Ragnorak overide

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by stylisticsagittarius, October 26, 2015.

1. stylisticsagittarius

stylisticsagittarius Active Member

As we all know it happens quite a few times to much on a multip player planet where someone builds the ragnorak so nobody wins. Eventough the ragnorak is an important key to stop making games last forever there might be a solution for this.

Can a ragnorak countdow only start whenever the player who built it is not on the same planet? This way you cannot have in this way games that make no winner at all.

Eventough the same thing can be done with halley's i think the ragnorak is something diffrent and apart from that i don't know if this is even technicly possible.
  2. huangth

huangth Active Member

I think we should balance it by the metal price
    since everyone can see and react the Ragnarok when it is under construction.
    About the timer, I think it should keep the same as now.
    The problem is the larger planet requires more halleys to push,
    but any planet takes only one Ragnarok to destroy it.

For small planet, it is not a problem.
    But it is a big problem for large planet.
    For the planet with 750+ or 1000+ radius, it is very difficult for player to defend.
    The opponent can build the Ragnarok and hold it to destroy the planet,
    while traveling time make it very difficult to destroy the Ragnarok.

My idea is to increase the metal price of Ragnarok on large planet.
    60K metal is fine for the planet with less 500 radius.
    But I think the price for destroy larger planet should be higher.
    Maybe 90K for 750 radius, and 120K for 1000 radius planet.
    And the Ragnarok should also become bigger if it is placed on larger planet.

The downside is also quite obvious.
    Players always choose the large planet with more metal spots in a multiple planet system.
    Increasing the price of Ragnarok => nerf small planet, buff large planet.
    And it causes more stalemates for the system which contains multiple large planets.
    Last edited: October 26, 2015
  3. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

maybe it could work so that it won't start until your commander is safe.

But i like it how it is now for the lolz. It's about the fun isn't it?
    And if they can build on without you killing it then either the game has gone on too long or you would of lost to them anyway. Although i guess in FFA sometimes you may not notice the alert.

It's a good way to end a game that would otherwise drag on........
  4. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

Everytime I've seen a Ragnorak annihilate my planet I've always thought it was too soon. But who's fault is that? I guess I should have spotted them building it earlier.

I would much prefer a warning earlier than the one you are given so that you have the chance to build up a bit of an army to kill it.

Everytime I've heard the warning I've just about managed to get whatever bombers I have over for an attack but it's most often nowhere near enough. I can't fault the player building it though, a draw is better than a loss.
  5. huangth

huangth Active Member

You can hear the warning when your opponent starts to build it.
    I remember the warning message is "Enemy Ragnarok sited."
    It is similar to the warning of Halley and Catalyst.

Once you hear the warning, you must react it immediately.
    If you react it after it is finished, you have only one min remaining.
    And one min is usually too late to do anything but escape.

The time for you to react the Ragnarok depends on the eco of the opponent.
    If the enemy has a very good eco, he can finish the Ragnarok in no time.
    And he probably already builds the anti nuke, umbrellra, and AA before the Ragnarok.
    It is indeed no method to take out the Ragnarok before it destroies the planet.

I think the best way to prevent your opponent to build the Ragnarok on your planet is to prepare fighters and Zeus since ground AA units and building are not efficient to defend the Zeus.
    And the opponent from other planet is usually unable to get the air superiority on your own planet.

FFA in a singe large planet is anther situation.
    I think the best solution is to provide an option for host to disable the Ragnarok.
  6. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Balancing by planet size is counter-intuitive to the Ragnarok's design IMO.
    The ragnarok is for those situations where a planetary invasion is not viable but holding a beachhead for long enough is. That way you eliminate your opponent or their eco powerhouse while not emptying your base of uinits etc. It also helps to break interplanetary slugging matches.

The issue with FFAs is real though. IMO if you FFA on large planets you are a bad person simply because it'll turn into a slideshow with most turtling anyway. But you can always just rush up another titan/airforce nuke or whatever. It can even be turned to your advantage if someone is building a Ragnarok because one assumes others will attack the builder leaving their bases open for the taking - just make sure they kill off the Ragnarok before you take out their commander xD
  7. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

FFA on a large planet is the only fun game-type I've found aside from 1v1 and so I play it all of the time. I've not noticed the warning on first build, maybe it's as epic as it should be (although an epic warning at 20% built would be more suitable to stop abuse).
  8. huangth

huangth Active Member

In my experience, the FFA is not good for playing as a turtle.
    You may be unable to get the bounty.
    And most importantly thing, you get less income.

I have won many times in FFA, and I also have seen many other players who win in FFA.
    To win the FFA, the player must play aggressively.

In the single large planet FFA game, I think the most important units are air fighter, Zeus, and Artemis.
    Land units are just too slow to go far away, they are only useful to clear the nearby players.
    Air and orbital units are the key to take out the far enemy.

And in my experience, the duration of a 10 players FFA game seldom exceed one hour.
    Sometimes the game can be ended in less 35 min.
  9. stylisticsagittarius

True and that is a good thing. But that is also when 1 or 2 are clearly winning combined with bounty mode on (wich is fun). When it is not on then the matches can take longer especially when players are more up against each other. A ragnorak then can destroy suddenly a planet cuzz nobody thrusts it to sacrifice his own army as it would be suicide to go and kill the ragnorak. destroying often the planet with 4-5 livving commanders left. and there lies the problem.

I also agree that perhaps a more expensive or increased load timer could help on larger planets but i think the ragnorak not starting to load at all when the player that built it his commander would be on this planet, could solve all the problems together. cuzz higher price is also just a matter of delaying it it a bit longer and built just a bit more storages.
  10. huangth

huangth Active Member

But starting timer after commander leaves the planet also causes other issue.
    That is why I am against this idea.

In multiple planets system, everyone will build the Ragnarok to lock down his planet.
    Once the Ragnarok is finished with heavy umbrella and anti nuke defense,
    other players are unable to take the planet back.
    And the owner of Ragnarok can destroy the planet if he feel he can't hold it anymore.
    I think we should avoid any method to lock down the planet
    since it causes too many stalemate in late game and makes the duration of game longer.

The second problem is the Ragnarok also locks the commander to stay on the same planet.
    To avoid the timer of Ragnarok get triggered, the commander can't leave the planet.
    But the commander really needs to hide and dodge the enemy sniping from orbital unit, nuke, and unit cannon.
    Teleporter is very useful for commander to dodge on other planet temporarily.
    However, the Ragnarok is also triggered by the leaving of commander.
    I think this is very counter intuitive.
    tatsujb likes this.
  11. stylisticsagittarius

hmm you are right about that part
  12. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

also this would mean you couldn't set it off on a single planet system.
  13. stylisticsagittarius

true but that would also be kind of the point. Why would you built it on a single planet system just to get a draw?
  14. huangth

huangth Active Member

Because some players treat it as a win for themselves.

Or they just want to finish the game in hilarious style.
    Every other player may say WTF or lol after the Ragnarok work.:D
  15. stylisticsagittarius

hmm okay new one then. perhaps the charge timer should be increased along with the planet size.
    Wich also seems logical since the ragnorak is a nuke that is being sent in the planet and the further it has to go the longer it would take right?
  16. huangth

huangth Active Member

It is logical, but the alarm message must be remade.

Currently, we only have the speech voice: "Planetary annihilation in one min!"
    If the timer of Ragnarok is variable, we may need 2 min, 3 min, 5 min versions of warning message.
  17. stylisticsagittarius

hmmm.

Perhaps a red warming border (like in many shooters when you take damage) around your screen. whenever a planetary annihalation deveice is being constructed (annihalaser hally ragnorak). and an even brighter effect whenever one of these constructs is finished could do the trick here?