[REL] Team Commander Explosion Color [75330]

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by Fr33Lancer, August 11, 2014.

1. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

So, i gave it a run and it's definitly an improvement. The clouds look much less solid. It's still not exactly what i'm talking about, though.
    I do not know how exactly the effects work, so that might be the reason for the misunderstanding.

Made another comparision pic - toying around with gimp is always fun^^. What i'm talking about is mainly the somewhat orange stuff overlapping the mushroom cloud.
    Which looks weird, especially when moving the camera, since it is obviously located behind the mushroom. Not to mention it blocks the view on the nice explosion.

In the original com explosion both the blue and grey cloud/light/fog (whatever) effects actually appear below the upper part of the mushroom.

Attached Files:

Last edited: September 7, 2014
  2. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I see what you are talking about.
    To be honest, I have no idea how I could fix this particularly.

Anyway, just had a look at the vanilla explosion and I think I should make a full pass on the effect.
    For instance, on the 20 effects, 16 have the color override, it may be a bit too much.

I'm thinking about keeping the initial effect (commander overcharging / lightning) and just override the explosion + nuke smoke with color.

Should be able to make an update during the week.
    proeleert and temeter like this.
  3. Fr33Lancer

Just pushed an update, the effect should be better.
    Tell me what you think.

Not sure what I was doing wrong, but it now works correctly.
    Since it's the main ambient light, animation looks much better on dark side.
    temeter likes this.
  4. temeter

Nice! Tried it ingame, and the issues are gone!

Looks good, also it's a bit more subtle? I checked the difference between night/day. Imo it's not a big deal, the original explosion also looks less impressive in daylight. At day, the red one was basically on the same level of awesome like stock.

It's basically a stock mod for me at this point.^^
    Fr33Lancer likes this.
  5. Fr33Lancer

Yes, I tuned the different effects proportionally to their original intensity, instead of using some arbitrary value.
    Very subtle changes, but more proper work ;)
  6. temeter

It's not hard to see. The resulting explosions got somewhat less colorful, but also fits a bit better into the game's graphics style. Fair trade-off.
  7. Baleur

Baleur Member

Incredible work, i wouldnt be surprised if it becomes vanilla, like the lathe and building colors
  8. Fr33Lancer

Updated to support Orbital Comm Explosion introduced in PTE ;)
    proeleert likes this.