[REL] [SERVER] [LOBBY] [LIVE GAME] Unit Selector

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by mikeyh, January 11, 2015.

1. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

Thanks.
    stuart98 likes this.
  2. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

-=PROBLEM FOUND!(not shour if it was fixed or not)=- a larg number of people can not load a game when this mod is on they disconnect then evncholey there coms explode
  3. mikeyh

Should be fixed in 1.0.1 on PAMM... it was actually players who did not have the PA Mod Manager (PAMM) installed.

Server Mod Developers: Do not assume that scenes in scene_mod_list exist when PAMM is not installed (and test on clean systems) :)
    stuart98 likes this.
  4. mikeyh

Final test was hosting a fabbers only game with no attack or defence units.

Only way to attack was by reclaiming :)
    stuart98, jonasmod and DeathByDenim like this.
  5. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

is it possible to set different techs per team?
    stuart98 likes this.
  6. mikeyh

Yes... could be extended easily to per army (team or individual FFA player). The user interface requires more effort.
    eg you could handicap a player or team.

I've also looked at timed options. eg disable T2 for 15 minutes.

The current approach doesn't modify any unit specs except for the build list. Changing specs requires more work to test the interaction with the engine.
    stuart98 likes this.
  7. reptarking

I am going to use this mod for an event im in the works on involving teams, if possible making it team limiting would be amazing, it would not be starting for another month though :D if you need testers at all i am always free
    stuart98 likes this.
  8. mikeyh

I'll be able to make another pass in a week or so after I finish another project.

What do you think the user interface needs to be?

Quick and dirty user interface changes would be:
    • duplicate current user interface for each army for host
    • show only disabled units to players (was going to make this change anyway) and group by army
  9. reptarking

could you have it show whats disabled for each army, and then for interface id think just a selector about which army your deciding tech for.
    stuart98 likes this.
  10. mikeyh

• host can select disabled units for all players and/or each army (team or FFA player)
    • players see any disabled units for all players and/or each army
    reptarking likes this.
  11. reptarking

12. mikeyh

@cola_colin

After a lot of testing it seems there is no way to inject properties into the json of any internal server messages like:
    • change_settings
    • modify_army
    I suspect these are mapped to statically typed objects in the engine as any additional fields in the json are lost or the entire message is dropped. Custom message types also seem to be dropped.

A server mod can intercept and send json objects as chat messages for communication with players which would eliminate the need for polling an external server.

I'll be including id: com.pa.mikeyh.gUnitSelector in all json chat messages to avoid any future conflicts with other mods.

I still haven't found a clean way to pass info to the live game other than via local storage or an external server.

It would be great if there was an Uber way for server mods to send custom messages with json payloads to players.
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

My first ideas would have been:
    - Custom chat messages that are hidden from the players
    - Using the "description" text of the system. That has to be freetext and I doubt anybody would be sad if it is modified.
  14. mikeyh

Unit Selector 2.0 is now available on PAMM with the following:
    • disable units for specific armies (FFA players or team)
    • fix for T1 naval factory selecting T2 naval factory
    • added PTE 77202 subs
    • uses custom json encoded chat messages to send data to players (no external server polling)
    Last edited: January 24, 2015
    stawos likes this.
  15. mikeyh

Unit Selector 2.0.3 is now on PAMM with the following under the hood changes:
    • reverted back to creatorUberId, gameHostname and gamePort (must have been asleep at the wheel when I changed to lobbyId in 2.0 as they don't exist for local / private servers)
    • moved playerArmyIndex into server data and out of local storage (avoid conflicts when running multiple copies of PA on the same setup)
  16. exodusesports

exodusesports Well-Known Member

17. mikeyh

Thanks. You might need to add a note that units cannot be disabled for the AI.

I'm updating the description in 2.0.4:

18. mikeyh

Unit Selector 2.0.4 adds the following:
    • Phoenix Advanced Fighter (PTE)
    • better host user interface to prevent overlaps with units disabled for specific armies and all players
    Units disabled for all players are not selectable for armies and if a unit is disabled for all players it is removed from armies.
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  19. mikeyh

Unit Selector 2.0.7 now uses the PA Server Mod Manager in the latest PAMM update and can co-exist with Display Rank and other mods using server mod scenes.
  20. spiders397

spiders397 New Member

Hey. I tried to play a match with my friend using this mod. Disabling everything but T1 bots and orbital.
    In-game, I (as the host) had everything disabled like I wanted, but my friend still had everything unlocked.
    While creating the game I refreshed it using F5 like you said, but, as stated above, it didn't work for my friend.
    What did I do wrong?