[REL] Alerts Minimap

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by cola_colin, September 27, 2014.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

updated for new ranked maps.

Also: The mapping is so fine it finds pathable areas that I never thought would be pathable.
    [​IMG]

:D
    Schulti likes this.
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

cola_colin likes this.
  3. foxzorz

foxzorz New Member

This is really cool cola_colin, with this projection I think having a 'screen' rectangle on the minimap and maybe making the terrain colours relate directly to the planet's colouring would make this really great, though I understand the screen rectangle situation may not be currently possible.

Keeping track of pings and such across multiple planets is a cool problem to solve, I think you are on the right track :D
  4. cola_colin

Yeah there is more stuff that "can" be done, I'd really love to:

- show the current viewport. Possible only via accessing the memory of the client.
    - showing a more detailed terrain image. Possible by mapping out the planets in a much more complex way which includes taking screenshots.
    - showing the location of units. Possibly only via accessing the memory of the server I think. Maybe also by access the client, but I've searched a lot and the client does not even seem to have all up to date locations for units you are not actually looking at.

Though that's my current state of "possibility". Never 100% on those. But I just can't think of a way to get unit positions without heavily interfering with the player.

So I'd love some API to at:

a) get the current camera position
    b) query the position of all current units. I guess getting them once per second would already be super awesome, no need for super high data rates.

I guess if I had a as a "give me the camera location of this pip" I could hack b by doing the "move to world location" in reverse, but really I'd like a real b as well for performance reasons ;)
    Last edited: November 27, 2014
  5. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

really good mod! :) it's a pity we cant have it for random planets (yet)
  6. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

and so much to "minimaps are not helpful"
  7. valentinmetz

valentinmetz New Member

Would it be possible, to create a Mod, that does show you the Icons of detected enemy buildings, after you have spotted them, and the fog of war is there again, so you do still see the icon of a Metalextractor after you flew over it ?
  8. cola_colin

in the game world? not at all, there is no way to display additional stuff in the 3d world.
    on the minimap? Yes it could display dots for scouted enemy buildings, BUT if they are destroyed while you are not watching, they will stay on the minimap.
  9. valentinmetz

valentinmetz New Member

For 1v1 Matches it would be quite helpful.
    (Normally Buildings don't disappear in 1v1s)
  10. cola_colin

Hmm yeah true. Might make it an option.
  11. cola_colin

Released GeoMapper Client and Server to pamm. You can map planets now by loading those mods (only load them for this purpose) and enter a command into chat. Note that you will still need a slightly modified offline server if you want your mapping to contain all possible spawns.

Maps are stored inside your PA.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  12. frostyrootbeer

frostyrootbeer New Member

don't know if you fixed this this patch yet, but when a Haley or moon engine is built the mini map duplicates itself with each one made until it covers my screen
    cola_colin likes this.
  13. cola_colin

lol
    Sorry. I never tested with that kind of building. Expect a fix within the next 2-3 days.
    I guess building those triggers an event I assumed would only be triggered once.
  14. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

i love this mod!
    cola_colin likes this.
  15. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

are there any plains to have the mini map to work for all planets with no editing on the players side?
  16. cola_colin

The GeoMapper mod can add new planets without any coding, if you can accept incomplete spawn markers.
    With very little modification of your local server you can get all spawns as well.
    I don't think I can go any better than this without extra APIs from Uber.
  17. wondible

wondible Post Master General

One of these days I'll get around to a PR to show relative positions on unknown planets.
  18. cola_colin

no idea what you mean by that
  19. cola_colin

Released an update that should fix this. If a planet is destroyed the respective minimap will now be removed instead.

Additionally I found that apparently 500+ people installed alerts minimap, but only 4 installed the mod to map out planets themselves, so as a service for all those lazy people I additionally included a premade configuration for:
    - all predefined Uber maps, ofc including all ranked maps, but even the other, bigger ones.
    - all maps from Gandals Mappack
    - all maps from the exodus 12 something tournament mappack.

All these maps will directly show a preconfigured minimap that is ready to play.
    proeleert likes this.
  20. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

The mod covers the UI for the select player control and select player vision cheats. Would you add a button to hide the minimap so that this can be avoided when testing on maps like Prof X or the ranked maps?