Real talk.Was the premature release a good idea ?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ragarnoy, September 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreidos

kreidos New Member

The problem is that once you put the "released" sticker on it; you're saying "It's done. It's feature-complete and you can review it now." People have every right to review it in it's current state, and point out the glaring omissions. It's very hard to dig a game back out of the metascore/steam-recommendation gutter once you've got that initial pool of reviews, even if they may be invalid after patching-in the missing features. I don't think PC-Gamer or IGN or even users will go back and re-review a game after the post-release buzz has died down.
    Aranfan, drz1 and nlaush like this.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That's really a big issue in the whole industry. The best games are the ones that stay in development forever and do not really even have a "release", yet the whole ratings industry goes about it "we judge at point X and write like it's final".
    squishypon3 and drz1 like this.
  3. kreidos

kreidos New Member

It's a shame none of the guys at Uber are experienced game developers who understand this model... oh wait.
  4. cola_colin

As I said the best games are the ones that do not have a clear release. It's not the fault of the developers, but of the people trying to judge at it some point in time X.
  5. valheria

valheria Active Member

I just don't like the fact that the 100's of bugs that have been in the game since beta are still freaking present.. Bug reporting just does not go well.. And the no offline mode is really bad. I don't really want anything bad to happen to uber in a way but i do hope they get a massive backlash in the coming weeks as it is the only way the will get a kick up the back side about the situation.

Bottom line is they should of held off release.. full stop
  6. kreidos

kreidos New Member

I disagree. Reviewers have a finite amount of time as well, and can't continually update their reviews if a game has a sort-of "rolling release" model. Consumers are also dependent on reviewers (And let's players, and other users) to let them know if a game is worth their money. The ad revenue, and viewership of any review will peak in the first week of a release, and quickly drop off after that; there just isn't incentive to give press coverage beyond that point.

What they are doing in the press is just good practice.
  7. cola_colin

For the press maybe. Not for the game developers or the players.
    I don't really like the whole game press for the most part so I guess I just disagree with you here.

I am sure they fixed even more bugs than you know of ;)
    Remy561, squishypon3 and philoscience like this.
  8. valheria

valheria Active Member

They can fix a million million bugs in this game.. But the fact that bugs such as big UI bugs i have reported ages ago are still existent just winds me up...
  9. cola_colin

Yeah the bugs one is focused on usually are the last ones to be fixed ^^
  10. kreidos

kreidos New Member

I don't like them any more than you do, but I appreciate how many games there are out there and how little time their is to play them all. I can't even find time to play them all, and I'm not required to write about each one I play!
  11. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Have you even been on the bug tracker? There are literally thousands of bugs being tracked and fixed. Every week new bugs are confirmed and ferreted out. Uber was releasing 1-2 builds per day in the run up to release. Each patch causes some new bugs that need to be fixed.

I am so sick of hearing about offline and saving. Literally the only time I ever wanted offline I was on a plane and I just played something else instead. We live with almost constant broadband connection. Saving is an even lower priority when most matches last less than 30 minutes. Most of all - these features are not far off. People who act like these two issues are deal breakers are just looking for something to complain about.
    Remy561 likes this.
  12. cola_colin

First of there are people who do not have the internet connection to play PA online. Yes they exist. We are both lucky not to be among them, but for them it sucks and no offline to them means no PA at all.
    Also the servers are a constant cause of performance issues that make people go "my pc is uber powerful, why does it lag". It would help a lot to get that off the table.
    Remy561, Aranfan and valheria like this.
  13. valheria

valheria Active Member

Offline mode is a deal breaker if you are on not on a fiber optic connection.. Not everyone has access to it mate and as for bugs read my other post that i said to another guy.. it explains why i said what i said because i'm fed of bug reporting if they going to blatantly ignore it
    Aranfan likes this.
  14. kreidos

kreidos New Member

When my first thought upon getting the "Planetary Annihilation is released" email was "Great! Now I can download it and play a LAN match with my friends." and finding only the same early-access launcher, a few bug fixes and a shiny "Done!" sticker on it I don't consider that 'looking for something to complain about'.
  15. Lukekk

Lukekk New Member

It's definitely fair to air your grievances, it's a fact that uber hasn't delivered on getting everything done when they said it would be finished by release. That being said, despite the lackluster release, we need to move on and look ahead if we are to push the developers to get this game to were it should be and onwards. It's good to note mistakes, but horrible to dwell on them.
    cola_colin likes this.
  16. cola_colin

They are not ignoring it, they just have more bugs than people to work on them. Patience is a virtue :p
  17. valheria

valheria Active Member

Well said.. thankyou
  18. philoscience

You don't need a fiber optic connection for PA to run well... 5 MBps is plenty. It's a multiplayer game. Offline is coming. Personally I don't care about it at all and it's ridiculous to act like it ruins the game without it.
    squishypon3 and Fr33Lancer like this.
  19. philoscience

Or you could just download it and play with those same friends online, using that connection you used to download it. Works great.
  20. j0hnb0y

j0hnb0y New Member

The game should not have been "released" in it's current state. Does anyone seriously think "release V1.0" feel like a finished game? Does it f**k.

I'm afraid we are still quite a few sandwiches short of a picnic here guys. Hate to mention that Kickstarter trailer and all that...And the fact that orbital is just an "above air" layer...

The game is ok...it's just a bit..average...underwhelming and UNFINISHED!

58%...Could do better
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.