[REL] Alerts Minimap

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by cola_colin, September 27, 2014.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

not right now.
    I guess for testing like that I guess you can use the debugger to either remove the minimap or reduce it's z-index.
    Or increase the z-index of that cheat UI.
  2. frostyrootbeer

frostyrootbeer New Member

this mod, I have no idea why...causes my chrono cam immediately after a match to not load the UI 80% of the time. I turned off all mods and turned them on one at a time and went through the paces to find the mod causing this.
    cola_colin likes this.
  3. stawos

stawos Member

Can't install this through pamm because of circular dependency. Client requires server and server requires client.
    cola_colin likes this.
  4. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Hmm yeah, I get this too. Havnt narrowed it down to this mod. But it is one of 3 mods that I use.
    cola_colin likes this.
  5. cola_colin

this is interesting. I don't get this. I also do not do anything directly that would cause that.
    That "chronocam fails to load sometimes" bug has been ar0und before people alertsminimap I think. Maybe the bug is made worse by the mod? I'll try to recreate it a bit, but I've never suffered from that bug.

wtf
    the circular dependency is intended and works fine on pamm as far as I know?
    @Mereth
    @raevn
    ?
  6. stawos

stawos Member

it worked after I closed and restarted PAMM, but it was kicking out error messages about the dependency
  7. crystalinefox

crystalinefox New Member

Is there a toggle button?
  8. cola_colin

To hide/show it?
    No. Would not be hard to add though
  9. stylisticsagittarius

stylisticsagittarius Active Member

I love your mod!

However i have 2 problems with it...
    1- you can see all the spawn locations wich is a bit cheaty (especially 1v1 maps)

2-Who are your own buildings orange and the background brown?
    This is very unclear and i know you can send them to white but with many planets it will take some time...
    Also if an enemy base is in radar display it wont stay on your minimaps, only new units or attacking units show up.

But i love the way the alert camera can let u look very good at everything thats going on!

p.s. since u already dealt with the alert camera can you create a mod where the alerts Always show the minimap to alerts instead of only when you hold your mouse above it? I know i can use the pip for that but i'd rather use the pip to keep an eye on any orbital movement.

U,ve done a great job anyway thanks!
  10. cola_colin

1.) It is as much cheating as having a look at the map before playing: none. You are just better prepared than your opponent. Especially in competitive 1vs1 play all good players will know the spawns anyway. In fact due to symmetrical maps being played even if you are put on an unknown map you will be able to find all spawns directly.

2.) I don't fully understand. You want buildings to be white? I can clearly make out orange on brown.
    And yes only new units show up. I would LOVE to show more details, but what I am showing is all I can get from the alerts. I could show a bit more, but then you would have high risks of "wrong" dots after a while.

p.s. technically possible for sure.
  11. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I suggest making allied units blue on the minimap and enemy units red, ignoring army color outright.
  12. cola_colin

I ignore army colors. Blue would be close to invisible on top of water.
    I have:
    land: brown
    sea: blue
    mex: green

Also destruction warnings are red, blinking
    Spotted enemies are black, blinking
    Your own structures are orange.
  13. stylisticsagittarius

Then i understand, personnaly i don't give about what type of terrain the minimap displays. I just ment that if i want the minimaps clear i set the geo slider to zero so the background of each minimap will be completely white thus making the orange more visible to me. However playing on a lot of planets make this a time robbing job.

p.s. if ud ever built a mod that would Always show camera on alerts let me know ;)
  14. stylisticsagittarius

p.s. i have the idee that while this mod is enabled there is Always a change that replay afterworts (not chronoca ingame) don't work, also found out that when this occurs the replay won't show up in the replays menu either.
  15. cola_colin

This mod is very far away from how replays work. I find it to be very unlikely to be related to replays at all. The replay system in itself isn't very reliable, mod enabled or not.
  16. cola_colin

updated the mod with config for all updated (also the new one) ranked maps as well as most other uber maps, as the random mex placement was changed in the meantime.
  17. cola_colin

I've not given up on showing unit positions and now resorted to looking into what may be possible via memory level access. This is nowhere near something that can be released, but it looks cool enough to make me try more. Ultimately I am thinking about ways to let the minimap interact with the zoom level. So the idea is that when you zoom out the minimap is shown above the planet and you can see the whole planet with unit icons moving on it and then zoom in on a location you want to go.
    To make that possible I'll however need to figure out how the client holds this data, currently I am reading the unit locations from something that I think is called "SimUnit" and that seems to only reflect the current state of the simulation. I'd like to get the data from the client instead, but the client has optimizations in place that make that harder, as it doesn't update unit positions as much as I would like it to. I guess a hack around that may be to open small pips that basically make the client think the player can see everything at all times. Cause who needs performance anyway...

The UI gets the data from a webservice that is queried 10 times per second that is provided by a java application that uses jna to access the memory of server.exe to read the positions of units. All I can find so far is the unit location and the unit id. I use the information I get from alerts too figure out what kind of unit is hidden behind a unit id.
    Last edited: March 31, 2015
    zx0 likes this.
  18. cola_colin

[​IMG]
    proeleert, killerkiwijuice and zx0 like this.
  19. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

And you chose to demo it with brown on brown?
    proeleert and killerkiwijuice like this.
  20. cola_colin

Random things are random. I realized that was kinda hard to see. For some reason I keep getting brown.
    In that screen the colors were fixed to whatever color I happened to have when I copy pasted the color string. By now the icons react to the army colors and they also turn white when the unit is selected. Just like the normal icons.