[REL][Server Mod] Statera Balance Mod

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by squishypon3, June 1, 2014.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

He basically means, given current if you have 3 tank factories, you usually spam 1 type of tank and a percentage of AA for it if you don't have fighters instead.

In our mod, we want 6 units each with different uses and a variety of necessity where having a single unit army is countered. Like, bot only blobs, scout it and grab some AOE or rapid units. Opposingly, armor tanks, grab something with single shot high alpha.

I am about to work on air Tuesday. I want to make a variety of air next, I unfortunately am very late considering I said I would 3 weeks ago? I am considering, low damage AOE, high damage single target, burst with ammo system, range with low damage and rate, high health for soaking AA, low health for utility used without direct confrontation, possibly some inaccurate high dps gatling AA that works well on blobs and close range slow air units, with reduction of damage on faster moving and more distant units. Also, a lot of that in turrets too, like an artillery turret variation for air.

Hopefully, this will lead to using long range aa at the edge of your base to probe their air units, fast air units to quickly rush into enemy territory, a few single strike bombers spread out instead of blobbed, a few specialty use fighters for intense one time encounters, some heavy health air to attack while soaking up ground AA or at least soak damage favorable in cost-to-health. Variety. There will be a counter to hummingbird clouds. There will be a counter to it's counter. Not just single counters. a web of counters, 1 may work on 2 or 3, may not work on 2 or 3 that another answer works on partially.

Wouldn't it be nice to encounter an enemy tank army, and instead of it having "ants and stingers", like the last build, or "ants and spinners" like now, it could have one or the other, and it might have "ants [and/or] stryders [and/or] dox [and/or] stompers [and] stingers [and/or] [I can't think of the name of gatling AA or Statera Vehicle AA]". Then, if you had an army already, and didn't scout early enough or don't have variety, your army may be bot heavy, or vehicle heavy, and if you see an ant heavy army you may already know it's disadvantage against stryders or such.
  2. thetrophysystem

Exactly that. The fact it has as many units as TA, it is basically an equivalent to everyone playing TA for the first time, and having to peck around for what a "raiding unit" is. Is it the kbot, the stumpy, the flash?

It is something descriptions really does clarify, but reading those in the heat of battle is passed over, reading is an action that consumes time without producing an APM.

With that being said, if naval, it is the sunfish and seabass, if land, its an assortment of bot depending on expected enemy composition or a vehicle or two, if air, so far it's basic t1 air units although I plan on adding more variety of specified use to air in general it will generally stay t1 air is mainly role'd for raiding.

I think that is a healthy amount of raiding. You could have made bots. Expecting AOE defence, could have made quick durable weak-attack vehicle. Could have went air and used good old fashion bumblebees. Could have late-raided a bit with a tanky unit instead, like vanguard tank combat-fab, or dragonfly with a few bomber passes maybe a combat fabber too, or a hybrid tank/bot in order to thin out counterclass like stryder while flanking and/or splitting bots from it.
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

The Kestrel really is a raiding unit actually now.
    Kestrel is a T2 gunship. Very glass cannon.
    Not to be confused with the Dragonfly, which is the opposite and is the T1 gunship.
  4. thetrophysystem

I was concerned about the price, thinking you need to clear AA to get the best use out of kestrel. Ofc, it does work as raiding if AA doesn't exist, it is fast and quick to mop up before reaction and fast to flee.

The dragonfly is the air tank, the air inferno or vanguard if you will. I will probably buff it's health, only with a pass on air and AA.
  5. stuart98

Next version will make the Uber Cannon, Uber Laser, and Uber Missile have different FX. Do people want them to be functionally different as well?
  6. archmagecarn

archmagecarn Active Member

Yes. Commander differentiation, while not necessarily WYSIWYG compliant, provides extra character to the game and allows the player to do at least a little loadout customization.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  7. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Yes, but only if I can choose which one my comm has without changing my model...
  8. stuart98

That won't be possible I'm afraid. @emraldis
    We're releasing 0.3.0 sooner than expected as some issues needed fixing. Notably, a weird regression with the vanguard has been fixed. Expect quite a few units to be imba, especially the bluehawk, the hornet, the catapult, and the thumper. Any feedback that you have would be appreciated.

Unfortunately we've met an unexpected roadblock and the unit cannon will not be in this release. Apparently Uber made it so that spawn_projectiles can't go into the orbital layer, a needed feature for the UC.
  9. thetrophysystem

Made peregrine fire 4 high damage missiles one by one, with a 30 second recharge, more health, and costs 4 regular hummingbirds.

Made commander tech laser turret, the single barrel, able to shoot land and air. Tickles both, has durable health, just an early establishment multirole turret, it doesn't kill in bulk but can assist slower turning turrets and mainly repel few-unit raids. Now it just includes air, it lightly discourages air but I don't believe it prevents a bomber from making a drop, it just simply shoots air.

Made missile tower into an Anti-Air Offensive Tower. It is anti air pelter basically. Tried giving it a flak effect on hit since it has some AOE damage. Didn't work AFAIK. This has a long range and a missile that kills t1 air and injures t2 air with a really low fire range so a heavy air enemy can be harassed with it.

Made flak more normalized, it kills hummingbirds in 4 hits but kills a significant chunk of skyswarm. Also non-prevenative AA, but definitely repels a larger "swarm" of air than anything else can, and those late game swarms can get larger than the bounds of sanity, thus it's original reason to be added to PA.

Dragonfly, more health, less damage.

I adjusted the t1 tank to at least have enough turret turn speed to match it's chasis turn speed. That means turning down it's unit turn speed, and increasing it's turret turn speed. Leveler left alone, it doesn't have to do that since it doesn't need to attack units "with ease".
  10. stuart98

Going to be messing around with orbital as a first fac. If I can get it to a satisfactory position I'll release it as a stand-alone mod.
  11. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Model I'm working on for the hover tank!

tank_hover.PNG

and the back:

tank_hover.PNG
    broadsideet and stuart98 like this.
  12. archmagecarn

archmagecarn Active Member

Is there a list of all the new units and balance changes in Statera? I know the hover tank (nice model!), but a comprehensive list would be a lot easier to check than combing the entire thread.
  13. squishypon3

Not just yet, we've done a lot of changes so it's pretty hard to keep track of. :p

I might consider making an edit to the OP listing all the changes, and slooowly adding onto it as we make more and more.
  14. stuart98

I want to get a PA-DB up as soon as I figure out how to get it to work. Basically a run the webunits.py and then go to the port on localhost, but there's nothing there. Get a "can't connect error" or some such thing.
  15. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Umm, just a question, but is the advanced vehicle factory supposed to not have a T2 fabber?
    stuart98 and thetrophysystem like this.
  16. stuart98

Nice catch. Forgot that the advanced vehicle fabber wasn't unit 0 so I put two units in the #4 slot. Also explains why the AI could still build them.

I'll have a new version up ASAP.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  17. squishypon3

When we're a bit more satisfied with the roster we really need to go in there an pretty it up a bit, fabbers NEED to be on the left. Just by necessity. :p
    stuart98 likes this.
  18. stuart98

Sorry it took so long, but 0.3.1 is now live. Included is the first stage of an air overhaul being made by @thetrophysystem. Dragonflies and peregrines were buffed quite a bit, so feedback on them is appreciated. Other units changed that need testing are the T1 air defense tower, the T2 flak cannon, the single laser defense tower, and the ant YOLO.

I'm also messing around with the holkins Lobber. Test it out. Is it UP? OP?
  19. thetrophysystem

To be specific, the t1 air defense tower is now the single laser turret. T1.5 is missile tower now repurposed for long range anti air A LA pelter, T2 is flak and while the damage is normal the splash is not and these do worse against single air there is no single anti air besides the narwahl more necesary for late game blobs.

There is more I want to do, but there is so much already done, I am looking for what I can change without using something else already existing.

Oh, and I am working on decoy commanders.

Oh, and stuart wants to get an early start on "gas giants" in a way. He was discussing with me, what if Orbital was t1, but the kicker is, it was sustainable to make a full on base in orbit. I told him that would be a LOT of work.
    Last edited: July 1, 2014
  20. christer1966

christer1966 Member

Hello.
    Is it possible for someone to direct me on how to install this mod as it is my first time using a mod for PA. This mod looks really good and I would love to play it and would be very grateful if someone could help me install it.
    Thankyou very much.
    stuart98 likes this.