Reducing a Planets axis for rotation.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by izak, September 28, 2013.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

ahahaha :D

anyways yea the idea of turning off roll through a gui button in maya for example is genius.
    pole lock is obviously been there done that once you've gotten your bearings. Then you feel the need to not be hand-held and to have more freedom in your movement. personally I've come to be fluent with the rotation around the planet as is without pole lock (secret: it's sooo freakishly close to the zoom in and out technique of supcom, except you move the mouse around more dramatically, it could be much closer still, there's still some road to go). roll lacks some kind of key or ui because trying to do it with the scroll wheel is impossibru! but I'm sure it'll come along.
    Last edited: October 17, 2013
  2. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

@rorschachphoenix , I totally agree!
    There are MANY distinguishable points in Setons.
    I'm not a great Seton's player, so please forgive me if I butcher the terminology.

• North Sea
    • South Sea
    • Clutch
    • North Island
    • South Island
    • North Rock
      • Back
      • Cliff
    • North Back
    • North Beach
    • South Rock
      • Back
      • Beach
    • South Back
    • South Beach
    • North Mid Pond
    • North Side Pond
    • South Mid Pond
    • South Side Pond
    These are all distinct location with their own strategy for defense and specific tactics on how to invade.
    And this is on a "I can see everything" view.

I think many of us are still waiting to see that scale from PA.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/scale-megathread.48650/

When the planetary height and terrain features actually offer us something interesting, then maybe we won't get a lost.
    tatsujb likes this.
  3. tatsujb

4. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

We use the entire planet equally in PA. The world map does not put much focus on the poles as they are not inhabited. An unwrapped sphere shaped to a map would be stretched and skewed to a degree that it would provide more misinformation than the original confusion would. Try wrapping a rectangular peice of paper into sphere shape without overlapping anything. Now imagine doing that the other way around by unwrapping a spherical shape in a way that is oriented north on top, south on the bottom. The maps are actually currently subdivided cubes with a square map on each face that blends on the edges. Zooming out to strategic view is beyond superior to a minimap. When I played supcom I disabled the minimap as it was uselessly small for such a large scaled game.

For the OP:
    Try setting up camera anchors, pole locking, and using the N key lots to keep the map leveled out.
  5. izak

izak New Member

Let's use a more accessible example. Think of a landmark building were normally you only see it from one angle and thats how you recognize it. Now if you were to view it from the back, you might not recognize it right away because it looks so different. But then you remember the color of the paint, the design, nearby trees, etc.

In PA you can move across a planet in any direction. This means that instead of approaching a certain area from two opposite directions (like in my example) you can see it from 360 angles very quickly. Each time it would look slightly different (also keep in mind shadows and the fact that new buildings and units would alter the appearance each time you saw this location. Also keep in mind the special effects and bright colors that even temporarily change the way a building or area looks.

This is highly disorienting.

Anyone who hasn't recognized a book when presented with the back cover, who hasn't recognized a street they commonly drive on because they are traveling from the opposite direction that they normally drive, or didn't recognize a building or structure at sundown because of how the tones and colors changed will understand my point.
  6. tatsujb

seriously izak why aren't you trying pole lock option?
  7. izak

izak New Member

I've had to repeat myself multiple times already on that account. At least be cordial enough to read my posts. I read yours.
  8. tatsujb

this again may just be babel at work but I had read all your posts and just finished re-reading them and re-re-reading them. I'm flustered but i didn't see where. just provide quotes, it'll be cool.

If you already know about it then fine, I said in my own posts it is not the current best way to play PA. I just thought you would like it. I was just trying to help.