[REL] War Turtle

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by Engineer1234, July 25, 2015.

1. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

This thread is now redundant, new thread is in the Titans forum:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-war-turtle.69898/#post-1104337

[​IMG]

This is a mod I really made for myself, but I'm curious to see if there's any other turtly players who would like it.
    I mostly play turtle style and against AI.

When playing PA I really miss the powerful defensive options from games like Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander, I feel like in those games the defences wiped the floor with armies of the same tech level, and PA just doesn't have this level of base defences.

In vanilla PA you use your armies to attack, and to defend, because base defences suck.

What really annoyed me was the tiny range advantage of turrets vs mobile units, this meant that it's almost impossible to hold down area's with turrets because it's too easy to drive around them and stay out of range, so lets double that range.
    The firing range for laser turrets and anti-air turrets is now beyond their own range of vision, so you need radar coverage to put their full range to use.

Next units like the Inferno and Vanguard are too good at tanking turrets, but I like the balance of those units vs other units, so I doubled laser turret rate of fire, and thus DPS.
    The inferno and Vanguard are still tanky vs turrets but now the turrets are not totally useless.

Then there's artillery, which in Supreme Commander would fire clear across the map, I doubled Pelter and Holkins max range, and since their area-of-effect damage is pitiful I also made their aim perfect, left the damage as is.
    Pelter range is beyond basic radar range, and Holkins range is beyond advanced radar range, this is interesting because you can get fire support for your mobile units in the field because they serve as spotters providing target data for the artillery installations in your base, but there's no "free" shelling of the enemy base without intel, so shoot down those planes and radar sats ;)

Doubled the anti-orbital range of the Umbrella, which looks awesome, and helps keep away those pesky radar satellites that would otherwise help the enemy shell your base with those artillery pieces.

Doubled the anti-nuke range because they are expensive enough as is.

This very much changes the balance of the game, now you use your armies to TAKE area, and put down base defences to HOLD area, as it should be.

Update 2015-08-22
    Server mod version 0.008
    Client mod version 0.003

Changes:
    - Updated to be compatible with the Titans expansion, I think it should work for classic PA still too but I'm not going to make any effort supporting classic.

- Engineering Station now has a model, many many thanks to @zx0 for taking the time to teach me modeling and texturing.
    You may recognize the base of the AA turret and the nanolathe of the Advanced combat fabber, because that's what they are :D

[​IMG]

Previous version:
    Server mod version 0.007
    Client mod version 0.002

Details:
    Set area build separation to 0 for these structures, that means building them in a line now makes a tight row, all mobile units can fit in between and move through the row:

- Single laser turret
    - Double laser turret
    - Advanced triple laser turret
    - AA turret
    - Flak turret
    - Torpedo launcher
    - Advanced torpedo launcher

Double range for:

- Single laser turret (200)
    - Double laser turret (220)
    - Advanced triple laser turret (240)
    - Basic AA turret (300)
    - Advanced AA flak turret (200)
    - Torpedo launcher (400)
    - Advanced torpedo launcher (420)
    - Umbrella (anti orbital range only) (600)
    - Basic Artillery (Pelter) (also perfect aim) (520)
    - Advanced Artillery (Holkins) (also perfect aim) (1200) range is now beyond T2 ground radar btw.
    - Basic combat fabber nanolathe (80)
    - Advanced combat fabber nanolathe (150)
    - Basic AA vehicle (200)

Double rate of fire (and thus DPS) for:

- Single laser turret
    - Double laser turret
    - Advanced triple laser turret

Buff up commander:

- Give commander the max movement speed of a fabrication bot (12)
    - Ubercannon automatically fires on all targets of opportunity including aircraft, manual fire still works too.
    - Commander slowly regenerates health, not enough to really tank damage, benefits the AI the most, players are smart enough to repair their commander.
    - Commander can build every basic structure.
    - Raised commander push class to highest, so all other units get pushed aside when the commander is coming through.

Changes to storage:

- The metal storage structure now stores 10.000 instead of 20.000
    - The energy storage structure now stores 800.000 instead of 100.000
    - This is the same 80/1 energy to metal ratio basic land fabbers use and thus more intuitive, building storage makes sense in a 1:1 ratio now.
    Changes to AI:

- AI builds more fabbers and has an easier time expanding and multitask-building and assisting things because of this, at least I'm pretty sure it does
    - AI builds way more laser turrets and AA turrets, mexes will now often be defended by multiple turrets including double laser and triple laser turrets
    - This takes advantage of the buffed turrets to make AI bases more resistent to attack

Added an engineering station:

- Basically an advanced combat fabber but in turret form, range 150, auto repairs and can be given reclaim orders
    - Only repairs, does not assist with construction
    - It's as sturdy as an AA turret, so not very sturdy
    - Uses the basic AA turret model because modeling is too damn hard
    - Has a strategic icon, the laser turret icon but with a + sign
    - Has a terrible build bar icon in the utility tab above the wall, has a hotkey
    - Costs 500 metal, which might be stupidly cheap
    - Repairing uses 120 metal and 2000 energy just like the advanced combat fabber
    Last edited: August 22, 2015
    jonnyzavala and warrenkc like this.
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Contact @squishypon3 or @zx0; both have turret models that you could use for the nano-turrret.

So if you're turtling, how do you win the game? Galactic Annihilation makes similar changes to the double barrel turret (along with completely changing the others and adding in a couple of new turrets), but it has megaunits and cheaper nukes to help close out the game if you're turtling. What does this have that serves this purpose?
  3. Engineer1234

Armies for taking ground, turrets for holding it, it's in the description.
    Thanks for the model tip, I'll ask around :)
  4. jonnyzavala

jonnyzavala New Member

Really want to download the mod, but everytime I try to do so in PAMM, I get error message:

Failed to install 'com.pa.server.robintick.war_turtle'. An unexpected error occured during the mod archive extraction: Error: Corrupted zip : can't find end of central directory.

Is there an alternate way to download the mod?
  5. Engineer1234

Crap you're right, both ui and server can't install from PAMM ... come to think of it I never tested the PAMM installation.
    I'll try and get this fixed, meanwhile you can install them manually if you like, that will work.

Contents of this zip goes into C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\client_mods

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...3780&authkey=!AETLWMEZjRrQuLM&ithint=file,zip

Contents of this zip goes into C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\server_mods

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...3781&authkey=!ADo86rQzKcqWGD4&ithint=file,zip
  6. gitsumboy

gitsumboy New Member

Can you create a UI mod for this please? The link you gave is just for the Icons
  7. Engineer1234

I linked the server mod and the client mod in my previous post, if you put the contents of the zip files into the folders I mentioned then PAMM will recognize the mods and can activate them, they will work ingame.
    That's how I've been running them myself for testing and further development too.

The thing that is not working is installing them from the PAMM mod store, which is something I still need to fix but don't know how yet.
  8. gitsumboy

gitsumboy New Member

Yes I got that working it works great, pretty awesome by the way. Is there a way that I can get this to work or function inside Galactic War?
  9. Engineer1234

I was wondering about that myself, I asked around and someone said you would have to make the server mod part into a client mod, otherwise GW would not load it.
    I haven't tried it yet though, you are welcome to try :) if you get it to work I would love to know how, because I'd like to use it in GW myself too :D
  10. gitsumboy

gitsumboy New Member

Actually you can create a load out for the units and the comm's specific structure loadout, but for the value change on the defenses would probably have to be a "tech" card that specify the ability. IE Character armor with "perks".
    So I don't know how to create a load-out or a tech card for GW maybe you do? And if you do you could set the tech card to have a very high drop rate to get it in the beginning. Reference MysticalFists GW Cheats for the tech card structure and Adrianna's Butcher of Means load-out for the Comm's load-out structure/format. I believe that these have to do with Jscript documents.
  11. Engineer1234

If you want to use it in GW you could also just overwrite the gamefiles with my modded files, that's the dirty way to make it work :p
    To undo that you will have to have Steam verify and redownload your files, I do that often, takes about 2 minutes.
    I won't be making a GW mod for a while.
  12. icolinb

icolinb New Member

Any chance of updating ur mod so it works with the latest patch.
    At the moment, the game sticks at creating planets with ur mod enabled.

Regards
    Ib
  13. Engineer1234

Working on it ;)
    There is no more crashing but I have yet to figure some stuff out, adding units has changed somehow so the engineering station is ... not there.

edit-
    @icolinb update is live on PAMM.
    Last edited: August 22, 2015
    icolinb likes this.
  14. jurak

jurak Member

(wrong thread)