[REL] KO Deferred or: lightspeed UI ahead

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by cola_colin, March 27, 2014.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I have not seen anything about that, so I don't think so.
  2. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Well if the devs are reading this, just merge it. We've had this mod for almost two months now and nobody has had a problem.
  3. cola_colin

But be careful to note that the mod in fact does apply a few hacky fixes to make live_game completely work with it.
    Applying those from inside the live_game code directly is much easier anyway.
  4. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

Has the new build included this as a patch, KO is mentioned in recent updates.
  5. cptconundrum

KO stands for knockout.js, which has been in pa from the start. KO deferred is a mod for it that changes how it works to make it more responsive. I'm not sure the mod works now though. I am getting really bad input lag again.
    totalannihilation likes this.
  6. cola_colin

It does work. If you want to validate if it does check out the debugger:

1.) It logs that it is loaded in live_game, one of the very first log lines
    2.) You can do ko.computed.deferUpdates = false/true like I do in the video to disable/enable the deferred handling. At least I was able to see quite a difference. I think the reason why some people think it feels slower is because it IS generally slower. The fancy new buildbar probably is rather expensive cpu wise.
  7. SikkeSakke

SikkeSakke Member

Played couple of GW's and UI lagged a lot. Tried this mod and I think it was slightly better, thought lag was still pretty massive. Need to do another match soon and hopefully I need to hunt down AI-commie from another planet so there's craploads of units in field.
  8. cola_colin

This can obviously not fix all lag of all sorts and the UI in GW may be even slower than in normal games. Dunno.
  9. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

While looking at the new build bar in order for me to fix my mod, every little square uses a crap ton of KO that eats up CPU like you wouldn't believe.
    wondible and cptconundrum like this.
  10. cptconundrum

If Uber doesn't fix it we'll probably just need to burn it all down and start over with a mod.
    totalannihilation and reptarking like this.
  11. cola_colin

I did not play that much, but I had no real issues while playing that one vs AI game. It was a tad bit slower than before, but still better than before using ko deferred in the old version of pa
  12. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I have had KO deferred installed this entire time, and since the new patch I get occasional lag spikes where I cannot select or anything like before. Really annoying, but I guess it cannot be helped. :)
  13. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Please update this mod, the UI lag in the new build is really bad, the drag box too select units, is sometimes a nightmare.
  14. cola_colin

This mod is fine and works as intended as far as I can tell. Will do one more test to confirm.
  15. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

I feel the same laggyness, since GW was released, than before using this mod.
    The more the game goes by, the worst it gets (I guess because handling more units), with painful selection of units, UI lags, (known symptoms), to the most annoying thing being camera rotation being delayed / fuzzy (this one I hadn't before).

It's like the mod has no effect (same if disabled or not)
  16. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Certainly there are areas, like in the lobby, where sounds have been added that seem a lot laggier.
    reptarking likes this.
  17. cola_colin

Made another test in a non GW game. The mod still has quite the effect on my "select 50+ workers and make a turret" test case. It's maybe a little slower than before, but nothing major. Whatever lag you are seeing has to be somewhere else.
    Also it seemed like with ko deferred sometimes the default hotkeys would not show on the build bar. Maybe that's caused by another mod though, could not really reproduce and the bindings for the hotkeys use knockout, so they should be fine.

I did not make a 500+ units game though. Only ~50 workers and selected them, because that is what ko deferred makes much better: Complex UI things like reconstructing the build bar for every little change in your selection. It's quite possible later in the game other things lag the game. They don't have to be UI related. The UI just may be the vicitim here.
  18. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

I don't really mean to hijack this thread but it is kind of related. In my mod better build bar I shadow live_game.html and remove the KO to put in the blank boxes, do you think that doing that helps performance at all?
  19. cola_colin

No idea what you did exactly. But removing large KO parts and replace them with nothing sure will reduce cpu load for the UI. Same as with ko deferred that may not actually help if the lag is caused in other parts of the game.
  20. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't know if you looked or not but for every tiny little square in the build bar it does two KO if statements per square, if I remember correctly in the build bar alone there are 96 KO operations when you select any construction unit but by using my mod it reduces it to probably less than half of that