Real talk.Was the premature release a good idea ?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ragarnoy, September 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

appealing to people and being told how to develope a game are 2 different things ....
    people may vote with their wallet but that doesnt make them having any idea of developmentmethods or businesspractisses ..
    get your infos of the product you have intrest in ... then dicide to buy or not to buy ... if you dont take any information and just buy reading a frontpage than you shouldnt be suprised being disapointed .. its your own fault ..
    the producer is only at fault for when he didnt provide enough or the right information ...
    Last edited: September 6, 2014
  2. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

Yes this is true, but to appeal to people you need make sure when you launch your game it won't make thousands of people butthurt about missing features and performance problems.
    nlaush likes this.
  3. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

And in a fairness, we don't know that THOUSANDS of people are annoyed yet.
  4. epicblaster117

I wasn't talking about PA specifically but that making many people mad is a bad way to launch a game.
    drz1 likes this.
  5. MrTBSC

in pa's case
    there arent much missing features that truely matter for the basegame imo
    aggreed on performence ... but its not like uber hasnt tried to optimise the game they actualy made huge jumps from phase to phase ... making further better performance should be a matter of time that i wonder if it truely would have warranted further delaying the game ..
  6. epicblaster117

Not many features missing? Have you seen the old kickstarter page? There are still many things the developers will be working on to deliver these promises.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

A promise isn't a guaranteed, not legally.

Game developers are businesses, why don't people expect them to be like businesses?

A business will do what's good for the business.
    Siylenia and MrTBSC like this.
  8. MrTBSC

which have been said time and again in the forum may be added post release ... do asteroid belts matter to the basegame? unitcannon? .. i mean like are they essential to the coregame ? no they are not .. but offline f.e is so people are not depandand on onlineconectivity .. this is not an mmorpg or any other kind of mmo afterall but a (imo) multiplayer(or skirmish if you like that better)focused rts that still can be played in singleplayer ..
  9. epicblaster117

Its not what importance something has to the base game, but the sudden disappointment that AT LAUNCH something that was promised to be at launch is not there. We add in the fact that performance is tanking pretty bad due to the lack of offline play and we get a mess of a launch, that of which I fear may cause problems for the future of PA,
    nlaush likes this.
  10. Shwyx

Shwyx Well-Known Member

After pondering on the topic for the last few days I can only say: Nope. It wasn't a good idea.

I'm quickly running out of stuff to do. With no single player (which is alright, PA was designed as a multiplayer-centric title and I'm fine with that) and no custom games / servers, I can only play regular games. These regular matches:

- offer very little balance and force me to play the same builds over and over again (Dox spam, avenger spam etc.)
    - offer very frustrating endgame either resulting in interplanetary stalemates or "rush the metal planet because the laser is OP"

Worst thing, though, is the complete lack of challenge. In a 1vs1 scenario, I'll most likely win >80% of my games. I've been playing RTS games for the better part of my gaming life. I love the challenge, I know there are good people on PA and I'd love to fight them - but I can't find them. No ladder, no matchmaking, so I can only stomp new players and quickly bore out from that experience.

This is the same experience a lot of new players will have. Stomp / get stomped or get bored to death in endgame. Right now, the game kinda feels like a skirmish simulator - there's not much to do so I'll usually log off again after a match or so. Hell, I can't even meet new people because there is no global chat (Helloooo StarCraft 2's worst mistake).
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

PA is a multiplayer focused title?

Like I know GW is kinda meh atm, but skirmish is cool.
  12. epicblaster117

MODS why you no play mods >.<
    Literally they fix balance issues, add cool new mechanics, and allow you to experiment with new changes.
  13. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

This would not be a problem if they were not advertising the 40 player games, saves, unit cannon, and offline play on the Steam store page for MONTHS during the early access. Now? It has vanished from the page. Many people bought the game when they listed those features as being part of the final product. Hell, they listed the kickstarter video with the unit cannon on the steam store page for months, which is why so many people were/are complaining about the unit cannon not being available.

I bought this game with the notion that it would have these features at launch. Several developers said it would be at launch in several instances. So I understand why people are, RIGHTLY SO, pissed about the launch of the game.
    moreez, Aranfan, Siylenia and 2 others like this.
  14. MrTBSC

and thus what should people do?
    yepp inform themselves over reviews and experiences from others before they decide to buy this game .. and believe me i am as nervous about the comming days as you are but the same thing still aplies .. people themselves should inform themselves over the actual status of the game and not buy into promises .. that is a mistake right there .. if i werent a backer i would have easily waited another month or 2 before jumping into this game ... why? because then i can be sure weither my comp can deal with the game or not through the information of others ..... but instead i willingly took the risk knowing with my limited hardware i might run into problems ... and if i had a chance to go back in time
    i would gladly do it again :D ..
  15. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Try pa stats matchmaking :)
    Lukekk likes this.
  16. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Try joining 6-8 player games and ask the host if you are allowed to play alone against shared armies of two players each ;)

Not that they would play flawless, but four eyes still see more than two, so you can expect some nice multi-front challenges.
  17. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

They never actually advertised the unit cannon, haha.
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Showing it off in the trailer actually quite clearly is advertisement.
    Siylenia, Quitch and nlaush like this.
  19. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

Cola_colin beat me to it.

They did. And people here were asking to have Uber replace it on the store page because it was not in the game.
  20. MrTBSC

there was however the line "conceptfootage" .. did orbital rockets work as shown in the concept? no
    are there two slot orbitaltrasports like in the video? no but we have the austreus ... the whole bla bla with the "egg?" nadda .. its the commanders entryanimation with no further influence .. unitcannon was merely hinted with a decal in game but thats it .. dont take conceptfootages as "set in stone" ... information guys ... its there ... mostly ...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.