[REL] KO Deferred or: lightspeed UI ahead

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by cola_colin, March 27, 2014.

1. yigitusta9

yigitusta9 New Member

hello im pretty new to this game and have the ui lag, and i gotta install dis. BUT HOW DO I INSTALL DIS? please someone help
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

3. yigitusta9

yigitusta9 New Member

ah found it, installed it, and almost no difference with the steam version, ima try non steam now
  4. cola_colin

Since the gw there is some huge UI lag that is unrelated to ko deferred, so you might not find any difference.
    To see if ko deferred works select a huge group of engineers. If it reacts super fast and builds up the buildbar in an instant ko deferred works.
  5. yigitusta9

yigitusta9 New Member

i dont have any problems with the unit selection but this building selection lag drives me mad
  6. cola_colin

Never saw any building selection lag. Dunno. The current build is sort of horrible in terms of UI lag and it seems to be lag that we cannot do much about. Still having ko deferred installed should help with some cases. :S
  7. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

I kind of noticed, playing GW, that the lags I had, despite the game between 5-8 minutes (so no issue with numbers of unit) occurred mostly when I was attacking the AIs, ie steam roll them and their bases' buildings started to explode. That's when I had delayed camera rotations, difficult selection of attacking units to get them a new direction, etc.
    It didn't happen before the GW builds, and since the lags looked like pre-ko deferred mod ones, it was easy to jump on the gun.
    cola_colin likes this.
  8. cola_colin

Actually the lag does not look like pre ko def ones at all imho :p It is worse, hits other UI parts and more important: Not as "reliable" Your explosions thing may be a good idea. I tried to reproduce the lag in a vs sandbox AI game by building 3k skitters. No lag. At all. No explosions as well though. So that may be it.
  9. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I just played a game and UI seemed fine to me with KO deferred on.
    reptarking likes this.
  10. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

Yep, I just played some galactic war with this and the UI performance seemed great.
  11. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Colin - I had a discussion with @metabolical yesterday after the latest tourney. He mentioned that they made some changes to how the UI refreshes and presents information. Mainly, they divided it into areas, so the entire UI doesn't have to be refreshed all the time. Great for performance, sure, but bad for KO deferred. WrongCat and Marshall were both with me and may or may not be able to provide more details. You can always ask meta himself if you have questions.

I say this because KO Deferred is installed as a mod for me, and it isn't working at all. My UI lag is down to prehistoric levels. :(
  12. cola_colin

Oh I know of that issue, I also have a good understand of what they did, and I know how to fix it for ko def as well. I've just not been active with PA in the past few weeks, so I didn't do anything so far. I think I'll make the required changes within the next few hours, I am feeling like it.

EDIT: Okay here's the deal:
    There should be a file

C:\Users\ColaColin\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\mods\kodef\ui\main\shared\js\thirdparty\knockout-2.2.1.js

Currently it does this in line 90:

if (window.location.href.indexOf('live_game.html') != -1) {

make it do this instead:

if (window.location.href.indexOf('live_game') != -1) { // just look for everything live_game.

this should enable ko def for all live_game parts.
    I have only done a very quick test, it at least seems not to break everything completely. Though my hotbuild wasn't active so I tried only the default hotkeys and they did show weird behavior. Dunno.
    So test it and once you confirm it works (with hotbuild at least? Dunno if my hotkey issue just now even had something to do with all this...) okay, I'll update the mod on pamm.
    Last edited: June 22, 2014
  13. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Just saw you post. Maybe quote me next time.....? :D

Gonna do this now. I'll edit this post on my results.

EDIT: UI lag has decreased for sure, but it is nowhere near what it was before the second or third GW patch.

I've discovered a few bugs that I was experiencing unrelated to the lag. WC, I know you are reading this (;)), I'll record some footage later to send your way.
    Last edited: June 25, 2014
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  14. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

is it usefull still?
  15. cola_colin

No idea
  16. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Without this I was still getting some ui lag in at least one case. I was getting the problem where clicking to move the camera would stick on and keep moving it for a little too long. KO deferred seems to be less important now for a lot of UI lag issues but still solves this one.
    reptarking likes this.
  17. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Hmm I tought I read somewhere that they include it by default... Could be wrong.
  18. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

This mod appears to prevent the use of the shift key in hotkeys. Trying to bring up team chat (shift+enter) only registers the enter key.
    reptarking likes this.
  19. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Is this thing still needed/useful?
  20. cola_colin

no idea