Regarding unit 'voices'

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by burlayz, September 3, 2012.

1. bubba41102

bubba41102 Member

i like the thing they do in sc2 shing a closeup of their face and if you click them or move them they speak but if you click the without doing anything else for awhile they will say some funny gag
  2. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

That works in a game where individual units get a personality because of their tactical value. The only similar unit in PA is the commander, and he's a robot.
  3. meltedcandles

meltedcandles Member

and that is why the only sounds from the units are machinery! no need to speak when you can wordlessly give orders via TYPING!
  4. hearmyvoice

hearmyvoice Active Member

They don't need voices, they are just shallow war machines... right? Because nobody would ever design their robots so that they have voices...

I've never seen a movie where humanoid robot / intelligent robot didn't have a voice.

Most people seem to activate their defense mechanisms against the voice idea but I think if it's done correctly, it would be really nice addition.

Not saying they should speak English or that their voice would anyhow resemble human voices. Duh, OF COURSE NOT.
  5. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

So you're saying that robots should speak with a language that's appropriate to robots? That makes sense. It also makes sense that robots communicate on a medium that makes sense. Compression waves through matter is not an appropriate medium. Ultimately that, despite all the communicating that they may do, robots don't speak at all.

Also, I've never seen a humanoid robot exist in a movie/game without humanoids. There's no humanoids in PA.
  6. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

You need to ask the question of why it would be good.

having the units make simple mechanical noises as their sounds (like select, move, etc.) works with the disposable nature of these units. then while the commander is not a disposable unit giving just him a voice would make him stand out compared to everything else, and not in a good way as he would not necessarily seem like a unit in the game, more a UI function or alarm or any other part of the game that is voice (so not a unit).

Giving all the units voice might make things a little cooler for some people, its a subjective thing as to which you prefer at the end of the day. for all that you need to write lines, get voice actors, do recordings, edit those recordings, its a lot of effort and money for something that is really wont add anything to the game for the majority of people (and for those who aren't ambivalent, the voices detract instead of add).

things like sing, though are a bit of fun, and fun doesn't hurt anyone in this instance.
  7. hearmyvoice

hearmyvoice Active Member

I never said it would make sense to have robots speaking. I said it feels shallow when they don't speak, at least for me. The movie example was just an example to show that people often tend to give robots characteristic that don't make sense, because everything doesn't necessarily have to make sense.

Maybe those robots have a voice to communicate with others than robots? It could be an useful ability sometimes, even for such war machines. At least for units like Commander.
  8. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

I'm all for units having beep boop sounds on selection , but why would robots need to communicate by voice? It could be easily drowned out by the sounds of battle and something like radio would be much more logical.
  9. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Why would units communicate by radio? It's slow and ruined by all the electromagnetic fury of a thousand robots fighting on the field.

Quantum entanglement is the way to go.
  10. movra

movra Member

My bots will communicate with smoke signals.

[​IMG]
  11. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

That form of communication is universal.
  12. anora

anora New Member

Why not use the voices of some of the higher tier kicksters if there willing, simple lines that then be edited to sound in a specific way by your sound guy.
  13. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Because normal people are really, really bad voice actors. Hell, a lot of professional film actors are really, really bad voice actors.
  14. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I only want unit voices if they can be made by high quality voice actors with a good amount of humor and enough lines so that they don't get annoying in a couple of hours. Basically a Mickey Cantor robot with hundreds of lines.

But that would be really expensive and take a lot of time. I'd love to have it but I think it would bind too many resources atm. DLC maybe? :p