[REL]Possible Fix for blackscreen issues

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by cola_colin, February 22, 2014.

1. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

with 63180 and mods (that still work) i again have blackscreens also with this mod^^
  2. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

That's normal cause blackscreen fix mod is broken right now :)
  3. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

I just updated this for 63180
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

what about the font changing to something else? can this be removed?
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

probably. but not worth the time.
  6. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

I think it would be worth considering that mods should fix themselves and use inline styles, rather than rely on this mod to break the stylesheet system.

The brokenness of mods being an accepted and unspoken 'feature' is causing bug reports.
  7. cola_colin

I can't follow. This mod here has not much to do with js errors that breaking mods on patches sometimes create.
    Also I disagree that inline styles are the way to go. We need a working way to add full css files. As far as I understand this fix here has caused nearly none issues so far. Also I do not think it breaks the stylesheet system. It loads css in a different way, but this different way can be seen as just as valid.
  8. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

An alternate solution would be for mods that use stylesheets to designate this mod as 'required' in PAMM. Even though it's a common problem, no one is accepting responsibility for it or documenting it for new mod users. Every time I see someone reporting a black screen in the Issues & Bugs forum, it's a problem.
  9. cola_colin

I think the issue described in the thread you linked is not a broken css load, but rather a completely broken mod, most likely commander hp.

EDIT:
    Also the blackscreens ARE a bug that should be reported. The mods just use the default modding system that is provided by PA and that system seems to have a bug with css files. So it's completely okay for people to report that bug so Uber gets to see that it is a relevant issue.
  10. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Yep it's commander hp.
  11. dfanz0r

dfanz0r Active Member

So looking through the pa ui files. Some are encoded utf-8 and some are utf-8 with BOM.

So this gave me an idea:

I wonder if this could be effecting the rate of blackscreens. Someone should try to convert all of the ui files to use utf-8(no bom) and see if it has any effect on blackscreens.
  12. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Manually entering model.holodeck.update() in the debugger will fix the blackscreen, but I haven't gone in and figured out when to automatically run it yet.

My theory is that file loading delays page layout, so the holodeck doesn't get the screen dimensions when it looks.
    proeleert and cola_colin like this.
  13. cola_colin

Updated the blackscreenfix to use the new method wondible found. This means it will be much more resilient against patches.
  14. wondible

wondible Post Master General

15. cola_colin

Hmm possible. Guess people need to deinstall > reinstall. That's what I did for some other reasons, so I never noticed the shadow issue.