323/","category":["in-game","server-mod"],"icon":"https://i.imgur.com/Quyx21V.jpg","url":"https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2yh3lsa3h3w1yl/com.pa.server.robintick.war_turtle%200.006.zip?dl=1"},
    If you try to open that link, you get a 404 page by Dropbox, which is just a HTML page (an actual 404 HTTP Reponse not is sent...). So PAMM stores that file, thinking it's a ZIP, even if it's a HTML page. Of course it will run in trouble trying to extract that.

Now the reason why it works for you after deleting the file from Dropbox is that it takes some time for Dropbox to get in sync with your computer again. It's not instantaneous. It may even take some time between all of Dropbox'es servers to sync between themselves, which could explain why it sometimes works and sometimes not. In the end though, it will always fail.

So long story short, uploading a mod is not a one-time thing. The ZIP file should always remain available. Don't delete it after submission.
  7. Engineer1234

REALLY ?! :confused:
    So I have to keep that file in Dropbox...
    I have not read this anywhere, hence my surprise, I went by the instructions in OP of this thread.
    Thanks for clarifying, when I get home I'll put the files back into Dropbox.
    Do I have to reupload the files into PAMM and provide a new link too ? or will it work if the filename and folder path have not changed.
  8. DeathByDenim

Sure, no problem.

You probably need to provide a new link, unless the URL stays exactly the same. The URL currently in PAMM is
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2yh3lsa3h3w1yl/com.pa.server.robintick.war_turtle 0.006.zip?dl=1
    So if that random bit in the middle there stays the same, then you are good. Otherwise you have to update. Same goes for the icon part of your mod of course.
  9. Mirolog

That new turret looks awesome!
    Did you fix turrets shooting ground problem? It's the only thing I don't like abouth your mod.
  10. Engineer1234

I can't make the lasers stop shooting the ground, what I might be able to do is change their projectiles from lasers to something that fires in a ballistic arc so they fire OVER the curvature of the planet, though that would still be useless on very small planets.
    I'm also wary of it looking very silly, because I like the look of the current fast lasers.
    I'm going to give it a try, but if I don't like the way it looks I might keep the current lasers.
  11. Mirolog

Is it possible to make them not fire without direct line of sight?
    I mean, tanks are not trying to shoot enemies through mountains, so why turrets try to do this?
  12. Engineer1234

I couldn't find any setting that makes the weapon or ammo check for line of sight, so I went with the first option and made the laser turrets fire in a low ballistic arc.
    I'm not sure I like the way it looks, give it a try and let me know what you think.
  13. Mirolog

Now turrets can actually hit something at their max range!
    How about transforming turrets into some sort of unguided missile launchers (because laser shots with ballistic arc is not that awesome)? With less ROF bot more damage and some AOE?

It will work better against low-hp unit spam, and will slightly increase perfomance because of less projectiles. It also might help AI a little, because it usually blocks turrets with stuff.
  14. shrub77

shrub77 New Member

I get a CTD when I click on the torpedo launcher using this mod. Anyone else having that issue?

is the source for this mod available anywhere?
  15. austin391

austin391 New Member

I am having an issue and I narrowed it down to two mods, this turtle mod and Orbital warfare overhaul on game version 89755. When I run these two mods together everything seems to work fine except the repair turret on the turtle mod doesn't show up when I run the orbital warfare mod, however when I disable Orbital warfare overhaul I see the repair turret again. Anyway to fix this?

Link below to the orbital warfare overhaul mod I am talking about:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/wip-server-orbital-warfare-overhaul.62878/
  16. DeathByDenim

Unfortunately, only one mod can add extra units. You basically will only see the units of the last mod that got loaded. Though I think there is a mod called HodgePodge that allows multiple unit mods to coexist, but both mods need to use it.
  17. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

According to wondible this limitation should soon be overcome.
    Engineer1234 likes this.
  18. Engineer1234

When the new PTE build(s) stabilize into a mainstream release I can look at updating the mod to support that thing DeathByDenim said.
    I'm not making any promises though, I don't really play PA anymore.
  19. austin391

austin391 New Member

I thought I may have been doing something wrong, anyways thanks for the reply guys!
  20. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Needs updating for 105067 commanders.