Regular, Alpha, and Progenitor Commanders

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by nactsuht, October 14, 2012.

1. hunterx

hunterx New Member

The only issue I can see is where the backer commanders are just reskins of the primary commander, but other (publicly available) commanders have different stats to the regular commander. The situation would then end up reversed, in which backers are the ones deprived of gameplay benefits if they want to use their exclusive commanders.

Best option would be to have the backer commanders as a sort of layer on top of the gameplay loadouts, perhaps in a system where you choose a chassis from the backer/public commander list and then outfit it with various publicly available components to customize it gameplay-wise, completely eliminating the issue of choosing between aesthetics and gameplay (something I have found annoying in a number of games).
  2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Or maybe there could be a whole logic to the system that hasn't been revealed yet ;)
  3. sabetwolf

sabetwolf Member

Damn you and your vagueness Neutrino!!! :lol:
  4. Consili

Consili Member

Looks like the sleeping beast awakened.
  5. 2Ben

2Ben New Member

Not sure if the idea was alresdy suggested in the looong threasds on the topic, but here's my two cents:

Why not make the special commanders available only if there is at least one backer in the game ? Meaning, as a backer you and the people playing with (or against) you have access to the special stuff, so no imbalance when playing against a backer, and still a nice VIP feeling for backers. Plus it would be trivial to implement.
  6. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

well what ever it is, I guess many people can't wait to see it (meant in more than one way)
  7. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

Because it would mean your backer stuff would only be usable in a rare few matches, and the more popular the game gets, the less you get to show off that you supported it at conception.

There are only a handful of backers compared to what I'm guessing Uber is hoping to sell in total. I would be kinda annoyed if I could only use my cool early-order commander once in every 50 games (or less) and then only against people who also have one. Kinda defeats the purpose of having something special.
  8. doushibag

doushibag New Member

Well, the simple solution would be to choose your commander and then choose your skin so they're independent. Problem solved. The only real downside to that would be you'd not be able to tell which commander you'd chosen. But so long as everyone had a secondary skin option of some kind then it wouldn't matter (as then everyone would have a way to hide their choice). The Kickstarter backers would just have additional skin options.
  9. dude86

dude86 Member

This is typically one of those subjects where people are very scared for bad balance.

I have full confidence in the Devs to implement minor differences without making the special commanders OP. It is no different than with the different commanders of the races in FA.

I have to say that some people post real strong statements here even though there is no real information about how this will be implemented.

If the commanders just have different skins that is fine with me as well.
  10. Consili

Consili Member

One of the core design ethos that Uber seem to be going with is having high visibility and readability within the game. The simplified stylistic visual design and stating they do not want to have a supreme commander 2 style research point driven tech tree is evidence of this.

Regardless of how they balance or implement founder commander abilities (To be clear I do think Uber are capable of doing this) I don’t think it is a good idea to obscure readability of a unit’s capabilities by having appearance independent of the function. It removes the opponent’s ability to read and react or scout and prepare. I realise that it is just one unit (albeit an important one) but it is the element of randomness that I disagree with principally. Balanced abilities are fine by me, but not being able to tell what those abilities are by looking at the unit? That is bad design.
  11. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could choose what goes on your commander's arms? You could have two nanolathes for increased building ability, two guns for increased firepower, perhaps even an AA gun or some other interesting ability.

Of course two nanolathes does raise the question of how you build your first building, but I'm sure there are creative ways to get around that.
  12. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

The only customization a commander needs is a gentlemanly hat and classy monocle.
  13. KNight

KNight Post Master General

AN THUS IT WAS SO!

[​IMG]

Mike
  14. Consili

Consili Member

I concur.

[Edit] Hahaha awesome stuff Orangeknight
  15. elexis

elexis Member