Re: "the gimmicky laser moon"

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by portable, September 16, 2014.

1. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

It never before occured to me that a single engineer + catalyst or haley could be used to attract nuclear weapons fire.
    It does sound cheaper (but slightly more micro-managerish) then building anti-nuke.
    And since the AI actually targets haleys, it works against that one too.

I alsmot thought you were going to say "to attarct nukes into you waitign anti-nukes", but this varaint works out too.
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Catalysts/halleys work by far the best as nuke (or SXX bait, I've got plenty of free SXX kills with a waiting umbrella by a catalyst). This is partly just psychological I guess, people go 'ermahgerd super weapon must destroy' but also I think I'm correct in saying that they're always visible, even without radar coverage?

Anyway I find baiting resource intensive weapons with a single catalyst/halley is pretty effective on a lot of occasions.
    cdrkf likes this.
  3. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

At least they appear on orbital Radar.
  4. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

Maybe double the build time or metal cost, so it's still a game winner, but really hard to actually complete.
  5. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

i just want to add -- and we do appreciate the feedback -- that we still view the metal planet laser as a balanced, game-ending weapon. of course, i really like this conversation. please continue. just wanted to make sure everyone knows where we are on the laser.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

wow.... like what's the point now ??
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

To discuss why it might not be as balanced, or other things that could make laser gameplay funner
  8. BradNicholson

i dunno. i feel like this is just a tad knee-jerky. feel free to discuss the good and the bad constructively. provide examples, maybe even. there's lots of conversation to be had about the weapon. i just want to make sure you're aware of how we feel about the weapon and its design. it's pretty natural for a developer to design something that they're proud of and believes works really well.
  9. igncom1

Well the unit functions as a map size decreaser.

Just like the asteroids.
  10. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

This is one of the main reasons for all of this game's shortcomings. And I don't mean that in a rude kind of way, its just that the developers are the least capable people of judging their own game.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  11. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

no because you can immediately destroy all of the map, whereas the asteroid functions as a map size decreaser just like you said which really illustrates it's progressive nature.
  12. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I personally agree with Uber on the annihilasor. It's powerful but also very difficult to actually get in a game with opponents of equal skill.

It's very easy for something to feel very OP if your on the receiving end of it, however in this case I think it's more likely a result of imbalanced games. A very strong team that expands to other planets and has a massive resource advantage will easily use an annihilasor to kill the weaker team. In a game where the teams and resources are even, the opponents will be able to prevent all 5 catalysts getting on line without much hassle (it's really hard to defend, especially as you can can't put defences in the middle of them so you can pretty much always attack them).
  13. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Well the Annihilaser is still a game-ender, even with a cool down..of lets say 5 min after the first shot
    bradaz85 likes this.
  14. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

You're kinda giving off mixed signals here, Brad.

You're basically saying "We think the annihilaser is perfect where it is, so we're not going to change it. But we do enjoy hearing your input on how it's imperfect and should be changed."
    bradaz85 likes this.
  15. BradNicholson

i disagree. we have an opinion. and maybe you have an opinion.
    lizard771 likes this.
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

What I got from it is that Brad's saying that it actually fits their idea of balance you see... People see it as imbalanced because they're looking at it wrong. It being game ender, super weapon, was literally the point. It pretty much works exactly as Uber imagined it to.

I feel it could at least use a cost increase though, as it's similar in cost to a galley yet can fire multiple times, AND destroy a planet.
  17. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

This is rather an alien concept in the strange dimension known as the 'Internet'...
    lapsedpacifist likes this.
  18. igncom1

*i agree*
  19. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Brad, I believe the asteroid smash is underpowerd compared to the lazor. You know it well Brad. Yes I'm referring to what happened at PAX.

I'm not saying a smash would destroy an entire planet, but it should at least destroy a lot more than it does now. Which also gives space for cool lava destruction effects. :p The lazor is fine if it's balanced with other annihilation weapons.
    Last edited: September 16, 2014
  20. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

I think attacking Brad is wrong, because as people already said, this weapon is balanced in its way and serves good and specific role in game. You can easly deny metal planet if you are a good player.
    DalekDan and cdrkf like this.