Ragnarok

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by killerkiwijuice, August 18, 2015.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Maybe, it depends on if you can *actually get into a situation where it makes sense to use it* however. I'm not saying your wrong, just that I think it needs play testing more.

Imo, the situations this lends itself to are very niche as:

You need to have multiple planets
    You need to have a small but well defended foothold onto a predominantly enemy planet
    The enemy needs to be sufficiently strong to prevent you from using cheaper (and imo more fun) attack methods like gating in a huge army or simply pushing out from your stronghold you hold to allow building of the Ragnarok. This isn't like building a halley on a rock you have control over- it *has* to be built in a contested area for it to make sense.

If anything, I think it might be OP in FFA games perhaps? As if you know you've lost but several players are still in game, you could feasibly porc up and pour all your eco into this to force a draw?
    pjkon1 likes this.
  2. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

You may want to read this one:
    Suggestion for Ragnarok
  3. pjkon1

pjkon1 Member

I agree that it's easy to build and does a lot (blowing up a planet is big). What I don't see is how this easy blowing up of planets translates into easy winning of the game.

Who knows. Maybe with the new invasion titians getting onto a planet will be so easy that in the late game it will come down to whoever gets to the other guys planet with a lot of fabbers first wins. I'm just not seeing it at the moment, not when your opponent can build titians on his own planet that will flatten any static defenses you put up around your beachhead. Actually cdrkf said it better then me.
    Last edited: August 20, 2015
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Just picturing it now, send a Helios and an Atlas to a large enemy planet with 30 t2 fabbers and you'll build that thing super fast. The enemy won't have time to react, especially if it's a large planet like 900 radius or above.
  5. pjkon1

pjkon1 Member

I was under the impression that they were patching out the teleportability of titians. Is this false? Also if you're Landing titians and mob of fabbers you're turning the place into a tempting nuke target. How fast can you build that anti-nuke?

You are right that this becomes more of a problem as planet sizes go up, but this means that there will always be a planet size at which ragnarok is useless and one at which it is OP. The question is what size should it be optimized for. To that I have no answer and do not know what cost would corespond to what planet size.
    Last edited: August 20, 2015