[REL] [CLIENT] [LOBBY] [LIVE GAME] Faster Server Browser for Titans & Classic

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by mikeyh, September 9, 2014.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

@jables

So hopefully next year this is gonna be fixed. :s
    Bsport, proeleert and Jackbandanna like this.
  2. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

Faster Server Browser will be back soon after some testing against the latest build and various mods.
    Quitch, Remy561, Jackbandanna and 3 others like this.
  3. cola_colin

I've looked at this and was about to write my own solution, guess I cancel that :D.
    I think you should do some filtering on the json blob within "TitleData". There are some full map definitions in there. Completely useless waste of a LOT of bytes.
  4. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

PA IS SAVED!
    Remy561 likes this.
  5. mikeyh

Yep... was just looking at that and your server browser patches for custom servers.

I'll start with a light version that patches the following:
    • updateServerData
    • processGameBeacon (will need to work around your patch)
  6. cola_colin

Hmm I don't think we had that many conflicts. It was just something wrong with the version number of the games somewhere, my own hack around I described here wasn't very complex EDIT 2/3 here:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rip-faster-server-browser-mod.63947/page-3#post-1016879
    The only problem was that you had some weird thing going on with the version number. No big issue?

I guess a fix for the data amount that cuts away useless TitleData parts and adds gzip would probably reduce the amount of data by a factor of 20 or more xD
  7. mikeyh

There was the version number, encoding and two patch points with PA Stats.

All the other code for reconnects and return to server browser is gone for now.

Updated version will support the following:
    • filtered feed
    • updates to currently selected game
    • starting planets
    I had a quick look at adding player ladder rank into the feed and https://palobby.com/ but it looks like Uber really don't want anyone querying that data at this time.

Does anyone know the URL and authorisation required for /MatchMaking/GetPlayerRating?
    Remy561 and cola_colin like this.
  8. Jackbandanna

Jackbandanna Active Member

[​IMG]
    stuart98, Remy561 and killerkiwijuice like this.
  9. cola_colin

Such a call exists? I thought the only call for that was like "give me the rank of the logged in player".
  10. mikeyh

Not sure.... only started looking late last night to see what was being called.

Looks like Uber have improved security. eg ssl certificate validation, pa code modification checks, etc.
  11. cola_colin

Hmm not that I know of. I just dug up some old js code to interact with ubernet to experiment with the server browser stuff I wrote many month ago and it still worked perfectly.
  12. mikeyh

I'm now seeing SSL certificate checks (limiting mitm SSL proxying of engine calls for player data) and verification for pa executable code changes on OS X. ie engine stuff.

Might have to boot into windows later tonight.
  13. cola_colin

From what I know PA always had the certificate for the SSL communication in a folder called nomod and probably always used that for certificate verification. So players can replace that certificate to mitm themselves. Is what I thought at least...
    Once -many month ago- it even ended up outdated and that caused issues, so I thought it always verified that.
    I don't think any of these things pose any issue to modding in any way at all though.
  14. mikeyh

The SSL verification failure was actually a 32 bit year 2038 issue with an auto generated mitm SSL CA cert expiry after 19th January 2038.
    cola_colin likes this.
  15. mikeyh

Here's the modinfo.json if you want to manually test Faster Server Browser 2.0:
    https://dfpsrd4q7p23m.cloudfront.net/mods/gFasterServerBrowser/modinfo.json

Trimmed down code only patches updateServerData in server_browser.js (no processGameBeacon):
    • max gzipped filtered feed for missing TitleData, empty system, old games, etc: https://dfpsrd4q7p23m.cloudfront.net/ajax/games/
    • live updates of selected game details
    • starting planet icons
    • connect fail returns to lobby server browser
    • ignores failed to retrieve game list errors
    • no build check
    • hopefully no conflicts
    Code is here:
    https://dfpsrd4q7p23m.cloudfront.ne...i/mods/gFasterServerBrowser/server_browser.js
  16. cola_colin

hmm looking at it there is still planet csg data in there. I guess cutting that away would further help? Potentially quite a lot actually, as nearly all data I see is map data xD
    Or is that actually required for something? I was under the impression it's not used at all.

EDIT:
    looking at the code you are blindly overwriting some handlers, that would be bad if other mods would like to change those handlers as well. I guess you want to do changes that somehow go too deep so you can't just hook into the handler instead somehow?
    I'd set the priority of the mod to something like 10 or so. You want to load before any other mod at least.
  17. mikeyh

Still looking at that... need to test some custom maps.
    cola_colin likes this.
  18. mikeyh

That last slot defect is still around... did anyone try to fix that?
  19. mikeyh

Looks like planet source can be safely removed based on my testing with the hot platforms custom map.
  20. cola_colin

Yeah that makes sense. I don't think the server browser ever even does anything with that data and once you join the lobby it directly gets the map from the server, not from the list of games.