real gates for placing in walls?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by miturian, February 7, 2014.

1. miturian

miturian Member

(apologies if this has been discussed before, but with the advent of teleporters, searching for "gate" is kind of pointless)

what would you say to being able to place a gate in a section of wall, such that your ground troops could pass, but the enemy couldn't?
    I'm not really a huge turtler myself, and I completely agree that it wouldn't change the gameplay much if at all, but I feel that being able to build a proper fortress would be kind of satisfying :)
    It's a small change, you might say it's almost entirely aesthetic, but I think it would fit in quite well with how I have seen at least some people play :)
    vackillers, shotforce13, RMJ and 4 others like this.
  2. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

Not gonna lie, the best part of C&C: Tiberian Sun (and, strangely, TA: Kingdoms, if anyone remembers it) was building gates to my bases. Sometimes I'd double or triple them up to make it impossible to breach.

It would certainly look nifty, but the only reason I could see to not include them would be the pathfinding hiccup it'd cause... and that may or may not be a pretty big deal.
    iron420 likes this.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I vaguely remember Uber saying something about adding gates months and months ago.

Gates would be a nice addition, just low priority.

I hope they get added.
  4. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Yeah, I can't remember a recent discussion about gates. We're still pretty focused on some fundamentals.
  5. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Yeah this would be cool. I like the idea of walls retracting into the ground to let units pass. You could also queue a move command onto the gate and then a destination afterwards to choose how you navigate through your defensive layers. Perhaps the gates could also be somewhat weaker than walls to add a little strategy to it.
    jodarklighter, cptconundrum and nhac like this.
  6. jodarklighter

jodarklighter Active Member

I would definitely prefer retractable walls over traditional gates, but I don't feel like the game would be missing much if neither were available at release.
  7. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Or laser gates, because everything is better with lasers.
    Corang and nixtempestas like this.
  8. jodarklighter

jodarklighter Active Member

Earth 2150 had laser fences. Between the energy upkeep cost and the fact that your enemies only had to destroy the projectors, they didn't work that great. But they sure did look cool, lol.
    Last edited: February 7, 2014
  9. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Hm. good point.

Also, as another idea to add onto this, maybe their could be two tiers of gates.
    Tier one is just a regular gate with higher HP, and it could be upgraded (like mexes) into a T2 gate which has a couple of single laser turrets attached to it, but the same amount of HP.
  10. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

Hmmmmm not a bad idea actualy .... for balance i would say let it have the same hp as a wall secment but since it would be a longerobject it would be easier to fire at .... or make it 2 3rds of a wall secments hp... and let it sink into the ground .... how long should it be? 6 to 10 wallsecments ?
  11. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Considering the massive improvements to walls being having line build and prevent bots from filtering through, it would be useful to have gates as a nice aesthetic.

+1 for gates that sink into the ground like supply depos in SC2..

I guess the second question is, do they automatically go down or manually.
  12. arthursalim

arthursalim Active Member

I like it it would allow lots of strategy and prevent the wall from being that gigantic piece of rock that you need to demolish to get trought
    :)
  13. MrTBSC

Actualy that would still aply to gates for the enemy to get through
  14. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Hmmm, but would you be able
    to sneak in by waiting for the enemy villagers doxen to open the gate and then flooding through with your paladins levellers, laying waste to the undefended farms and houses pgens and mexes?
    miturian likes this.
  15. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Honestly, if PA was more "defense" focused I'd probably agree with you, but from what I can see of PA so far I just don't see a serious need for gates.

Maybe if later on down the line we get a selection of new turrets or other defensive things I could see it being added on in that.

Mike
    igncom1 likes this.
  16. MrTBSC

Depends on personal playstyle ... it has been stated that stationary defense should be as viable as general offense ... so yeah its a simple "because why not" thing
  17. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Yes this is a wonderful idea. I always become sad, when games has walls and no gates.

Freaking loved building the gates in Age of empires games, that was the best part besides those huge walls :)
    miturian likes this.
  18. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

Being able to seal off a choke point without completely screwing yourself over is worth having gates as a feature.

I'm not in favor of supply depot walls. More units that have to check their AI parameters for auto-whatevering is bad. Let that be a function of a single gate unit at a time.
  19. KNight

KNight Post Master General

How is that better than just having a small defense force there?

Mike
  20. l3tuce

l3tuce Active Member

Speaking of walls, is there any chance they might become more procedural where adjacent wall tiles merge together to form a continuous chain instead of a bunch of pillars?

Also I had the idea of building turrets and radar on top of walls the same way you build T2 mex on top of T1 mex. That would be pretty tight, Not sure if it should give the turrets more HP or better elevation (which means longer range in some cases), but it would look cool and save space.